7 Day Hire From Braunston - Suggestions for Route

Edmontonian

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Long time reader here, although very infrequent poster looking to tap the collective knowledge of the forum - we've hired a boat for our crew of 6 from Braunston in mid-September, and don't really have an itinerary decided yet. We're fairly experienced hirers and don't mind doing long days if it gets us somewhere worth seeing, but would prefer a fairly relaxing week with plenty of stops at decent real ale pubs if possible. I know there are a number of options open to us in terms of where to go, some thoughts that we have are:

North South Oxford

River Nene

Leicester / Market Harborough

Warwickshire Ring (although we've done this before in the distant past)

Something else :)

Does anyone have any views on the relative merits of the above options - any feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Edmontonian

The Warwickshire Ring gives the greatest variety.

An alternative not mentioned would be the North Oxford to Hawkesbury Junction, Coventry to Marston Junction and to the end of the Ashby and back? Only 4 operable locks each way (and one of those is a stop lock). Very relaxing.

Edited by cuthound
Spurious space

The South Oxford is a really nice trip with a good variety. The downside this year is that a lot of the locks are time restricted. You would work long days to get to Oxford and back under normal conditions but you don't have to go all the way.

What about South along the GU?  Pubs at Norton, Weedon, Heyford, Bugbrooke, Blisworth, Stoke Bruerne, Cosgrove.

Two tunnels, one museum and say 20 locks each way.

Less pubs but perhaps more canal interest if you go up the Leicester line to say Foxton and to Welford as a diverson one way. 

Apart from Watford I don't think there are any time restrictions either way, yet.

N

I'd thoroughly recommend a trip to Market Harborough and back., however with a crew of 6 you may find this a bit light on locks...

If you wanted to do this route I'd aim for something like:

Day 1  - part day an hour or so to The Admiral Nelson at the third lock (moor up between the 2nd and 3rd lock) - You might want to do this stop on the way back depending on timings.

Day 2 - Crick - remaining 4 locks in Braunston flight, tunnel then turn left at Norton and up Watford flight (7 locks including 4 in staircase) and through Crick Tunnel - Good food at the Wheatsheaf and Red Lion or pop into the Crick Club and meet a few locals.

Day 3 - Market Harborough  - Husbands Bosworth tunnel and Foxton staircase (10 locks in 2 fives and visit the Boilerhouse Museum if open) Harborough is a lovely market town a short walk from the wharf - if you like real ale visit the Beerhouse tap rooms. (check times for Foxton staircase!)

Day 4 - Welford Wharf - return through Foxton and turn left at Welford Junction a lovely rural bit of canal with 1 small lock The Wharf pub is good and take a walk around the feeder reservoir/s

Day 5 - Back to Norton Junction visit the White Horse in Welton -  moor up near Welton Hythe marina and walk across the fields. It's a lovely country pub but a bit of a walk from the canal.

Day 6 - Turn left at Norton Junction and descend the Buckby flight (7) then past Gayton Junction and through Blisworth tunnel. Overnight near Stoke Bruerne top lock then reverse back and wind before the tunnel. Good pubs - Boat and Navigation (we prefer the Boat) also excellent Indian Restaurant by the top lock.

Day 7 - Back to Braunston ready for boat return in the morning (see day 1)

Whatever you decide I hope this helps!

First time in years we are on the Leicester arm summit going to Market Harborough. I forgot just how quiet and tranquil the summit is once you lave Crick behind. If you don't need pubs or daily supplies you could do a lot worse, lots of nice rural moorings.  The only thing than may make me change my recommendation is if the present restricted lock opening hours are tightened but that is likley to be the same for the South Oxford summit.

If it was many years ago you did the Warwickshire Ring it could be worth doing it again. It is an excellent ring with great variety. Did you go via North Stratford or via Knowle locks last time? Perhaps do the other route this time. You could also go the other way round the ring to make it a bit different.

Market Harborough would be pretty leisurely. I got to the bottom of Foxton (i.e. down the locks and back again) on a midweek hire from Stockton top. That's further than you would do in a week. However it might make sense to do Market Harborough first with the aim of combining it with a trip to Stoke Bruerne. You'll be close to base and easily able to manage your time as you see fit knowing you will be able to get back to base. If you do the Leicester Arm do take the short trip to Welford in one direction as well.

JP

Really appreciate the detailed replies and ideas everyone - I'd say Mal's itinerary is looking favourite so far, but I need to speak with the rest of the crew to see if they have a preference. Interesting that nobody has mentioned the Nene, is it worth the extra license or is a week not really enough to do it justice from Braunston?

Cheers

13 minutes ago, Edmontonian said:

Really appreciate the detailed replies and ideas everyone - I'd say Mal's itinerary is looking favourite so far, but I need to speak with the rest of the crew to see if they have a preference. Interesting that nobody has mentioned the Nene, is it worth the extra license or is a week not really enough to do it justice from Braunston?

Cheers

I don't think a week is enough to try the Nene , a load of locks to get to it , then you wouldn't get that far before you have to turn around and do all the locks again, plus you want the weather to be nice to you. Great place to go, but a week from braunston, is a bridge too far .