Death By Dangerous Cycling - New Laws

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, MJG said:

I didn't say wearing a helmet protected you from a collision/impact with a car, so you wasted a lot Of time typing that little lot.

So feel free to explain why helmets are a rarity in keen cycling countries? More people are injured on cycles there because there are more cyclists nothing to do with helmet use.

Just to give a source, this may be of assistance,(  http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1258.html ) but since you clearly didn't read the work of Dr Meyer-Hillman, perhaps facts aren't of much interest

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

7 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

So feel free to explain why helmets are a rarity in keen cycling countries? More people are injured on cycles there because there are more cyclists nothing to do with helmet use.

Strangely I'm on a caravan site with a lot of Dutch who also happen to cycle, they seem to be wearing helmets when they go off on their bikes. Perhaps being campers and caravanners endows them with more sense?

9 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Yawn!
Give it a rest!!

I feel sorry for anybody he ever arrested, I bet they confessed just to get away from the continuous blathering.

Edited by MJG

Can somebody let me speak to the custody sergeant? Is there a murder you need clearing up, I'll confess, truly I will.

I can hear them now  lol.

Anyway there is a storm brewing here and I need to lash some stuff down, I may catch you later if I can be remotely bothered. TTFN.

Caravans are the wide beam menace of the roads.

Completely inappropriate vehicle causing misery and obstruction for all, hogging the road

I was knocked off my bike in 2007 by a twat driving one of them in the Cotswolds - he overtook me and just ran me off the road with the caravan. I never got his number though. Now that is someone who deserved a dangerous driving conviction.  Not sure a helmet would have helped me as I was just stuck in the hedge. 

34 minutes ago, MJG said:

I didn't say wearing a helmet protected you from a collision/impact with a car, so you wasted a lot Of time typing that little lot.

You said any cyclist not wearing a helmet should go to jail.

ETA Which is what prompted my original 'contribution' to this thread

Edited by George and Dragon

20 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's as ridiculous as being taxed on your income and then taxed on what you save, taxed on it when you spend it, then taxed on it again when you die.

Totally absurd suggestion. What government would implement such a thing?

I’m outraged! (It’s about time somebody was). 

As regards the helmet debate, probably not too many people have direct experience but at the risk of prompting a "that explains a lot comment" I've fallen off bikes loads of times and three times landed on my head.  The most spectacular was some years ago in a road race when I went over the bars Mark Cavendish style and the helmet I was wearing completely shattered on impact.  I would have finished the race except that helmets were by then compulsory in British racing so I had to retire.  I don't think there's much doubt that without protection I would have sustained a fractured skull at least.  The first time I was hit by a car from the side, this was before hard shell helmets became available and I was off work for six weeks with among other things a lot of nerve damage to the right side of my head.  The third time I hit a pothole and spent three days in hospital with concussion, luckily the first person on the scene was the local GP just like in Doc Martin.

I am reluctantly persuaded that helmets are a good thing.

Edited by Neil2
spleting
  • Greenie 2

25 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

As regards the helmet debate, probably not too many people have direct experience but at the risk of prompting a "that explains a lot comment" I've fallen off bikes loads of times and three times landed on my head.  The most spectacular was some years ago in a road race when I went over the bars Mark Cavendish style and the helmet I was wearing completely shattered on impact.  I would have finished the race except that helmets were by then compulsory in British racing so I had to retire.  I don't think there's much doubt that without protection I would have sustained a fractured skull at least.  The first time I was hit by a car from the side, this was before hard shell helmets became available and I was off work for six weeks with among other things a lot of nerve damage to the right side of my head.  The third time I hit a pothole and spent three days in hospital with concussion, luckily the first person on the scene was the local GP just like in Doc Martin.

I am reluctantly persuaded that helmets are a good thing.

A greenie Neil for completely understanding the point I was making.

Thankyou.

A helmet will not protect you in some accidents but it will in others.

1 hour ago, MJG said:

A greenie Neil for completely understanding the point I was making.

Thankyou.

A helmet will not protect you in some accidents but it will in others.

Well if we follow the 'point you are making' through to it's logical conclusion, why are passengers and drivers in cars not compelled to wear helmets? Rally drivers use them, Formula 1 drivers use them and they are all travelling in the same direction. If you die in a car crash one of the most likely causes is going to be a head injury so if everyone wearing a helmet whilst in a motor vehicle saves just one life then it would all be worthwhile, wouldn't it?? In your view everyone wearing cycle helmets may save save a life so it is the same logic.

7 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Well if we follow the 'point you are making' through to it's logical conclusion, why are passengers and drivers in cars not compelled to wear helmets? Rally drivers use them, Formula 1 drivers use them and they are all travelling in the same direction. If you die in a car crash one of the most likely causes is going to be a head injury so if everyone wearing a helmet whilst in a motor vehicle saves just one life then it would all be worthwhile, wouldn't it?? In your view everyone wearing cycle helmets may save save a life so it is the same logic.

I'm not being funny mate but have you actually fallen off your bike and landed on your head? Recently.

Because only somebody who had and had actually suffered a brain injury could come up with as stupid response as that.

Cars last time I checked are filled with multiple safety devices and don't get anywhere near the speeds of f1.

Frankly you are being ridiculous.

1 minute ago, MJG said:

I'm not being funny mate but have you actually fallen off your bike and landed on your head? Recently.

Because only somebody who had and had actually suffered a brain injury could come up with as stupid response as that.

Cars last time I checked are filled with multiple safety devices and don't get anywhere near the speeds of f1.

Frankly you are being ridiculous.

Having ridden for 125,000 miles (at least) over the last 25 years, I haven't fallen off the bike and landed on my head......ever. I've come off three times,twice on ice and once  on diesel and on no occasion got anywhere close to hitting my head. I've had 'gravel rash' on my legs as a result, and grazed hands, but oddly enough, when people fall over, they tend to protect their head, at least I do, perhaps you don't.

There is no rational reason why drivers and passengers in cars should not have to wear helmets, the speed of the formula 1 car is irrelevent since if they crash at maximum speed (say 220 mph) the forces involved are such that a helmet will make only minor difference. An F1 car has a far better stopping capability than you or your caravan so prior to any impact they will have lost a considerable amount of their momentum.

What I don't really need is 'advice' from someone who knows nothing about cycling, doesn't cycle themselves and clearly has a downer on cyclists. Would you take some advice from someone who hates caravanners?

2 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Having ridden for 125,000 miles (at least) over the last 25 years, I haven't fallen off the bike and landed on my head......ever. I've come off three times,twice on ice and once  on diesel and on no occasion got anywhere close to hitting my head. I've had 'gravel rash' on my legs as a result, and grazed hands, but oddly enough, when people fall over, they tend to protect their head, at least I do, perhaps you don't.

There is no rational reason why drivers and passengers in cars should not have to wear helmets, the speed of the formula 1 car is irrelevent since if they crash at maximum speed (say 220 mph) the forces involved are such that a helmet will make only minor difference. An F1 car has a far better stopping capability than you or your caravan so prior to any impact they will have lost a considerable amount of their momentum.

What I don't really need is 'advice' from someone who knows nothing about cycling, doesn't cycle themselves and clearly has a downer on cyclists. Would you take some advice from someone who hates caravanners?

Here mate you wear a helmet if you like, or dont bother if you like.

I honestly don't think if you took  a hard knock on your head would make any difference to you.

The damage appears to be done already.

Just now, MJG said:

Here mate you wear a helmet if you like, or dont bother if you like.

I honestly don't think if you took  a hard knock on your head would make any difference to you.

The damage appears to be done already.

If we are going for the personal, I believe it is an early sign of dementia to wish to take up caravanning;)

3 hours ago, MJG said:

He wasn't wasting his time.  I found it both interesting and informative.  Not wearing a helmet also helps avoid the dreaded 'helmet hair'!

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

He wasn't wasting his time.  I found it both interesting and informative.  Not wearing a helmet also helps avoid the dreaded 'helmet hair'!

Your pic says otherwise!:D

Edited by rusty69

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

That is very true. A most important consideration.

7 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

In fairness I wasn't saying 'wear a helmet', I wasn't saying 'don't wear a helmet' what I am saying is don't expect it to be a lifesaver in the most common accident that you are likely to have on a bike, 'cos it wont be. Whether someone wears one or not is down to personal choice and should not be down to the law, the facetious comment about 'sending them to jail' was precisely that a facetious comment that wasn't even funny (if that was the intention).

• Greenie 1