Death By Dangerous Cycling - New Laws

Featured Posts

As has been said - if cyclists use the bell they are accused of 'telling people to get out of the way' and if they don't they are 'nearly mown down'. 

In the end, these objections and suggestions for control and punishment of people on bicycles are just a range of fig leafs for just not wanting them to be there at all, and looking for reasons to justify that state of mind. 

• Greenie 1

22 hours ago, Tigerr said:

As has been said - if cyclists use the bell they are accused of 'telling people to get out of the way' and if they don't they are 'nearly mown down'. 

In the end, these objections and suggestions for control and punishment of people on bicycles are just a range of fig leafs for just not wanting them to be there at all, and looking for reasons to justify that state of mind. 

What a lot of the complainants need to remember is that the use of cycles on the towpath pre-dates leisure use of boats by quite a long way. It was one of the first jobs given to the kids living on their parent's working boats, to ride ahead and set the locks, known as 'lock-wheeling'. Being kids, and working to boot, I don't suppose that they gave any consideration whatsoever to any pedestrians that may have got in their way since their task was to set the next lock or get a thick ear from Dad, an upset pedestrian wouldn't have even been a consideration against that. There is no primacy today since both the boaters and the cyclists today are using the towpath for exactly the same purpose, leisure, and if they are all taxpayers, they are all contributing to the upkeep of the system (DEFRA Grant).

Yes, people need to be considerate to one another but I have found that the majority do, but then we don't hold conversations about how considerate people have been, either cyclists or motorists, we always talk about the  one's who have been a complete *rse (again either cyclists or motorists).

3 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

What a lot of the complainants need to remember is that the use of cycles on the towpath pre-dates leisure use of boats by quite a long way. It was one of the first jobs given to the kids living on their parent's working boats, to ride ahead and set the locks, known as 'lock-wheeling'. Being kids, and working to boot, I don't suppose that they gave any consideration whatsoever to any pedestrians that may have got in their way since their task was to set the next lock or get a thick ear from Dad, an upset pedestrian wouldn't have even been a consideration against that. There is no primacy today since both the boaters and the cyclists today are using the towpath for exactly the same purpose, leisure, and if they are all taxpayers, they are all contributing to the upkeep of the system (DEFRA Grant).

Yes, people need to be considerate to one another but I have found that the majority do, but then we don't hold conversations about how considerate people have been, either cyclists or motorists, we always talk about the  one's who have been a complete *rse (again either cyclists or motorists).

A couple of points.

First there is a big difference between a child from a working boat and a speeding commuter/time trialist if only in numbers.

Second were pedestrians (other than other working boats) allowed on the towpaths then.

5 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

we always talk about the  one's who have been a complete *rse (again either cyclists or motorists).

There does seem to be general theme on this forum  of certain  people not liking other people

Categories who seem to  attract negative comments seem to include  ............

cyclists

pedestrians

people who run their engines while tied up

people who run generators

engines that run smooth and don't chug along

runners  

anglers

wide beams

hire boats

hobby boaters

cruisers

motorists

motorcyclists

canoes

C&RT

E.A.

marinas

People who keep their boat in a marina .

Just about anyone who uses the inland waterways and wasn't born on a narrow boat.

I may have missed some .

On 19/08/2018 at 23:34, Alan de Enfield said:

It is an offence in the USA, but I cannot find it listed as an offence for the UK

Under the highways Act 1980 there is an offence of 'obstruction' but that is for 'fixed' articles such as parked cars, builders skips, trees, etc.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/66/part/IX/crossheading/obstruction-of-highways-and-streets

sorry I was away working at reading festival.

I would agree it's not legislated per se, however without due care and attention maybe a high bar to convict, the charge of driving without reasonable consideration  would be one that should cover it. 

It does cover miss use of any lane or 

unnecessarily slow driving or braking without good cause. whilst not an actual offence  it would in some situations be covered.  obviously only my opinion.

I suspect the attitude rest would have s big part.

in Scotland there are many road signs about not impeding following traffic.

On 30/08/2018 at 18:02, MartynG said:

There does seem to be general theme on this forum  of certain  people not liking other people

Categories who seem to  attract negative comments seem to include  ............

cyclists

pedestrians

people who run their engines while tied up

people who run generators

engines that run smooth and don't chug along

runners  

anglers

wide beams

hire boats

hobby boaters

cruisers

motorists

motorcyclists

canoes

C&RT

E.A.

marinas

People who keep their boat in a marina .

Just about anyone who uses the inland waterways and wasn't born on a narrow boat.

I may have missed some .

The People's Front of Judea!

On 12/08/2018 at 20:12, Murflynn said:

walking along my Sunday path with the dogs this morning an *sshole approached me at about 30mph down a slight incline, slowing when he met me.  full camouflage gear and a very sophisticated looking electric bike.  I hope a large heavy dog jumps out of the wood and knocks him flying.  our local parks tolerate bikes but suggest 10mph maximum. 

Assuming his electric bike was legal, the motor assistance cut out at 15.5mph, otherwise it was an electric moped needing registration, tax, insurance etc

• 9 months later...
On 12/08/2018 at 23:19, Chewbacka said:

I remember years ago a ‘safety expert’ saying the best device to fit to a car was a spike in the centre of the steering wheel pointing straight at the drivers head, tends to focus ones concentration on driving.

I'm pretty sure my own concentration would be firmly focussed on the spike!!