Death By Dangerous Cycling - New Laws

Featured Posts

According to the BBC news tonight (Sunday 12/8) there is to be a new law.

It will basically revolve around when Cyclists Kill Pedestrians.

Didn't catch the full details, but a Google search yields this :

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/dangerous-cycling-new-legislation-death-criticised-kim-briggs-uk-a8487701.html

If you have seen some of the idiotic cycling in London it has merit, but the usual course of events is idiot on bike dives between cars and crosses lanes, or jumps red light. Motorist shocked, at idiot from nowhere, swerves or brakes suddenly, loud bang hopefully just bent metal, meanwhile the super green and safe cyclist disappears into the distance.  Some cyclists in London seem hell bent on committing suicide, but it is extremly rare they impact anyone enough to cause death.

• Greenie 2

When I was cycling in London a few years ago I used to feel quite alone when waiting for traffic lights on the Seven Sisters Road and many cyclists were flying past, sometimes ringing bells to try to move me out of the way. I used the towpaths from Kensall Green and Paddington, but being a boater never lost sight of the slow life of boaters or pedestrians. Not to say I am a slow cyclist by any means.....used to do Corby to Leicester and back at Club pace , but I don't take risks with my or others safety.

• Greenie 1

Interesting proposal.  I see this as potentially also related to towpath cycling and feel it is, from that perspective, a step to far.  So far as road cycling and having experienced the London experience, many times in my life as a driver, this could not come too soon.  

They are bringing cycling legislation into line with motoring that is all. As i said its a non issue.

government has little to do at present, brexit is fixed, the economies going well, nhs flourishing, no drug problems, queues applying to the police force , there are no guns or knives around, and education is the wonder of the world. Its a fair equitable society, with no crime and prison officers sit around playing dominos with  the prisoner.

Time to go after the rare and unusual event then.

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, Tonka said:

will it cover off road (i.e woodland path's, tow path's & pavements etc) or is just on road

walking along my Sunday path with the dogs this morning an *sshole approached me at about 30mph down a slight incline, slowing when he met me.  full camouflage gear and a very sophisticated looking electric bike.  I hope a large heavy dog jumps out of the wood and knocks him flying.  our local parks tolerate bikes but suggest 10mph maximum. 

I moored quite regularly below Cowroast lock, a lovely rural location.  BW saw fit to allow a cemented gravel track path along the stretch to support some Sustrans cycleway project.

You, and I one morning, can expect a speedway experience of mountain bikes inches from your nose when trying to get off your boat, stuff pets or toddlers, they will not be able to stop in time.

44 minutes ago, pete.i said:

Excellent news. This is a small step towards taming extremely dangerous bikers. Now lets have compulsory insurance and road tax for bikers.

Unfortunately, it won't tame the extremely dangerous motorists who appear to take pride in driving their precious metal box at speed with little or no regard for the damage they can do to cyclists. (there were 3 such idiots on this mornings ride).

I drive every day in London about 100 miles a day. I am also a cyclist but SOME cyclist frighten the life out of me. They are obviously timing their rides and most have headphones on. They have absolutely no regard for anyone else on the road including other cyclists. The worst one are those that come along the nearside of my van as I am turning left. I am very aware of bikes and always check my mirrors before turning but they just keeping coming and assume that I am going to stop to let them overtake on the nearside. I also always give cyclist the required minimum clearance when overtaking but they often will come between me and another vehicle with just inches to spare. The 20mph speed limit in lots of London boroughs is completely ignored by these maverick riders, I am frequently overtaken by cyclists in or near the cycle track when I am keeping to the limit 

• Greenie 3

Or the one who stopped on a narrow country road after i had gone onto the grass to let his tonka toy get past me last week and then deliberatly reversed into me shouting obscenities about me not getting out of his way. I had been doing 50kph over the canal bridge from cropedy with him 3 feet off my back wheel, in the moments before. 

Im only fricking representing my country in the world championships on the bike in 3 weeks time...

20 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Im only fricking representing my country in the world championships on the bike in 3 weeks time...

Well I suggest you may be getting there a bit earlier (so slow down a bit) The World Championships are being held in Innsbruck, starting 23rd September (which is 6 weeks away)

Now wonder we have problems with cyclists they don't even know what day of the week it is.

27 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Or the one who stopped on a narrow country road after i had gone onto the grass to let his tonka toy get past me last week and then deliberatly reversed into me shouting obscenities about me not getting out of his way. I had been doing 50kph over the canal bridge from cropedy with him 3 feet off my back wheel, in the moments before. 

52 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

Unfortunately, it won't tame the extremely dangerous motorists who appear to take pride in driving their precious metal box at speed with little or no regard for the damage they can do to cyclists. (there were 3 such idiots on this mornings ride).

And of course you made a note of ther registration numbers and reported them to the Police, didn't you?

I spy flying pigs!!

Cycling on the public highway should be banned.

They are a bloody nuisance.

Cycleways only for them that insist on riding a bike and a jail term if they don't wear a helmet.

End of.

18 minutes ago, peterboat said:

There are good and bad cyclists just like car, bus or lorry drivers

This is perfectly true of course but in a collision between a bad cyclist and a good car driver the bad cyclist will inevitably come off worse, and possibly die. This leaves the good car driver with that memory for the rest of their life.

Seperate them.

Just now, George and Dragon said:

If there was proper provision for cyclists I might be prepared to concede a point. But there isn't and you're a knob.

No I have an opinion that differs to yours, that doesn't actually make me a knob.

Though as far as name calling goes you need to up your game, I've been called a lot worse.

2 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Its a knee jerk response to the irresponsible idiot who rode a single gear bike , into a lady who walked into him 2 years ago. Had the fool had brakes it would have been a non issue.

Even with brakes he would have still hit her. Going from 25mph to 0 mph in less than 20 feet is not possable.

• Greenie 1