Winter. Cruising. Where?

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Hello.

Thoughts are turning to winter. We like Winter, for diffferent reasons we like Summer.

We don't want winter moorings nor marina moorings. We keep moving and exploring.

We are currently at Hillmorton but are returning to Warwick in the next week. Grandson visit.There after we have no plans. Suggestions from the crew, me included, are,

1. Continue through Brumingham, and spend winter north.

2. Turn around and back through Braunston. Continue on GU south. Stoke Bruerne, Milton Keynes and all points South. Unfamiliar ground (water).

3. Or back here to Hillmorton, Coventry Canal and North. 

We are open minded. So far since moving onboard we have wintered South/North Oxford. Leeds &Liverpool Canal (western end). Staffs & Worcs Canal. Kennet & Avon Canal. (Mainly western end). 

We have more cruising to do until brrrrrr! time but we could head off in a direction.

Any thoughts? Just picking brainsof experience. We also have to think of fuel,coal and diesel supplies. Such a wonderful problem to have.

Martyn

14 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Any thoughts? Just picking brainsof experience.

Assuming (dangerous thing to do !!!!) C&RT plan to do some maintenance (with un-coordinated  closures, and effectively shut down the navigations) add this to the already 'closed' canals with unknown re-opening dates, already resulting in restricted cruising options, it may be prudent to stay "South" of Birmingham / Leicester.

We spent the last two Winters on the Soar, the 2 Winters before on the North Oxford/ Upper GU, the previous on the lower T&M, Trent/Soar so you can see we prefer the open spaces of the river to the muddy ditches.

I would spend time on the Leicester line but you are always far away from transport links and shops so haven't done it except for short jaunts out.

You will find that anywhere around or South of MK the moorings close by facilities get even more dominated by the CCC'ERS.  (Trade mark) commuting continuous cruisers.

Julie Fuels and Mark on Callisto give good service from Fradley to well down the GU, beyond that there are plenty of other fuel boats. 

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, matty40s said:

We spent the last two Winters on the Soar, the 2 Winters before on the North Oxford/ Upper GU, the previous on the lower T&M, Trent/Soar so you can see we prefer the open spaces of the river to the muddy ditches.

I would spend time on the Leicester line but you are always far away from transport links and shops so haven't done it except for short jaunts out.

You will find that anywhere around or South of MK the moorings close by facilities get even more dominated by the CCC'ERS.  (Trade mark) commuting continuous cruisers.

Julie Fuels and Mark on Callisto give good service from Fradley to well down the GU, beyond that there are plenty of other fuel boats. 

Thanks for that. Jules Fuels and Mark we have bought from before. There's another boat that does the Nene isn't there? I wouldnt venture onto the Nene in the winter as it's been known toget a bit high.

Thank Alan regarding stoppages etc. Need to investigate. Is the programme published yet for this coming winter?

We did Norton Junction down to the start of the Aylesbury arm, for the first time, earlier this year.

We liked it!

Milton Keynes by canal was much better than I expected. 

If it's new to you I'd say it's well worth a go.

Edit.. I normally mark M in my guide for potential future mooring spots. I gave up on the GU South as there were so many.

Edited by Lily Rose

Alan and I met about three or more years ago when I criticised, I think his son, for leaving top gates open on the GU. Alan called round to 'advise me' that top gates do actually open after you have left a Lock. Hopefully, this is well and truly behind us now and I'll be able to trade with them if and when our courses cross.

56 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Thank Alan regarding stoppages etc. Need to investigate. Is the programme published yet for this coming winter?

Yes - 87 pages of 'Winter Stoppages'

The Llangollen is closed for 3 full months (Jan 2nd to March 31st)

Attached.

2018-19 Canal Stoppages.pdf

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Would rather not do locks when it's cold and slippy. We spent most of last winter on the Coventry above Atherstone, up and down the Ashby, venturing on the Oxford, and on the odd occasions through HIllmorton, and around Braunston. We wanted to get onto the Thames for the Spring, so we did set off from Braunston at the start of Feb. Sitting out the frozen Beast from East in Leighton Buzzard. 

Will be keeping an eye on this thread for 'inspiration' ?

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes - 87 pages of 'Winter Stoppages'

The Llangollen is closed for 3 full months (Jan 2nd to March 31st)

Attached.

2018-19 Canal Stoppages.pdf

Thanks for that Alan. Out of interest I looked at the G&S, our home water, and find:

Upgrade to the bridge, including a new control panel, wig wags, road barriers and hydraulics.

What the dickens is a wig wag?????????????

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I believe it originally came from the American railways where a red light was swung about to signify that a train was coming.

Image result for wig wag arms railways

Not the first red light advertising swingers

• Horror 1

20 hours ago, matty40s said:

Bletchley (Nene) has just been sold to JulesFuels, whether she is running it on the Nene or Alan is buying a new boat I am not sure. Alan does deliver to the Nene by road as well though.

Jules and Richard are using Bletchley instead of Towcestervt the moment, as Towcester’s engine needs significant work.  Richard told me that once it’s fixed, they will use the two boats to mean they can operate both sides of winter stoppages.

Just looking at the stoppages for this coming winter. In the past you have been able to view areas with pretty maps with numbered indicators of the stoppage. You then scroll down and see in detail what's happening. The present available, as far as I can see, lists are all jumbled around the country in date order. Confusing to me. I like simplicity. Is it likely that the mapping system will appear as if by magic sometime soon?

I'm hoping they will do the map once the final list of stoppages is agreed on - I think it is still just the second draft at the moment?

I am planning to spend the winter on the upper Lea and the Stort as neither have any stoppages planned, but the southern grand union is also a good route - a nice mix of villages/towns and rural spots with plenty of fuel boats

• Greenie 1

• 1 month later...

Is this map available, I can't find it ?

i can't go through all that list, it's mind boggling if you want to cruise throughout, and most stoppages start in a month, are they not going to do one ? Anyone know what's happening.?

Edited by Timx

6 hours ago, Timx said:

Is this map available, I can't find it ?

i can't go through all that list, it's mind boggling if you want to cruise throughout, and most stoppages start in a month, are they not going to do one ? Anyone know what's happening.?

There is a map of the winter stoppages on the winter stoppages page, which is linked to from the general stoppages page!  

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/planning-your-boat-trip/planned-winter-closures

4 hours ago, john6767 said:

There is a map of the winter stoppages on the winter stoppages page, which is linked to from the general stoppages page!  

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/planning-your-boat-trip/planned-winter-closures

Thanks for that, but the map keeps reloading every time I try to zoom in, might be my internet, but I wanted maps like they had last year, which was easy to access and work out. 

The link that John posted works for me.  Having not paid much attention I've now realised that from Great Haywood there won't be much cruising choice from January to March as there are closures in the Fradley and Stone directions.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

The link that John posted works for me.  Having not paid much attention I've now realised that from Great Haywood there won't be much cruising choice from January to March as there are closures in the Fradley and Stone directions.

Link works fine for me on my laptop, and hopefully will be kept up to date