ebay win

arlow11

Featured Posts

i have just won this boat on ebay,     https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Springer-narrowboat-26ft-/273387230756?ul_noapp=true&nma=true&si=4ZF0op1V62mIrazdbQmU05863C8%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

im concerned that i may get ripped off, i have been and left a deposit,and from the outside the hull ect looks solid,theres a few holes on the back deck but heres the story,it was some guy who was doing it up gave up,sold it to the ebayers dad where its stood for 10 years, he bought it off his dad and has spent 6 months working on it, but he know nothing about boats not even what everything called,but if its stolen surley you would steal a nicer boat,but my main issue is he has an old survey from when his dad acquired it ,its clearly says its a cruiser stern,and it looks semi trad to me,any thoughts

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1601.jpg

s-l1602.jpg

s-l1604.jpg

s-l1603.jpg

Its a cruiser stern.

The old Survey is pretty much irrelevant (especially if it has been in the water), and being 25 years old, and a Springer, you may find that any insurance company will require a full survey before offering to insure it.

You can get 3rd party insurance without a survey - your choice.

Assuming a solid hull and stripping out the 'modern arty' stuff you look to have a reasonable foundation to build a boat.

1 hour ago, arlow11 said:

im concerned that i may get ripped off,

I'm puzzled how you think this could happen. If anyone is ripping anyone off, it is you ripping off yourself by bidding on it surely?

£7,600 seems reasonable for a stripped out ancient Springer, but hardly a bargain. The only valid complaint you could have is if the description in the listing is false or misleading in some way. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Missing worm

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Is that another way of saying "i was really drunk at the time"?

And while looking at the advert i hiccuped and a piece of meat fell out of my Kebab and landed on the Buy it now button.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

And while looking at the advert i hiccuped and a piece of meat fell out of my Kebab and landed on the Buy it now button.

And then ANOTHER piece of meat fell out and landed on the “Confirm your Purchase” button that comes up next!!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And then ANOTHER piece of meat fell out and landed on the “Confirm your Purchase” button that comes up next!!

No, that got pressed when the chilli sauce was wiped off.

It raises an interesting point though. Should Mr smelly be right and the OP regrets his decision to buy and seeks to cancel the purchase, I don’t think there is anything the seller can do to force a sale. The OP will lose their eBay ‘reputation’ by failing to complete the deal but that is better than ‘losing’ £7.6k and gaining a white elephant of a boat. 

Are eBay auctions enforceable in law, should the seller be so minded?

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It raises an interesting point though. Should Mr smelly be right and the OP regrets his decision to buy and seeks to cancel the purchase, I don’t think there is anything the seller can do to force a sale. The OP will lose their eBay ‘reputation’ by failing to complete the deal but that is better than ‘losing’ £7.6k and gaining a white elephant of a boat. 

Are eBay auctions enforceable in law, should the seller be so minded?

Suspect the seller would offer it to next highest bidder instead.

ETA. It wasn't that long ago the guy who bought a fairground carousel in error for 180K

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-43318976

Edited by rusty69

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Suspect the seller would offer it to next highest bidder instead.

True, but the under bidders are under no obligation to buy. My point was the winner of a real life auction can be legally compelled to complete the deal. Does this apply to eBay too?

Is the OP skewered??

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Does this apply to eBay too?

Is the OP skewered??

I Don-er know. Suspect they would be liable for fees at the very least (and a new  k̶e̶y̶b̶a̶b̶ keyboard)

Edited by rusty69

In my view, for what it's worth, is that the op has won a bid to buy a boat for £7+ grand. The survey from 2007 seemed to show that the hull was very reasonable, if not good, condition. I reckon it's possibly one of the good ones. (I have in my mind there are good and bad Springers). Even if the boat has been in the water in the meantime the hull could still be reasonable. 

Get a hull survey, check out the engine, get a BSC. It floats. It moves. It's safe. 

Theres a little more than finishing off to be done. The OP may be a whizz at 'finishing' things off and gets a serviceable boat for approximately £8000 or so. 

I'd get rid of the fancy paint job on the hatch! 

Just my thoughts.

• Happy 1

Right, a brief goggle suggests an eBay purchase is not a legally enforceable contract so the OP can probably safely tell the seller to spin on it.

I doubt he will get his deposit back though, or would be taking the pish to request it! 

12 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Buying a boat takes some thought, you Mutton rush into it.

Is that your TUPpence worth, or are you trying to Ram the idea into the OP, are EWE always like this ???

WETHER you are correct or not we will have to wait and see, there is no pulling the WOOL over your eyes is there ?

Image result for shaun the sheep

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is that your TUPpence worth, or are you trying to Ram the idea into the OP, are EWE always like this ???

WETHER you are correct or not we will have to wait and see, there is no pulling the WOOL over your eyes is there ?

Image result for shaun the sheep

I feel i have been LAMBasted.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Sheeesh. Kebabs eh. Bloomin dangerous!

2 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

No, that got pressed when the chilli sauce was wiped off.

Ugh - Boys is gross!  :rolleyes:

27 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

I feel i have been LAMBasted.

Which is better than being fleeced:P

• Haha 3