12 Volt TV

Old Son

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Care to expand on that? 

Poxy signal ?

6 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Well I've never bought three camels (not yet anyway) so I guess it must.

A (or eh?)

Updated now ?

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

My 26 inch mains tv draws 2.7 amps including the inverter load and extra speakers run from the usb thingy. Why buy 12 volt kit anymore? I do appreciate Fred and Wilma may not have a decent inverter but most people do have. Vastly better choice of kit to buy innitt.

The reason I would prefer 12V is that my TV is at the front of the boat and my power supply is at the rear. I would have to run new power cable to the TV. In addition I have a Sterling Inverter and I know what you think of them!! Likely to break if used too much. Seems cheaper to stay with 12V

Thanks to everybody who responded, I'll take a look at your suggestions. I have checked the DVD player now I am home and it works fine. Bloody Cello!!!

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Sterling do a 160w inverter for about 40 quid. We chuck ours in the cigar lighter socket  ( yes its an old boat ) in the music/living/ dining/ kitchen/ bedroom place. It charges 2 lapdogs  and the radio and im sure would run one of those televisual devices if we got one fitted.

That would still leave me with issues because there is nowhere to connect anything up other than at the wrong end of the boat.

I have a 24V to 12V converter at the stern of the boat and a lead from there behind the panelling to the TV position. All of my entertainment stuff is generally 12V and is all controlled from the same switch panel.

On 12/08/2018 at 07:41, Jennifer McM said:

I've just bought one of these Findus 12v TVs. They've certainly come a long way. In my day they used to make crispy pancakes. 

Anyway, I tested the TV on 12v and it looks good, but i just wanted to know whether it's voltage protected or do I need to add something to protect it from the variations in DC voltages, likely to be in the range of 11.8v - 14.8v?

6 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Ok thanks. I run my 12v car stereo straight from the boat's 12v system. You don't think this would be the same? 

It may be ok , but for the sake of 13 quid, why risk it. Increased voltage through charging/equalising may reduce capacitor life ( a common failure on these tv's). Our cello has been good for 3 years so far with power supply.

Are you sure it didn't come with a regulated psu, the ad says it does

Edited by rusty69

15 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Ok thanks. I run my 12v car stereo straight from the boat's 12v system. You don't think this would be the same? 

I'd guess that "12v" car radios are designed with built in regulation to run off a variable supply, given that the alternator will be producing up to 14.5 or even 15 volts.

Te  bumph says its supplied with a 12V & 24V regulated power supply so it should be perfectly happy without an extra stabilisation BUT if you get to 15V= then it might switch to assuming its on a 24 volt supply but probably wont. If it does then I can't see it ding any harm apart from no/carp reception.

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I've just bought one of these Findus 12v TVs. They've certainly come a long way. In my day they used to make crispy pancakes. 

Anyway, I tested the TV on 12v and it looks good, but i just wanted to know whether it's voltage protected or do I need to add something to protect it from the variations in DC voltages, likely to be in the range of 11.8v - 14.8v?

We just plug ours into a 12v socket ?‍♀️

6 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

We just plug ours into a 12v socket ?‍♀️

So do we but on the odd occasion that the TV is on with the engine running the picture can go to a blank screen. Changing to AC and its power pack sorts it out.  I often think of getting a stabiliser for it but it is rarely an issue.

Edited by philjw
spelling

2 minutes ago, philjw said:

So do we but on the odd occasion that the TV is on with the engine running the picture can go to a blank screen. Changing to AC and its power pack sorts it out.  I often think of getting a stabiliser for it but it is rarely an issue.

That's something to think about, now that nights are starting to draw in ☹️ - no doubt we'll have to run the engine in the evenings sooner than we'd like.

7 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

That's something to think about, now that nights are starting to draw in ☹️ - no doubt we'll have to run the engine in the evenings sooner than we'd like.

E-bay is your friend......well, he's my friend.I can introduce you if you like!

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Are you sure it didn't come with a regulated psu, the ad says it does

No I wasn't sure at all. That's why I was asking. But if it has a regulated supply that's great, so thanks. I'd have thought any 12v appliance designed for use in vehicles would have a regulated psu? Seems like a bit of an oversight not to have it? 

My voltage never goes above 14. 8v so it should be fine. 

Edited by blackrose

On 12/08/2018 at 12:22, mrsmelly said:

My 26 inch mains tv draws 2.7 amps including the inverter load and extra speakers run from the usb thingy. Why buy 12 volt kit anymore? I do appreciate Fred and Wilma may not have a decent inverter but most people do have. Vastly better choice of kit to buy innitt.

My inverter draws 0.9 amps by itself and my 29" TV draws about 5 amps when run from the inverter from memory. That's 6 amps in total, so it makes sense to have a smaller 12v TV that draws 1.8 amps (or less than a third of the mains TV + inverter) which I can use when away from shore power. 

A decent inverter isn't "a vastly better choice of kit" than a cheap 12v TV. It's a  different and vastly more expensive piece of kit, but they're not mutually exclusive so it's possible to have both. 

Edited by blackrose

7 hours ago, blackrose said:

My inverter draws 0.9 amps by itself and my 29" TV draws about 5 amps when run from the inverter from memory. That's 6 amps in total, so it makes sense to have a smaller 12v TV that draws 1.8 amps (or less than a third of the mains TV + inverter) which I can use when away from shore power. 

A decent inverter isn't "a vastly better choice of kit" than a cheap 12v TV. It's a  different and vastly more expensive piece of kit, but they're not mutually exclusive so it's possible to have both. 

Blimey 5 amps! That's a hell of a draw for a small telly. Is it an old one? The 32 inch we had on the last boat took just over 3 amps. Just goes to show that similar items can use vastly different lectric.