Clicking from ignition panel / trickle charger

Featured Posts

Hi guys,

We have a ticking noise coming from our electrical area containing fuse panel, trickle charger and ignition panel. Any ideas what this could be? Doesn't always tick, tends to over night. About a tick every 30seconds or so....

1 minute ago, curlass24 said:

Hi guys,

We have a ticking noise coming from our electrical area containing fuse panel, trickle charger and ignition panel. Any ideas what this could be? Doesn't always tick, tends to over night. About a tick every 30seconds or so....

Are you sure it doesn't tick during the day?  You can always hear things like that better at night.

I'd suspect the trickle charger "checks" to see if it needs to do any work.

57 minutes ago, curlass24 said:

Hi guys,

What sort of boat (?) are we talking here?

11 hours ago, curlass24 said:

Hi guys,

Your ignition isn’t on is it? Causing the hour counter to count?

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

Your ignition isn’t on is it? Causing the hour counter to count?

Good thought as long as its a mechanical one. Could also be incorrectly wired so t counts all the time whatever position the ignition switch is in.

12 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Are you sure it doesn't tick during the day?  You can always hear things like that better at night.

I'd suspect the trickle charger "checks" to see if it needs to do any work.

Easy to check. Disconnect the shoreline and see  if the clicking stops - that is unless its wired so the inverter can feed it.

23 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Easy to check. Disconnect the shoreline and see  if the clicking stops - that is unless its wired so the inverter can feed it.

How can a battery charger be fed by an inverter from the same set of batteries? Well I suppose it could be wired like that but it won't work will it? Unless boaters have somehow circumvented the laws of physics and solved the conundrum of perpetual energy. 

Edited by blackrose
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, blackrose said:

How can a battery charger be fed by an inverter from the same set of batteries? Well I suppose it could be wired like that but it won't work will it? Unless boaters have somehow circumvented the laws of physics and solved the conundrum of perpetual energy. 

It will “work” but the batteries will be discharging 

35 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Very easily, but its silly and wrong but how often have boaters and sometimes so called professionals done stupid things.

I also wonder if the instrument panel contains an electric clock, some of those tick.

My external alternator voltage regulator clicks when the engine is running. I called Sterling about it years ago and they took it back, checked it and returned it to me. It still clicks but it works fine (assuming you accept these things work in the first place) upping the voltage from 14.4v to 14.8v.

Edited by blackrose

11 hours ago, blackrose said:

The first law of thermodynamics broadly supports perpetual energy.