Research into boating alone

JohnCox

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Robbo said:

I also find using stern/bow ropes when pulling the boat out of the lock leaving the stern at the mouth of the lock (mainly using stern rope here).   It saves mooring up to close the gates.

Thats a good point. Never thought of that, thanks! 

I think a good skill is learning to use ropes to control the boat, both using the engine from the boat and remotely when you need to control the boat from the shore.

another skill would be to learn to throw a rope around a bollard from afar, still need to learn that ?

Edited by Robbo

A lot will depend on your level of fitness, size and type of boat, its location and your technique.

The weather also plays a significant role (avoid windy days), and the flow on any rivers can be a challenge. 

Think about the correct kit, shoes, lifejacket (with whistle) , mobile phone in a waterproof case, possibly vhf etc

It is certainly  achievable single handed. 

Good luck! 

8 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Such as strapping techniques?

Yep, are those in the recommended book?  I’ve not read it.  Anyone know a good source?

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Think about the correct kit, shoes, lifejacket (with whistle) , mobile phone in a waterproof case, possibly vhf etc

You missed out flask of a hot beverage.

I would recommend taking out an experienced single-handed boater on your boat while you attempt locks single handed both up and downhill. Their role should be just to be there for guidance and they should avoid hands-on helping if possible.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

Have a look on youtube, Cruising the Cut is good viewing, he sold up everything and cruises solo. In his early vlogs he was pretty green & shares his learning curve. Also remember you're in charge & if it's a gusty day you can simply stay put until the wind eases.

4 hours ago, Clodi said:

Have a look on youtube, Cruising the Cut is good viewing, he sold up everything and cruises solo. In his early vlogs he was pretty green & shares his learning curve. Also remember you're in charge & if it's a gusty day you can simply stay put until the wind eases.

Gusty days are not that much of a problem coz the wind drops intermittently. The condition that gives me a problem is a continuous and steady offshore wind. 

Pulling the boat in on a centre line with the wind opposing you can be seriously difficult if not impossible when there is a stiff breeze offshore that never drops. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Add a bit.
  • Greenie 1

On 11/08/2018 at 18:07, Neil2 said:

Actually we've met quite a few widowers who had no previous experience before setting off solo, but it does make sense to try before you buy ie hire a boat first.  It may seem very expensive as a single person but it could save you from making a much more expensive mistake.  Getting the hang of locks is the key to it, but you will find that if you admit you are a novice you will get lots of help and advice.  

I think single boaters have problems hiring boats these days. But a 2 day course with someone like willow wren would be very worthwhile IMO.

When single handing I use a short length of rope with a spliced loop at one end and a nappy pin at the other. Put the loop over a stern dolly and drop the nappy pin behind armco. Stops the boat escaping whilst sorting things out to moor. It can also double up as a spring if needs be.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 3

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Pulling the boat in on a centre line with the wind opposing you can be seriously difficult if not impossible when there is a stiff breeze offshore that never drops. 

I expect you already know this Mike, but for those unfamiliar: when it's tough to pull the boat towards you, take a turn around a fixed object (a bollard would be awesome) and pull on the rope between the boat and the bollard, taking up the slack between pulls, thus effectively ratcheting the boat towards you.  The mechanical advantage really helps.  Of course, sometimes there's nothing to take a turn on, but it's another tool in your box.

Sometimes, however, mother nature is going to be difficult to overcome, particularly the wind in a Narrowboat. Always think what she's going to do with your boat before attempting anything, and see if you can come up with a plan to work with her rather than against her. 

19 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I expect you already know this Mike, but for those unfamiliar: when it's tough to pull the boat towards you, take a turn around a fixed object (a bollard would be awesome) and pull on the rope between the boat and the bollard, taking up the slack between pulls, thus effectively ratcheting the boat towards you.  The mechanical advantage really helps.  Of course, sometimes there's nothing to take a turn on, but it's another tool in your box.

Sometimes, however, mother nature is going to be difficult to overcome, particularly the wind in a Narrowboat. Always think what she's going to do with your boat before attempting anything, and see if you can come up with a plan to work with her rather than against her. 

Of course there is never a handy bollard or ring when you are side on to a hurricane.  But what you can do is wrap the centre line around your backside and lean on it, like being the anchor in a tug of war, or like you would push on a balance beam.  Of course the heavier you are the more effective it is but I'm barely nine and a half stone and I've never had any trouble holding a narrowboat in a strong wind.  Apologies to those who think I'm stating the bleedin' obvious but I rarely see people using this technique.  

1 minute ago, Neil2 said:

Of course there is never a handy bollard or ring when you are side on to a hurricane.  But what you can do is wrap the centre line around your backside and lean on it, like being the anchor in a tug of war, or like you would push on a balance beam.  Of course the heavier you are the more effective it is but I'm barely nine and a half stone and I've never had any trouble holding a narrowboat in a strong wind.  Apologies to those who think I'm stating the bleedin' obvious but I rarely see people using this technique.  

Quite. If there is a bollard or anchor point for the centre line then the wind is no problem. Tie to the bollard then motoring forwards (or backwards) will pull the boat in. 

Never thought of wrapping the line around myself though. I wouldn’t have thought that would help much but I’ll try it as you say otherwise. Thanks! 

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Quite. If there is a bollard or anchor point for the centre line then the wind is no problem. Tie to the bollard then motoring forwards (or backwards) will pull the boat in. !

Never thought of wrapping the line around myself though. I wouldn’t have thought that would help much but I’ll try it as you say otherwise. Thanks! 

it will also give you somthing to hang onto when the boat pulls you into the canal

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 3

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Quite. If there is a bollard or anchor point for the centre line then the wind is no problem. Tie to the bollard then motoring forwards (or backwards) will pull the boat in. 

Before any clever dick comes along and suggests this might end up with you being pulled into the cut, when I say wrap the line around yourself I don't mean several turns just take the rope around your back and lean into it - you can still let it go safely but it means you can put all your weight on the rope rather than just relying on your arm/leg strength.  As I say, it's a bit like pushing a lock gate with your backside (which most people instinctively learn to do) as opposed to just hauling on it with your arms, if that makes sense.

14 hours ago, Ray T said:

When single handing I use a short length of rope with a spliced loop at one end and a nappy pin at the other. Put the loop over a stern dolly and drop the nappy pin behind armco. Stops the boat escaping whilst sorting things out to moor. It can also double up as a spring if needs be.

As above, except I use a nappy pin on a short length of rope attached to the centre rope attachement point on the roof. Get off the boat with the centre rope in hand

Pull the boat in. Grab the nappy pin on its short rope and hook it to the armco. Moor up properly with bow and stern rope and then stow the temporary nappy pin and centre rope.  Only works when there is armco for obvious reasons but saves having to dash backwards and forwards when trying to moor when the wind is against you.

Can't pretend it was my idea as I shamelessly copied it off someone else.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Apologies to those who think I'm stating the bleedin' obvious but I rarely see people using this technique.  

It's only obvious to those who find these things obvious or have seen it previously and remembered, so we'll worth saying for t'others, of which there are many.

I do often see folks straining for dear life to hold a boat when a quick turn around something would allow them to hold that same boat with virtually no effort. Quite often they're pulling for all they're worth long after they could have stowed the rope and walked off! :D

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

It's only obvious to those who find these things obvious or have seen it previously and remembered, so we'll worth saying for t'others, of which there are many.

I do often see folks straining for dear life to hold a boat when a quick turn around something would allow them to hold that same boat with virtually no effort. Quite often they're pulling for all they're worth long after they could have stowed the rope and walked off! :D

They normally have their foot on a bollard to steady themselves

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Johny London said:

Yes - it can be quite tiring on your own. I find about 4 locks is ideal, maybe 5 or 6. Though I have done 10+ in a single cruise, but it's nicer to just do what you enjoy and then stop. Weather has an exaggerated effect when you are on your own too.

4 locks? You're kidding.  Thats taken care of one hour, what do you do with the remaining hours of the day?