Sealing Wooden Ply Cabin Roof

gregich

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Sabine said:

What method/adhesive did you use to lay the new ply? Did you use screws or staples to attach it during the cure time?

I think I used galvanised nails.  However, since these were entirely encased with the resin they were not likely to disintegrate.  

5 hours ago, Sabine said:

Thanks Koukouvagia, that's food for thought. Happily, after we exposed more of the roof ply yesterday, the surface looks good enough to re-skin. 

What method/adhesive did you use to lay the new ply? Did you use screws or staples to attach it during the cure time?

Thanks for this advice Mike. Do you happen to know whether the cascover glue is compatible with other adhesives? It's penetrated well into the substrate, and I don't think practically I'll be able to sand it back to new wood.

I  used West system epoxy with an ebedded glass fibre roving over cascover deck sheathing on a plywood deck some 15 years ago and it's still watertight and painted with 2 pack epoxy paint, the boat cruised all over Europe for ten years and is still as good as when we did it. I would avoid anything with a solvent in it. What were yoy thinking of using?

12 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

I  used West system epoxy with an ebedded glass fibre roving over cascover deck sheathing on a plywood deck some 15 years ago and it's still watertight and painted with 2 pack epoxy paint, the boat cruised all over Europe for ten years and is still as good as when we did it. I would avoid anything with a solvent in it. What were yoy thinking of using?

Great. I wanted to do exactly the same as you, so that's reassuring. Thanks!