triangular bucket

dreadnought

Featured Posts

hi all,i`m looking for some kind of plastic bucket come container that will fit under the stern tube in that little triangular section,that way i can keep the bilge pump in there and everything will be a bit neater,i was wondering if anyone has something that they have used and proved ideal,many thanks in advance

Another vote for an ice cream tub. Haven't got a bilge pump in it. I empty it at the end of each days cruising and it is very rarely more than 50 - 75% full. This way I don't actually get any water laying in the engine bilge, although I do check the engine bilge pump regularly. 

I think my purpose made oblong stern tube save-all originally came from a supermarket with mushrooms in it.  It sits there perfectly dry as I have a Volvo stern seal, but it is only there to detect any drips so that if there's water in the bilge I can tell where did or where it didn't come from. 

I'd be agreeing with whoever said just empty the pot every day rather than go sticking the bilge pump in it.  I'd say that  a bilge pump floating around in a dry box isn't gonna help much with a flooding bilge.

43 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I think my purpose made oblong stern tube save-all originally came from a supermarket with mushrooms in it.  It sits there perfectly dry as I have a Volvo stern seal, but it is only there to detect any drips so that if there's water in the bilge I can tell where did or where it didn't come from. 

I'd be agreeing with whoever said just empty the pot every day rather than go sticking the bilge pump in it.  I'd say that  a bilge pump floating around in a dry box isn't gonna help much with a flooding bilge.

This is exactly what I do with my Vetus stern gland.

If I find water in my adapted ice cream container I know it must have come from the Vetus gland (none ever has so far), and my bilge pump is outside of this container, to deal with reallyrics signifcant leaks.

I used a washing up bowl. Remember to add a lot a weight so it cannot float up carrying the bilge pump with it, in the event of a flood, I had some off-cuts of 12 mm steel which ensure it stays where it is until any flooding water goes over the top. Alternatively you need two auto pumps.

Edited by Detling
felt like it