Winding 60ft near Long Itchington?

IanM

Featured Posts

We're taking a few friends out from Braunston tomorrow morning, staying out Saturday night and wanting to be back in Braunston by about 2pm on Sunday.

Our normal 'night out' trip would be to the Folly at Napton but we've done that no end of times before and I'm trying to think of something more interesting.

Therefore is there anywhere to wind a 60ft boat around Long Itchington (preferably Warwick direction) or is it a case of motoring all the way to Radford Semele before the first winding hole is found?

We would like to moor fairly near to a pub on Saturday night without having to walk a mile down the towpath to reach one.

You would be able to turn in the Kayes arm between the blue lias and Warwickshire fly, a little short of long itchington but fairly central to access pubs in both directions. 

Edited by BWM

Don't even go down Stockton flight,  you can turn a 70 footer in the old concrete works arm ( you could even before Willow Wren dug it out) or at the Kate boats yard.

The Boat pub is a fine hostelry and there are lots of moorings there.

As Matty said, wind at the willow wren training base and reverse down a bit an go to the Boat Inn. If you want to eat, book a table. It can be busy for food on a saturday. Pub and food both good. Only 6 locks there and back.

You can wind just beyond the Blue Lias but then you have to park there and go there. I am not impressed by the food there. Of course you will have to do the Stockton flight .....about 5 hrs from Braunston to the Blue Lias.

Best pub is the 2 boats at Long Ichington but that is two locks further......and some of the books show a winding hole there. I have never tried it but it just about looks do-able. Anyone tried winding there? Be interested to know.

4 hours ago, matty40s said:

Don't even go down Stockton flight,  you can turn a 70 footer in the old concrete works arm ( you could even before Willow Wren dug it out) or at the Kate boats yard.

We had a drink at the Boat at the top of Stockton on Wednesday night, f you want to eat there I suggest booking as they were turning people away on a Wednesday night.  You can turn 50ft above Stockton top lock, and longer boats below the top lock.  Or of course at Stockton top marina or Willow Wren.

If you want  to go down Stockton, then it is wide above Bascote, but I don’t know what the limit of what you can turn there is.  As mentioned there is the wide section opposite the Two Boats, but again I don’t know what the limit would be.

16 hours ago, matty40s said:

Be prepared to be shouted at if you you wind at Kate Boats! Nicholson were asked to remove the winding hole some years ago as the marina there maintain that it is not an official turning point.

22 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Be prepared to be shouted at if you you wind at Kate Boats! Nicholson were asked to remove the winding hole some years ago as the marina there maintain that it is not an official turning point.

Agreed. Often there are too many parked boats there to turn. Much easier to wind at willow wren before the pub.

29 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Agreed. Often there are too many parked boats there to turn. Much easier to wind at willow wren before the pub.

2nd, or 3rd, that. Often blocked with their own boats and they are not to keen on others using it for winding so best not to plan to use it. 

2 hours ago, Up-Side-Down said:

It appears to be very shallow on the Cuttle Inn side. Watched a hire boat get stuck there whilst attempting to manoeuvre a couple of weeks ago.

I've no doubt there are shallow areas but there were boats moored there no less than four years ago, so I'd imagine that it may still be possible to turn?

Edited by BWM

On 10/08/2018 at 21:00, john6767 said:

If you want  to go down Stockton, then it is wide above Bascote, but I don’t know what the limit of what you can turn there is.  As mentioned there is the wide section opposite the Two Boats, but again I don’t know what the limit would be.

You can wind a 60ft boat below bascote staircase. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

You can wind 70 below bascote but not 71’6 how do i know this....

Roland, is it deep enough, it looks very shallow on the off side. Good info though. Thanks also to Peter.

4 hours ago, IanM said:

Thanks everyone. In the end we wimped out and went to the Folly. However I will try winding below Bascote one day when we’re not so up against it time wise.

You really should try the Boat Inn, so easy to turn at Willow Wren and loads of places to moor....unlike the Folly! The food is very good....but the pies are better at the Folly!