Generator with Sterling Procombi

tommytelford

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, tommytelford said:

Has anyone used a generator in conjunction with a Sterling 2.5 ProCombi s and if so what size genny do you use. The battery charge rate is 50 amp

In theory a 700w (continuous rated) generator would be sufficient.

However - the battery charger is not 100% efficient and some have a Pf as low as 60%, (0.6) with 'most' having around a Pf of 80% (0.8), very high quality ones (with electronic support) may have a Pf of 100% (1) but Sterling is not up there.

Nest question - do you want the generator 'screaming its head off' for 6 or 8 hours ?

It would be better to have it running at 50-70% capacity and 'burbling' along sipping petrol slowly.

I would suggest that a 2Kw generator would be sufficient (but check the continuous operating - and - not the Peak operating)

My Kipor IG 2Kw (1600w continuous runs my Victron 50a charger happily)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Thanks it is only for and emergency complete loss of power while we are cruising. I have a basic 850w generator with 1000w maximum. Thinking about it it would probably be just as easy to use  my 10amp charger connected to the starter battery to get enough power  to start the engine and then charge the other batteries the alternator

18 minutes ago, tommytelford said:

Thanks it is only for and emergency complete loss of power while we are cruising. I have a basic 850w generator with 1000w maximum. Thinking about it it would probably be just as easy to use  my 10amp charger connected to the starter battery to get enough power  to start the engine and then charge the other batteries the alternator

Why would your starter battery need charging if you had flattened your domestics?  It shouldn't be on the same circuit.

If your starter battery is regularly too flat to start the engine, replace it!

23 minutes ago, tommytelford said:

my 10amp charger connected to the starter battery to get enough power  to start the engine

NO NO NO NO

You'll be sat waiting 'hours and hours', and burning loadsa petrol.

If your leisure batteries are 'charged' and your starter is 'flat' simply take a Jump-Lead from the Leisure bank + terminal, put onto the Starter battery + terminal and start the engine, then let the alternator recharge both of them.

Edit to add :

See what happens when you 'assume' - you work on the obvious - the leisure batteries, are flat, but NO, the OP throws a curved ball & its the starter battery that's flat.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Just now, tommytelford said:

I can link via my changeover switch. I was thinking more of a catastrophic power failure. Unlikely I know but I have been boating too long to think that it can't happen ?

In which case - there has been a total electrical failure and both the leisure and starter batteries are dead.

You need a battery jump-starter - pull it out of the Lazarette and away you go.

I used to carry one of these (but decided the chance of total failure was remote enough to not bother)

529771211.jpg?v=2.1

5 hours ago, tommytelford said:

Has anyone used a generator in conjunction with a Sterling 2.5 ProCombi s and if so what size genny do you use. The battery charge rate is 50 amp

If it's a ProCombi S 2500W with 12V charging, it charges at 70A, (80A these days it seems), unless I'm missing something:

https://sterling-power.com/collections/inverters-and-combi-inverter-chargers/products/pro-combi-s-pure-sine-wave-inverter?variant=886991347

So... if you specify a generator just powerful enough for a 50A charger, it probably wont power the inverter charger.

Where are you getting the info that the battery charge rate is 50A (Link?)