Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
mark99

Young J Noakes Selling a Station

Featured Posts

Sticky backed plastic, numerous toilet rolls and you could have one.

17 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Sticky backed plastic, numerous toilet rolls and you could have one.

It would look nice and shiny. 

I know it's in Sheffield, but even so isn't that a lot of property for the money, apparently not in bad condition?

It's an auction guide price of course, so I suspect that it's been set well below what the owners expect to get for it, which I think is a common tactic to attract attention to an unusual lot.

3 minutes ago, Peter X said:

I know it's in Sheffield, but even so isn't that a lot of property for the money, apparently not in bad condition?

It's an auction guide price of course, so I suspect that it's been set well below what the owners expect to get for it, which I think is a common tactic to attract attention to an unusual lot.

Yes I thought that too. Then I noticed it was a guide price. And auctioneers set the guide price stupidly low to suck mug punters into the auction room. They usually start the auction with "And here we have a station/pub/country house guide price of £x. Now who will start off and bid me £x? And a forest of hands goes up.

2 hours ago, Peter X said:

It's a decent area, you're on the fringe of the Peak District with open countryside minutes away but just off the M1 as well.  My grandfather came from Chapeltown.

As for the presenter, surely that's (British Lions Rugby coach) Ian McGeechan's brother? 

Being from south London, I know nothing about the relative merits of different parts of Sheffield, I just had the impression that Sheffield as a whole is not a property hotspot. My grandfather came from Bermondsey.

Not being a follower of rugby, I'd never heard of Ian McGeechan. But having looked him up, yes I think you're onto something there, he's a better fit than John Noakes.

In a way, it's like those lock houses which are still standing but whose canal has vanished - interesting in their own right but somehow pointless. But, platform or not, its gratifying to see that the buildings have survived in what appears to be quite good condition. It was closed as long ago as 1953, years before the growth of the British enthusiasm for preserving railwayana, so its survival is all the more remarkable.

Edited by Athy