Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
alan_fincher

Meeting Forum Members

Featured Posts

There are some regular forum members that I seem to meet on the cut all the time.

Others remain strangely illusive, even though I know their boats are regularly where we are.

No better example than Nightwatch, whose boat we have seen many times, but have never managed more than a distant wave through a window or awning.

So finally today we met properly, (at Hillmorton as it happens).

OK, who's next?

Well we seem to have communicated over a canal or engine noises for quite some time Alan.......which as both of us are deaf as posts is quite a challenge.

A good nod suffices, but meeting someone for real is better. Hope the next few weeks go as planned Alan.

Was tempted to walk to the Dog and Pheasant earlier. Fortunate that we didn't. Rained a bit. Hailed a bit and thundered a bit. Oh! And a bit of lightening.

I met a, forum member once. Him in his cat, me in a kayak, nowhere near canal or river.  

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I met a, forum member once. Him in his cat, me in a kayak, nowhere near canal or river.  

Strange that, I met a forum member once, me in my cat, him in a rubber suit, nowhere near a canal or river.

The only time I met the OP was on a tight bend near Sutton Stop, and we both had to take severe avoiding action. I wonder if he remembers?

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Perhaps it would be good if we could produce something members can print (optionally ofc), cut and then display in their window? Maybe using a licence holder easily purchasable from many chandlers. Looks like similar ideas have surfaced before. Maybe this could help Alan in his quest to meet other forum members but joking aside, might be worthwhile?

Something like the following: (at least conceptually)

windowimage.png

Must stress this is just a 5 minute mock up/draft to give an idea. :) Something like this would need Daniel's approval but it would be good to see if there's any interest. 

RichM 

Edited by RichM

6 minutes ago, RichM said:

Yes quite possibly but rather than being limited to posting whereabouts online, perhaps it would also be good if we could produce something members can print (optionally ofc), cut and then display in their window? Perhaps using a licence holder easily purchasable from many chandlers. Pretty sure similar things have been done before though(?). I imagine it could provide an opportunity to meet other members while also providing exposure for the benefit of the site a whole. 

Something like the following: (at least conceptually)

windowimage.png

This is just a 5 minute mock up/draft to give an idea. Something like this would need Daniel's approval but it would be good to see if there's any interest. 

RichM 

I think you have missed a letter R out.

Was that so as it would fit into the 'square'.

Many moons ago Members 'stickers' used to be available, they ran out, members placed additional orders were but they were never reprinted

If we all installed an AIS transponder and receiver on board then we could see when a forumite was approaching and even better, we wouldn't be able to see Rusty in his rubber suit.😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

The only time I met the OP was on a tight bend near Sutton Stop, and we both had to take severe avoiding action. I wonder if he remembers?

If he does, he will probably blame you for being in the middle of the canal! 😄😄😄

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

There are some regular forum members that I seem to meet on the cut all the time.

Others remain strangely illusive, even though I know their boats are regularly where we are.

No better example than Nightwatch, whose boat we have seen many times, but have never managed more than a distant wave through a window or awning.

So finally today we met properly, (at Hillmorton as it happens).

OK, who's next?

I've met this bloke who claims to be you LOADS of times.... but I'm not convinced :giggles:

Haven't met anybody yet - but then again I supose I am a bit out of the way for most.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

If we all installed an AIS transponder and receiver on board then we could see when a forumite was approaching and even better, we wouldn't be able to see Rusty in his rubber suit.😀

Don't you mean her?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

Well we seem to have communicated over a canal or engine noises for quite some time Alan.......which as both of us are deaf as posts is quite a challenge.

What?

11 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

A good nod suffices, but meeting someone for real is better. Hope the next few weeks go as planned Alan.

Was tempted to walk to the Dog and Pheasant earlier. Fortunate that we didn't. Rained a bit. Hailed a bit and thundered a bit. Oh! And a bit of lightening.

Yep, it did rain abit, didn't it?  Enough to prove that the mushroom vents don't have an adequate upstand on them!

9 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

If he does, he will probably blame you for being in the middle of the canal! 😄😄😄

Oh, the old ones are the best, aren't they David!

I'm always amazed about how many boater have never heard of this place. (In a way quite envious as they don't dwindle their time away like us).

Edited by mark99

3 minutes ago, mark99 said:

I'm always amazed about how many boater have never heard of this place. (In a way quite envious as they don't dwindle their time away like us).

You too could be like them

(70s kids only) 

10 hours ago, RichM said:

Perhaps it would be good if we could produce something members can print (optionally ofc), cut and then display in their window? 

I sometimes wear this when I go to shows like Braunston.  I've met quite a few members that way.

P1080981.JPG

8 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

Don't you mean her?

Oops, apologies. Of course you are right. 😁

10 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

8 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

Don't you mean her?

Image result for miss whiplash

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Image result for miss whiplash

That's not Rusty. He's she's not that tall.

• Haha 1