Easy, safe moorings in Birmingham city centre.

Montgomery

Featured Posts

Good evening, hoping to be passing through the centre of Birmingham in the coming weeks, I understand that quite a few of the moorings in Birmingham are reserved for trip boats and water taxi's? Where are the best (safest, easy to get into the city) 24hr visitor moorings? I'm thinking the oozell Street loop? Any good? 

Thanks in advance. 

There are private moorings on one side of the loop and spaces for 3 to 4 boats on the other.

But mooring after Broad St bridge near the ICC is fine. There are 2 spaces round the bend at the top of the Farmers locks before the services.

Never had any problem moored in Birmingham.

7 minutes ago, Montgomery said:

Sounds ideal. Thanks

This is the Oozells St Loop, which is the quietest spot if there is space.  Other than that either side of the Main Line part Old Turn is fine and this is whee the largest number of mooring is, left side would be my preferred particularly if there is something on at the Arena.  The place to avoid, purely because of the footfall and noise late at night is on the W&B side of Worcester Bar.

As well as all the above there's also Cambrian Wharf next to the Farmers Bridge top lock. 14 day moorings there and there's five or six visitor spaces. Aparently the pub can get a bit noisy but we've never had a problem there (or anywhere else in the city centre).

Oozels loop moorings are really good as there are security guards(because of the posh apartments/ & shops).We prefer to moor on the main line as we like to see what's happening.I'd stay away from Gas St itself at weekends as it can get noisy/have drunken revellers.Brum is a smashing place to moor-enjoy.?

54 minutes ago, WhiteSuit said:

Is there any good dog walking near the centre?

For a noticeably green city - 571 parks - there is little good dog walking near the city centre tow path.

You will always find a small spot for the dog but few nice walks.

There are also moorings between Sheepcote and St Vincents street bridges on both sides of the cut. If all else fails there are moorings west of St Vincents street bridge - ther are some rings and also an area which has grass and you moor on pins. There is also an unmarked winding hole in the entrance to an old transhipment basin.

We always like to do the tour of the loops when in Birmingham - they are fun to do. Its very satisfying going across the mainline  from the Icknield Port to Soho loops.

• Happy 1

59 minutes ago, Richard T said:

There are also moorings between Sheepcote and St Vincents street bridges on both sides of the cut. If all else fails there are moorings west of St Vincents street bridge - ther are some rings and also an area which has grass and you moor on pins. There is also an unmarked winding hole in the entrance to an old transhipment basin.

We always like to do the tour of the loops when in Birmingham - they are fun to do. Its very satisfying going across the mainline  from the Icknield Port to Soho loops.

Just be a bit wary....the trip boats don’t hang about on the mainline as you do the loops.....don’t ask me how I know this....

2 hours ago, Richard T said:

Not that many there though but they are 14 day ones.  The 2 day ones are between Old Turn and Sheepcote St, although there are a couple of 14 day there as well.  Past St Vincents St bridge I think there are now some rings on the right reflecting the fact there a often boats that arrive later in they day that end up mooring there.

On 09/08/2018 at 19:18, frangar said:

Stop giving away my secret mooring on oozells st loop away! I'm going to need that next week.....

I agree, Oozells St. Loop must be avoided at all costs. Total mayhem at night with nobody about except for fagging security guards.

:)

• Love 1

The Oozells Street Loop, is not perhaps the best place to moor. I have noticed needles on the path there, by Sheepcote Street Bridge and much is now private moorings beyond up to the junction with the main line on the approach to the other Sheepcote Street Bridge. I have also seen more boats are tying up for the night between Monument Lane Interchange Basin and St Vincent Street, on the railway side of the canal. The only problem there is the cyclists, some of them accelerate to top speed on this stretch.

11 minutes ago, Heartland said:

The Oozells Street Loop, is not perhaps the best place to moor. I have noticed needles on the path there, by Sheepcote Street Bridge and much is now private moorings beyond up to the junction with the main line on the approach to the other Sheepcote Street Bridge. I have also seen more boats are tying up for the night between Monument Lane Interchange Basin and St Vincent Street, on the railway side of the canal. The only problem there is the cyclists, some of them accelerate to top speed on this stretch.

The only stress I’ve had on the end by the sea life centre is the noise from the aircon plant...if I get in there in a few days I’ll have a look for any dodgy stuff. 

3 hours ago, frangar said:

The only stress I’ve had on the end by the sea life centre is the noise from the aircon plant...if I get in there in a few days I’ll have a look for any dodgy stuff.

Never noticed anything untoward at the sea life centre end of the loop where the visitor mooring are, I would have though the cctv would discourage that.  You only get the aircon noise if you on on the very end of the moorings, the other set of vents further down has nothing behind them I believe.

10 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Never noticed anything untoward at the sea life centre end of the loop where the visitor mooring are, I would have though the cctv would discourage that.  You only get the aircon noise if you on on the very end of the moorings, the other set of vents further down has nothing behind them I believe.

Indeed....I’m trying to tell people it’s a really noisy mooring!! ?

• Greenie 1