Overstaying

Gareth E

Featured Posts

Who are "most people" ? Some people want a cheaper lifestyle, what's wrong with that? As long as its within the rules why shouldn't they have it. 

Personally I have no problem, it's nowt to do with me if others want a different lifestyle. 

• Greenie 1

On 10/08/2018 at 00:38, nbfiresprite said:

This is the e-mail from Fenland Council , I had contacted them about the overstayer pointing out that he had been moving between the town and park moorings for over a year. But then he was hardly CC but CM instead. He has stayed within the town limits for over a year.

Overstaying boats are nuisance and have frustrated both residents, businesses and other water users in the past few years.  As you know, Fenland has put in place a scheme on our moorings limiting the time which a boat may moor within a town.  The signs were only put in place recently with the intention of having a period of grace to ensure that mooring users were well aware of the new initiative and could not suggest that the Council was trying to make money by fining people from day 1. That period is almost over and we will start to proactively monitor the moorings from 1 August.

With regards to the boat you mentioned, I will pass details to the Council Tax team when we commence moorings monitoring for their information, who will investigate the tax avoidance.

P Hughes | Fenland District Council Leisure Services

So you snitched on the overstayer.   I do hope he reads this forum and knows who to thank. 

28 minutes ago, Winn said:

So you snitched on the overstayer.   

Isn't that a little reminiscent of the playground.   Where do you draw the line between telling authorities of wrong doing?   Do you have a sliding scale?    Murder OK to inform mugging no don't snitch?

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Isn't that a little reminiscent of the playground.   Where do you draw the line between telling authorities of wrong doing?   Do you have a sliding scale?    Murder OK to inform mugging no don't snitch?

Would you prefer I use another word to "snitch"    I have plenty choice ones I could use but the rules for this particular playground prohibit those.  

2 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

Who are "most people" ? Some people want a cheaper lifestyle, what's wrong with that? As long as its within the rules why shouldn't they have it. 

Personally I have no problem, it's nowt to do with me if others want a different lifestyle. 

Many (most?) people seek to keep their overheads to a minimum which makes sense. The problem for many boaters, who are abiding by the rules and on a genuine journey, is when attempting to find an overnight visitor mooring. 

9 minutes ago, PhilR said:

Many (most?) people seek to keep their overheads to a minimum which makes sense. The problem for many boaters, who are abiding by the rules and on a genuine journey, is when attempting to find an overnight visitor mooring. 

Though Cart haven't kept up with tree growth!!! They are certainly much more on top of the visitor mooring sites of late. This years bimble round has so far found us pucker moorings at many sites that until recently would have been no hopers. All the k and a for instance and today in Oxford where we had a veritable choice at every designated mooring spot even for a near full length boat. ?

• Happy 1

48 minutes ago, Winn said:

So you snitched on the overstayer.   I do hope he reads this forum and knows who to thank. 

Glow up litte girl, There have been many complaints about this overstayer and other lowlife of this type. The rules are quite simple so that even someone like you should understand. If you wish to stay in th area get a mooring in the marina, don't sqatt on the visitors mooring. Last year most of visitor moorings were blocked by sqatting freeloading lowlife preventing overnight mooring for visiters, hence the new mooring rules.  

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, PhilR said:

Why does the boater on a journey need to find a visitor mooring to stop overnight??what's wrong with the towpath.

• Greenie 2

19 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Glow up litte girl, There have been many complaints about this overstayer and other lowlife of this type. The rules are quite simple so that even someone like you should understand. If you wish to stay in th area get a mooring in the marina, don't sqatt on the visitors mooring. Last year most of visitor moorings were blocked by sqatting freeloading lowlife preventing overnight mooring for visiters, hence the new mooring rules.  

I glow well enough thank you...and no longer a little girl. I am however quite capable of understanding the rules and just who merits the term "lowlife"   

Edited by Guest
the avoidance of doubt!

26 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

When there are no towpaths or on a river.

I regularly moor on the River Soar and don't need a visitor mooring.

You quoted my answer to Phil that suggested many boaters need to find a visitor mooring to stop on overnight.

13 hours ago, Jerra said:

Snitching is playground behaviour yes. It's not a criminal matter, as you suggest, but a civil one, with no victim. Apart from wearing down the poor little legs of someone who might have to walk another 50m. Bless. 

The authorities are perfectly capable of monitoring the situation themselves. Have you asked Danylo Kurpil for a job? You could have a uniform and a badge and everything. 

Snitching is playground behaviour yes. It's not a criminal matter, as you suggest, but a civil one, with no victim. Apart from wearing down the poor little legs of someone who might have to walk another 50m. Bless. 

The authorities are perfectly capable of monitoring the situation themselves. Have you asked Danylo Kurpil for a job? You could have a uniform and a badge and everything. 

The myth of the victimless crime is just that - a myth.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

The myth of the victimless crime is just that - a myth.

When a few ignore the rules Jim is right, there are no victims. His point of view is rather shortsighted though as a few being left alone to get away with it sucks in more doing the same, then all the good compliant boaters become victims. 

• Greenie 2

Sorry I was brought up with right is right and wrong is wrong.  Clearly some people weren't.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Sorry I was brought up with right is right and wrong is wrong.  Clearly some people weren't.

I’m not sure that making judgements based on heresay is right though (but clearly some people do).

Yes, there are piss takers, but there are also legitimate reasons for overstaying (breakdown, illness, emergencies). Some people also seem to expect to be able to moor up on a visitor mooring, and when they can’t, they throw their toys out of the pram and start blaming others 

As Matty pointed out, when the visitor moorings are full, there are usually other places to moor up so long as you can walk a few hundred yards. 

On 10/08/2018 at 00:38, nbfiresprite said:

This is the e-mail from Fenland Council , I had contacted them about the overstayer pointing out that he had been moving between the town and park moorings for over a year. But then he was hardly CC but CM instead. He has stayed within the town limits for over a year.

Overstaying boats are nuisance and have frustrated both residents, businesses and other water users in the past few years.  As you know, Fenland has put in place a scheme on our moorings limiting the time which a boat may moor within a town.  The signs were only put in place recently with the intention of having a period of grace to ensure that mooring users were well aware of the new initiative and could not suggest that the Council was trying to make money by fining people from day 1. That period is almost over and we will start to proactively monitor the moorings from 1 August.

With regards to the boat you mentioned, I will pass details to the Council Tax team when we commence moorings monitoring for their information, who will investigate the tax avoidance.

P Hughes | Fenland District Council Leisure Services

If it means that much to you, why not talk to the boater concerned? If they are a piss taker, they might take your cristisims on board. If not, you might gain an insight into their problems. 

16 minutes ago, rowland al said:

If it means that much to you, why not talk to the boater concerned? If they are a piss taker, they might take your cristisims on board. If not, you might gain an insight into their problems. 

So your position is....

People 'with problems' should be allowed to hog the best moorings while those of us (supposedly) without problems should walk further. Yes?

Been through is invalid loop of logic here before a few hundred times haven't we!

Do you also consider people 'with problems' should be excused buying a licence?

• Greenie 1

So how is this different from a free breakfast, limited to one per person, where someone takes 3 so 2 others go hungry?  It might seem there's plenty to go around, and it may not be a "crime", but if someone else is deprived its not really a victimless act, is it.

The equitable use of visitor moorings (or any other commodity) is not really much different - if there's a limit set to ensure fairness and someone exceeds it, someone else is probably deprived.