How to fit bulkheads

Featured Posts

Hi, I've searched long and hard for this and despite finding numerous topics on how to construct bulkheads I've not found anything about to how to fit them. I'm using 18mm exterior ply which has been sealed and fixing using a pocket hole jig to pre drill holes but do you fit them plumb or at a right angle to the floor?

My boats aft end drops about 35mm over 2m. Main concerns here are things like the shower tray, which must be level, ideally the bulkhead next to this would be plumb but there's a rectangular window right next to it which is obviously not plumb/level as it goes with fall of the boat. 

What about kitchen worktops? I first thought "obviously level" but then there would be a weird changing gap between gun whale and worktop. 

Bed? Level or parallel to the floor?

I imagine all the boaters laughing away here but having only ever built houses with plumb lines and levels playing big parts i'm sitting here scratching my head! 

You can use a right angle to get them straight with the floor.

Edit to add, looks like they called squares..   The following probably do tha job..

https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-framing-square-16-x-24-405-x-610mm/6641v

https://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-48-aluminium-folding-square/69436

https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-folding-square/3791v

Edited by Robbo

Build the bulkheads square to the floor and shelves, worktops etc parallel to it.  Looks much better than horizontal, which is never the same in relation to the floor.

Choose and site the shower tray so that the drain is in the low spot- ideally centre rear but nearly all boats have some list to one side or the other so one corner may be better.

Bed depends.  Trying to sleep with you fee above your head is difficult. Bed across the boat can be parallel to the floor.  Along the boat should be built so that at the worst trim (full water/ empty diesel or vice versa and don't forget the effect of any poo tank)  condition the foot end is level or a little below the head end.

A roofers square or a big triangle cut off the machined corner of an 8x4 sheet will be much more use than a plumbline and level.

N

Rare that a boat is trimmed level fore and aft so build square to the floor. 

When I used to fit out hire boats from new shells we used to sit them on timbers on the hard and get them level P & S with a maximum 3" fore to aft rake. Then we used spirit levels to fit out as it saved time measuring. No one ever notices the slope, but we set hob units level when the boat was afloat.

Finished my sailaway-well nearly,are they ever finished -and like you only built houses. Trouble is the boats "level" changes when in use. People move, water tanks fill and empty and so do holding tanks. My answer was to avoid the spirit level and work to existing lines of site. Basically windows and doors and floor. Square to windows and doors -vertical and horizontal. Works for my boat with no complaints so far. My only issue was/is my fold down bed which as it normal when down lists to a side dictated by the above variables (tanks etc) and other occupants. Am considering adjustable modification to counteract.  Regarding bulkheads in my case as the only ones were between bathroom, bedroom and saloon/galley I made them double skinned which provide a cavity for pipes cables vertically and across the vessel. Used tanalized roof batten as stud work with head and sole plate. Only lost 70 odd mm over all (57ft ) which was ofset by the convenience.