A New Coal Bunker

Featured Posts

I have been searching for a suitable Box/Tool Vault to place on my Front Deck in order to store Coal in the Winter Months . This has been prompted by the now almost Annual repaint of my front Deck where I store the Coal during the Winter Months . What generally happens is that during periods of Rain the Water runs off the top of the Bags and ends up causing Surface Rust over a period of Months

I have been looking at several online , I was thinking of Heavy Duty Black Plastic and was hoping to store six 25kg Bags . I have noticed a nice Chequer Plate silver one online though it looks a bit OTT in my view as the Boat is painted in Donegal Green and Black with Epiphanes Multiforte Red Decks and it sort of clashes and looks too much . Has anyone any thoughts or indeed experiences , I shall stick a couple of Links up to show what I have been looking at

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-storage-tool-box-vault-Navara-L200-Ranger-Navara-Hilux-custom/202320549589?hash=item2f1b3e96d5%3Ag%3AGZUAAOSwYmZXH1A6&_sacat=0&_nkw=storage+vaults&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

https://www.buyshedsdirect.co.uk/4-x2-toomax-black-320l-garden-storage-box?_$ja=tsid:|cid:1083053913|agid:61318323548|tid:pla-307715563654|crid:256202089397|nw:s|rnd:12006758315138533081|dvc:c|adp:1o3&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqsv9v_3E3AIVSLTtCh0ovQkYEAQYAyABEgKKwPD_BwE

We bought a heavy duty HDPE box from Homebase, which stores 4 bags of coal, but that is in our cratch which is covered so not open to the elements in winter. It was only £20 ish but does a very good job. For outside, you would need to make sure the lid fitted better.

Also,  if you go for HDPE (high density polyethylene), try and see some reviews on it. Most black HDPE will predominantly be made from recycle PE and so is likely to not have much UV stabiliser in .....so it will start to fall apart if in the sun over 3 or 4 years. HDPE will last for 10 years  or more (as per Oil storage tanks for domestic heating which are designed for 25 year life) but they have a lot of UV stabiliser added and are made with high stress crack resistant polymer. Most people who make black products from recycle HDPE dont understand the need to add additional UV stabiliser and use a lot of unsuitable HDPE.

I like the idea of the Aluminium one.

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

We bought a heavy duty HDPE box from Homebase, which stores 4 bags of coal, but that is in our cratch which is covered so not open to the elements in winter. It was only £20 ish but does a very good job. For outside, you would need to make sure the lid fitted better.

Also,  if you go for HDPE (high density polyethylene), try and see some reviews on it. Most black HDPE will predominantly be made from recycle PE and so is likely to not have much UV stabiliser in .....so it will start to fall apart if in the sun over 3 or 4 years. HDPE will last for 10 years  or more (as per Oil storage tanks for domestic heating which are designed for 25 year life) but they have a lot of UV stabiliser added and are made with high stress crack resistant polymer. Most people who make black products from recycle HDPE dont understand the need to add additional UV stabiliser and use a lot of unsuitable HDPE.

I like the idea of the Aluminium one.

I’m sure they do understand, but they also know if it lasts about 5 years you will reluctantly buy another without complaining too much.  

13 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I’m sure they do understand, but they also know if it lasts about 5 years you will reluctantly buy another without complaining too much.  

You would be surprised at the level of technical knowledge of HDPE of companies who mould recycle plastic.