How to suspend bunting flags on the roof?

Lottiespal

Featured Posts

Hi all, we’re having some friends on the boat next month for a surprise birthday weekend for one of them and want to suspend some bunting on the roof for when they arrive. Have seen it done on lots of boats before at boat gatherings but haven’t paid attention to how it’s secured. Any (sensible) suggestions would be appreciated. TIA ?

I have two poles, about 24" high, and then three light lines from the top of each. Two of them go to fender eyes at the side of the boat. The third goes (in the other direction) along the centre line, to a fixing point. That one also involves a short shock cord, to keep the whole thing under tension.  Then attach the bunting to that.

I also have a larger and more elaborate version, built for the 2012 Jubilee pageant but not used since then.

dscf3866.jpg

Flat wooden baseplate - choose your own size but mine is about one foot square. Secures to the roof using four of those magnetic cupboard door catches (plastic body which has a couple of slotted screw holes in the ends and a magnet between a couple of metal plates). Length of broom handle sticking straight up with a large screw through the baseplate into the end of the mast - length optional.  A couple of screws driven horizontally into the top end to give you something to tie the bunting to. Can be a wee bit unstable in winds / with too much bunting on so usually ends up with a heavy plantpot/planter weighing the base down as well.  OK for short term use - not a long term solution.

Thanks so much everybody, plenty of ideas for me to try. Must admit I hadn’t thought about magnets.

I tried filling a plant pot with an old cricket stump in it with quick drying cement but it couldn’t cope with the breeze.

Your display looks amazing Scholar Gypsy, thank you for sharing. ?

• Greenie 1

Thanks Machpoint005 and Neil, it's how to secure the broom handle/s down the centre of the roof I'm struggling with, several people have suggested magnets now, thank you, so I'm going to look into that. presumably I'll be able to use something like craft foam between the magnets and roof to protect the paintwork?

36 minutes ago, Lottiespal said:

Thanks Machpoint005 and Neil, it's how to secure the broom handle/s down the centre of the roof I'm struggling with, several people have suggested magnets now, thank you, so I'm going to look into that. presumably I'll be able to use something like craft foam between the magnets and roof to protect the paintwork?

Mag mounts have a protective layer to protect paint.

Neil

I have 2 big rectangular magnets from eBay, with a TV aerial pole fitting attached.  Normally it is for a 2 foot long pole with the TV aerial on, but for bunting occasions I have a longer pole perhaps 5 foot long that I use and then suspended bunting going to each corner of the boat.

Here it is in use at Stratford river festival

C47010EB-DA9D-4104-AFDC-EA1E57FAFC84.jpeg

Looks posher than the one I have, but yes that sort of thing.  This is like the one I have https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TV-Aerial-Mounting-Wall-Facia-Loft-Caravan-Bracket-Clamp-/302368428526

I then have some magnets for fixing “taxi” signs to car roofs that I found on eBay, like these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-of-Vehicle-MagPad1-super-strong-magnet-for-roof-signs-taxi-driving-school/182286353335

1 hour ago, Neil Smith said:

Already tried that, see post 13.

Neil

oops..missed that!  although I cant imagine why low level bunting would knock over a cement filled flower pot, broom handles top heavy perhaps.   I meant the large planter style tubs and then stringing bunting level to the next tub and so on.