Coach Builder/Cabinet Maker

Featured Posts

Hi,i am a 51 yr old time served Coach Builder and C&G qualified Cabinet Maker with 36yrs experience ,and have been a self employed kitchen/bedroom fitter for the last 20yrs. After doing  a few barge jobs for friends ive been hooked,so now buying a barge of my own and changing my business to  modernizing,restoring and renovating narrow boats and cruisers. Im fully mobile,and can offer  mobile joinery or welding services. Anyone with any advise or inquiries is welcome.

Hopefully the next 16 years will not go by quite so fast.

On the July 16th you said :

Hi, i'm a time served Coach Builder with 20yrs experience and C&G qualified Cabinet Maker. After spending the last 15yrs fitting kitchens i was asked by a friend to completely gut a 30ft Springer,and totally renew and redesign the interior. Being a cabinet maker with a lot of welding and spray painting experience, i jumped at the opportunity...………………….

And now, 3 weeks later you are :

Hi, i am a 51 yr old time served Coach Builder and C&G qualified Cabinet Maker with 36yrs experience ,and have been a self employed kitchen/bedroom fitter for the last 20yrs...………

Just Joking with you - Good luck in your ventures.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Sounds handy - where are you based Skippy?  How far might you travel?  What size of jobs will you take on - are smaller things like extra cupboards, cratch bench seating in your range?

Edited to add: I've just read Alan's post above - how's your timekeeping? 

(For readers of a certain age only): "tut tut,  tut tut tut" "What's that Skippy? Sonny's got stuck down the mine shaft and he's broken his arm?"  (Ah, now there was some quality 'stralian TV, eh Cobbers?) :D

Edited by Sea Dog

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Hopefully the next 16 years will not go by quite so fast.

On the July 16th you said :

Hi, i'm a time served Coach Builder with 20yrs experience and C&G qualified Cabinet Maker. After spending the last 15yrs fitting kitchens i was asked by a friend to completely gut a 30ft Springer,and totally renew and redesign the interior. Being a cabinet maker with a lot of welding and spray painting experience, i jumped at the opportunity...………………….

And now, 3 weeks later you are :

Hi, i am a 51 yr old time served Coach Builder and C&G qualified Cabinet Maker with 36yrs experience ,and have been a self employed kitchen/bedroom fitter for the last 20yrs...………

Just Joking with you - Good luck in your ventures.

Id give you a detailed blow by blow,but you seem more interested in picking things apart than being progressive. I served my time 36yrs ago,did my C&G 36yrs ago,been self employed for 20yrs.

10 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Sounds handy - where are you based Skippy?  How far might you travel?  What size of jobs will you take on - are smaller things like extra cupboards, cratch bench seating in your range?

(For readers of a certain age only): "tut tut,  tut tut tut" "What's that Skippy? Sonny's got stuck down the mine shaft and he's broken his arm?"  (Ah, now there was some quality 'stralian TV, eh Cobbers?) :D

Im currently based in Chorley,Lancs,but yes im willing to travel to do jobs. Im just finishing a complete rip out on a 30ft Springer,including new kitchen,fold away front A frame,Cratch board,front decking,full paint job,and its now the only Springer with 2 single beds and a King size bed,kitchen and toilet.

Edited by theskippy7

4 minutes ago, theskippy7 said:

Deleted - query answered, crossed in post.

5 minutes ago, theskippy7 said:

Im currently based in Chorley,Lancs,but yes im willing to travel to do jobs. Im just finishing a complete rip out on a 30ft Springer,including new kitchen,fold away front A frame,Cratch board,front decking,full paint job,and its now the only Springer with 2 single beds and a King size,kitchen and toilet.

I'm sure there's a fair bit of work out there.  Maybe when you've finished, a few photos might help show off your skills. 

Edited by Sea Dog

Might be worth getting on good terms with marinas and boatyards. Many will have restrictions on who they allow to work on their premises and strict rules regarding public liability insurance. I think a lot of marinas won't allow major works to be done on site. If you can be on friendly terms it will make things easier and possibly get you recommendations. 

Personally, having worked on a few folks' boats at a local marina, I'm not sure why you want to do it. Lugging materials along pontoons and threading them through tiny doorways, then contorting yourself whilst trying to do the work soon loses its novelty value. Also, in my experience, most boat owners want the only the essentials done at the keenest possible price. Probably not much of a market for full refits but maybe for kitchen and bathroom refurbs etc. 

1 hour ago, crossley said:

You can quote me for some joinery work. I'm in Manchester. Can do most things, but bloody hate woodwork. I'm looking for a good boat fitter/ wood butcher. 

Yes,no problem,you,re just down the road in Manchester,and i love creating anything from wood or steel. You can find me on FB Neil Bentley or 07817 179986,cheers.

44 minutes ago, stegra said:

Might be worth getting on good terms with marinas and boatyards. Many will have restrictions on who they allow to work on their premises and strict rules regarding public liability insurance. I think a lot of marinas won't allow major works to be done on site. If you can be on friendly terms it will make things easier and possibly get you recommendations. 

Personally, having worked on a few folks' boats at a local marina, I'm not sure why you want to do it. Lugging materials along pontoons and threading them through tiny doorways, then contorting yourself whilst trying to do the work soon loses its novelty value. Also, in my experience, most boat owners want the only the essentials done at the keenest possible price. Probably not much of a market for full refits but maybe for kitchen and bathroom refurbs etc. 

Ive been on building sites for the last 7yrs,got CIS,C&G,CSCS,CRB,5 million liability,110v gear etc etc,narrow boats are easy compared to building sites or a £20k private kitchen.

Ok then,  in the meantime, post up a few pics of this refit your just completing. I'm working in Tilbury docks for a couple of weeks so won't be at the boat. I'll pay a fair rate for quality work. No mdf or chipboard thank you, proper marine ply and wooden wood. Boats tend to get damp, houses generally don't. 

17 minutes ago, crossley said:

Ok then,  in the meantime, post up a few pics of this refit your just completing. I'm working in Tilbury docks for a couple of weeks so won't be at the boat. I'll pay a fair rate for quality work. No mdf or chipboard thank you, proper marine ply and wooden wood. Boats tend to get damp, houses generally don't. 

The previous thread when the OP first mentioned his plans.

Includes pictures of his work.

I have to say I think you're mad. Boaters are broadly demandy cheapskates who can't or won't acknowledge and pay for the sheer amount of time necessary assessing the work, being out and about buying materials and lugging them half a mile to the boat, whilst NOT on the boat doing the work. 

Far richer pickings to be had from land lubbers in my experience. 

Hope that helps.... ;)