Information on water cooled exhaust manifold please

wetfoot

Featured Posts

If you’ve produced more than 7kg of municipal offensive waste, or have more than one bag in a collection period, you must segregate it from any mixed municipal waste.

If you’ve produced less, you can dispose of your municipal offensive waste in your mixed municipal waste (‘black bag’). Use classification code 20-03-01.

27 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A Marina (or I'd suggest any other 'place') would not have an agreement in place with their waste carrier to allow such 'offensive waste' to be placed in the bin, irrespective of quantity.

I guess it now needs someone to prove that :

1) Properly composted sewage is 'non-offensive'

2) Partially composted sewage is 'non-offensive'

3) Boaters NEVER put partially composted sewage into the bins. 

or

4) BWML could just add a poo bin - which if there are any nappies disposed of at any marina they should already have as a legal requirement.

17 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

But you still have to declare the fact that you are putting it into the bin (and pay any additional charges) by listing 'classification 20-03-01' on your transfer documents.

For our bin collection (Biffa) I have to make an annual declaration listing every possible thing that could be put into the bin - I am then charged by Biffa at a rate determined by the contents of the bin.

Following some construction work we had a load of plasterboard left over, we had to hire a separate skip for it as plasterboard is considered 'difficult to dispose of' and they would not allow it to go into a 'mixed' skip.

You may notice at many commercial premises, the bins are locked - this is to avoid 'passers-by' from putting non-listed waste into the companies bins, resulting in fines of £1000s for non-declared waste.

Waste disposal is becoming a huge (and expensive) problem in our modern society.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You may notice at many commercial premises, the bins are locked - this is to avoid 'passers-by' from putting non-listed waste into the companies bins, resulting in fines of £1000s for non-declared waste.

Waste disposal is becoming a huge (and expensive) problem in our modern society.

So if someone puts a used disposable nappy in your commercial bin, you would get fined for it but if they put it in your domestic bin that would be OK.

I love joined up thinking in regulations.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

So if someone puts a used disposable nappy in your commercial bin, you would get fined for it but if they put it in your domestic bin that would be OK.

I love joined up thinking in regulations.

I have no eye dear.

But - it was in all the local press and TV that a family were fined for putting a dead pheasant into their domestic (re-cycling) bin.

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

^^^This^^^

The plumbing forums are full of threads about how these regulations stop us tradesmen taking our lunchtime fish and chip wrappers home in our vans without a Level Two Waste Carriers Licence which costs £156 (approx) every two years. 'Trade waste' apparently, as eating our lunch counts as trade associated activity. The best solution to this problem seems to be for us to chuck the wrappers out of the window rather than risk driving along with it in the van. Putting the wrappers in the bin at home is another offence, apparently.

The world's gorn MAD, I tell you!

Can you leave lunch wrappers in the customer's (domestic) bin?

To get back to the manifold question.

I think the design is very poor, it will always be stressed that far away from the cylinder head. The extra metal braces are totally useless, not rigid enough. 30mm angle iron may have been better. but triangulated back to the engine block mountings.

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

Can you leave lunch wrappers in the customer's (domestic) bin?

Nope, you're not 'getting' it. It is 'trade waste' and disposing of trade waste in domestic bins is an offence carrying a fine of £5k or summink similar. 

10 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

To get back to the manifold question.

I think the design is very poor, it will always be stressed that far away from the cylinder head. The extra metal braces are totally useless, not rigid enough. 30mm angle iron may have been better. but triangulated back to the engine block mountings.

I agree. The original photo looks just as poor in respect of having the tank part so far away from the cylinder head. If the OP has bought it I forecast continuing problems. I think he would do far better with a wrapped automotive manifold.

Interesting the OP does not seem to have clarified the points I raised about excess vibration/misfire etc.

Certain old cars, mainly performance cars with a bunch of carburetters sticking out the side on their manifold used stout steel support struts from the outward end of the inlet manifold down to and bolted to the side of the block, and of course these were petrol engines without the level of vibration that a diesel has.

I think the best option is for the op to contact Barrus and get the the proper manifold. I think the one for the Shire 45 fits the 4JH.

https://www.barrus.co.uk/divisions/marine/diesel/shire/

Marketing Services Department,
E.P. Barrus Ltd, 
Glen Way,
Launton Road
Bicester, Oxfordshire
OX26 4UR        

Tel: 01869 363636
Fax: 08714 298109
Email: customerservices@barrus.co.uk     

Edited by Flyboy

29 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

I think the best option is for the op to contact Barrus and get the the proper manifold. I think the one for the Shire 45 fits the 4JH.

https://www.barrus.co.uk/divisions/marine/diesel/shire/

Marketing Services Department,
E.P. Barrus Ltd, 
Glen Way,
Launton Road
Bicester, Oxfordshire
OX26 4UR        

Tel: 01869 363636
Fax: 08714 298109
Email: customerservices@barrus.co.uk     

That is if Barrus are willing to sell him a branded manifold to fit to what looks like a no-name marinisation. If I were Barrus it would be a polite refusal because  with t being branded they could get bad mouthed because of the failure of some other dodge in the future. As soon as the Barrus name goes on the engine people will epxct them to provide some degree of technical support/spares yet they will know nothing about the engine except it as a Barrus manifold.

24 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

That is if Barrus are willing to sell him a branded manifold to fit to what looks like a no-name marinisation. If I were Barrus it would be a polite refusal because  with t being branded they could get bad mouthed because of the failure of some other dodge in the future. As soon as the Barrus name goes on the engine people will epxct them to provide some degree of technical support/spares yet they will know nothing about the engine except it as a Barrus manifold.

I think you slightly misunderstood my post. I suggested that the op contacted Barrus to get the proper manifold as Barrus are the agents for Yanmar marine engines. The 4JH is a  proper marine engine built entirely by Yanmar.  I don't see any harm in asking Barrus about a Shire 45 manifold, they can always say no.

29 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

I think you slightly misunderstood my post. I suggested that the op contacted Barrus to get the proper manifold as Barrus are the agents for Yanmar marine engines. The 4JH is a  proper marine engine built entirely by Yanmar.  I don't see any harm in asking Barrus about a Shire 45 manifold, they can always say no.

That is basically what I said except I suggested they may very well say no. The OP also said some days ago that he was going to contact Barrus and later said he was going  buy the thing he showed in the first photo so the answer may well have been No - or he did not like the price.

@Tony Brooks

The engine does not exhibit any particular vibration or misfire, none more than one would expect, in fact it runs quite smoothly. The engine is only eight years old and I know the boat has been stationary in a marina (with the broken manicooler removed) for at least the last two years. The boat was bought with the manicooler broken and removed from the engine so we had some idea what we were letting ourselves in for. But if the engine did have excessive vibration I would have thought a cracked manicooler would be the least of our problems.

I did look at the Barrus website but found it less than helpful unless you knew exactly what you wanted. I also rang them as suggested and whilst they were quite polite and helpful, they said they couldn't do anything without a 'shire number', which was apparently supposed to be stamped on the rocker box cover. As I had no idea what a shire number was and certainly could not read any numbers that may have once upon a time been stamped on the engine I could proceed no further with them.

I've purchased the smaller manicooler in my photo for my son simply because it is the only thing I had seen that was remotely like what was originally fitted, although since the purchase I see that those like in the photos uploaded by Scholar Gypsy would have been more suitable as they fit closer to the engine.

In fact it was precisely seeking information such as Scholar Gypsy provided that led me to post my question here in the first place, although it was just a guess that canalworld would be frequented by people who knew about building and repairing engines used in boats, rather than just those who used boats for recreation. 

Thank you to everyone who has posted replies. I now know what it is and and what it is used for and since I have bought a replacement I guess my thread is over (at least until this one breaks).

Regards  

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, wetfoot said:

But if the engine did have excessive vibration I would have thought a cracked manicooler would be the least of our problems.

Indeed. And if it has excessive vibration then you should consider replacing the engine mounts. New ones make a huge difference if the old ones are soggy.