River Weaver

Neil2

Featured Posts

Has anyone been on the Weaver this summer?  I notice there are locking restrictions owing to the water shortage and wonder how the drought affects cruising the river generally.  eg the last time we were down there we had no problem mooring but I wonder if this is now an issue. 

I spent several days on the Weaver last month and didn't notice any significant change in water levels to those I have experienced previously. I had no problems at all with mooring and the lock restrictions were in place at that time.

I have heard that the Weaver gets some of its water as the overflow off the Middlewich Branch so the current absence of this is not helping.

The locks are huge so imposing some limits makes a lot of sense, I think the plan is to have boats going up, then boats coming down to avoid emptying a lock full of water without a boat.

.................Dave

Some weeks ago C&RT were saying that if the water levels dropped any further then the Anderton Lift would be shut down, as it is right on 'the bottom' of its 'drop' and there was only just enough water in the river for boats to get out & onto the river.

In addition, Marsh Lock (Weaver to Manchester Ship Canal) was damaged in June and there was/is considerable leakage - I can see nothing on C&RTs website with an update - the last was 11/6/18

Further to our stoppage notice of the 2nd June, serious damage has been caused to the lock gates due to a large vessel running into them.  The repairs will be a long process and the lock is now closed until further notice.   A further update will be added in a week.

No further  updates have been added.

No idea if the overall water level situation has changed

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Some weeks ago C&RT were saying that if the water levels dropped any further then the Anderton Lift would be shut down, as it is right on 'the bottom' of its 'drop' and there was only just enough water in the river for boats to get out & onto the river.

In addition, Marsh Lock (Weaver to Manchester Ship Canal) was damaged in June and there was/is considerable leakage - I can see nothing on C&RTs website with an update - the last was 11/6/18

Further to our stoppage notice of the 2nd June, serious damage has been caused to the lock gates due to a large vessel running into them.  The repairs will be a long process and the lock is now closed until further notice.   A further update will be added in a week.

No further  updates have been added.

No idea if the overall water level situation has changed

I don't expect regular updates on Marsh Lock, but I reckon there might be a "PR" type article when things get going. I believe that CaRT do intend to fit two new gates (I did fear that they might just abandon the lock altogether). They will make the new gates themselves (very good news) and are currently searching in Europe to find some Oak Trees that are big enough. Lets hope they find them before we crash out of Europe.

I don't think there is any mechanism for draining the Anderton caissons so if the water level in the caisson is too high when it gets down to the Weaver it might be difficult or dangerous to lift the gate, though of course this is exactly what is done on the guillotine gates on the Nene.

.................Dave

No problems at all on the Weaver. Very gentle waterway. Water levels good. Mooring is fine...plenty of spaces. Locks are timed but reasonably so. Lock keepers all helpful and friendly. Services work. Bus connections good. 

Little festival of boats 17th to 24th from Middlewich,  Northwich and Winsford with music at Barons Quay in Northwich.

Nice and wide....you can turn everywhere.

Fuel not that easy to find other than the fuel boat. Fill up perhaps before you drop down the lift.

Elsan disposal at Winsford, Northwich and Sutton Bridge. Rubbish bins on a pontoon at the British Waterways yard in Northwich...use council bins otherwise.

10 minutes ago, dmr said:

I don't expect regular updates on Marsh Lock, but I reckon there might be a "PR" type article when things get going. I believe that CaRT do intend to fit two new gates (I did fear that they might just abandon the lock altogether). They will make the new gates themselves (very good news) and are currently searching in Europe to find some Oak Trees that are big enough. Lets hope they find them before we crash out of Europe.

I don't think there is any mechanism for draining the Anderton caissons so if the water level in the caisson is too high when it gets down to the Weaver it might be difficult or dangerous to lift the gate, though of course this is exactly what is done on the guillotine gates on the Nene.

.................Dave

I think that a sudden change in the water level in the caisson, and therefore it's weight, is likely to cause interesting effects on  the balance of the system. One can imagine opening the gate, water flows out, and the caisson ascends back up!

MP.

21 minutes ago, dmr said:

They will make the new gates themselves (very good news) and are currently searching in Europe to find some Oak Trees that are big enough.

Interesting. 'm sure there must be big enough oaks here in the UK but we have an inherent reluctance to cut them down. It isn't as though more won't appear!

I have a customer who builds oak barns the trad way. He bought an oak forest in Virginia USA to secure a good supply of oak for his business.

18 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

I think that a sudden change in the water level in the caisson, and therefore it's weight, is likely to cause interesting effects on  the balance of the system. One can imagine opening the gate, water flows out, and the caisson ascends back up!

MP.

In its latest incarnation, the tanks work independently. The lifting is all by hydraulic cylinders powered by electric pumps.

There used to be a portable pump stationed by the lift bottom,if necessary to balance the water levels  between the tanks and the River but I guess that would be deemed too complex or unsafe to operate now. I gather it is impossible to open the gates if there is more than an inch or two difference between the two- computer says"No"

25 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

MP.

That creates some great mental images, think I might never use the lift again ?.

The two caissons can operate individually rather than balanced so I suspect the hydraulic system could cope with a water level change. The gates do seal just about perfectly and I think use a system of seals and wedges so it might be almost impossible to raise the gates with a significant level difference.

..............Dave

58 minutes ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

No problems at all on the Weaver. Very gentle waterway. Water levels good. Mooring is fine...plenty of spaces. Locks are timed but reasonably so. Lock keepers all helpful and friendly. Services work. Bus connections good. 

Little festival of boats 17th to 24th from Middlewich,  Northwich and Winsford with music at Barons Quay in Northwich.

Nice and wide....you can turn everywhere.

Fuel not that easy to find other than the fuel boat. Fill up perhaps before you drop down the lift.

Elsan disposal at Winsford, Northwich and Sutton Bridge. Rubbish bins on a pontoon at the British Waterways yard in Northwich...use council bins otherwise.

Yes - a super little river, but a 300 foot long water hose is a good idea.

We were fortunately with another boat and ended up joining 3 hoses together - I think it was at Norwich, NORTHWICH but could be wrong.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We were fortunately with another boat and ended up joining 3 hoses together - I think it was at Norwich, but could be wrong.

That’s your problem then....tap in Norwich...Boat in Northwich! 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

We were on the river yesterday and virtually zero flow. We were only there for the day with the grandson so didnt do any locks. The level at the lift was down about 2Cm.  2 Weeks ago the top end was down 10" 

Yes, you passed us moored just above Saltersford. We are now moored at Acton Bridge in company with the Daniel Adamson. Won't be using the water tap though as they are using it to flush their pump out tank! 

Edited to add that they are currently dredging the river near the now demolished ICI plant downstream of the lift and transporting the muck to a site between Acton Bridge and Dutton Locks. TM Sky has just passed us. I'd put a photo up but don't know how to reduce its size. 

Also, was told by the lock keeper at Saltersford that there is a new mooring pontoon between Acton Bridge and Dutton, just long enough for one narrowboat. 

Edited by pearley

3 hours ago, frangar said:

lol. Don’t worry....I’ve had much more embarrassing autocorrects in some quite serious work emails!! 

Indeed, I once sent out a specification that required the existing chilled water pipes to be shit blasted ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We were fortunately with another boat and ended up joining 3 hoses together - I think it was at Norwich, NORTHWICH but could be wrong.

Certainly not Northwich , the services next to the swing bridge don't need an extra long hose. The tap is on the building just up the steps. I'm interested as to where you needed a 300' hose. 

12 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Certainly not Northwich , the services next to the swing bridge don't need an extra long hose. The tap is on the building just up the steps. I'm interested as to where you needed a 300' hose. 

The only place I know of where a very long hose is necessary is Waddington Lock on the SSYN where the tap is at the top of a long slope. 

But that's not the River Weaver! 

20 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

I cannot remember - It was on the RH side heading upstream having come out of the lift and turned left.

The bankside (brick wall) was very high, rough and 'broken down', there were a number of seemingly abandoned boats tied up to it, we moored behind them. There was a small shed-like structure (elsan facilities ?) with a tap hidden away around the back. Our 175 foot hose would not reach and we needed to use our friend's two hoses to reach the tap - maybe I was exaggerating at 300ft, but it was certainly considerably longer than 200ft.

""It was on the RH side heading upstream having come out of the lift and turned left.

The bankside (brick wall) was very high, rough and 'broken down', there were a number of seemingly abandoned boats tied up to it, we moored behind them. There was a small shed-like structure (elsan facilities ?) with a tap hidden away around the back. Our 175 foot hose would not reach and we needed to use our friend's two hoses to reach the tap - maybe I was exaggerating at 300ft, but it was certainly considerably longer than 200ft."

I wonder if this could possibly have been either the British Waterways repair yard....or maybe the Yarwoods yard further on past Hunts Lock. Maybe a fair while ago?

14 minutes ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

""It was on the RH side heading upstream having come out of the lift and turned left.

The bankside (brick wall) was very high, rough and 'broken down', there were a number of seemingly abandoned boats tied up to it, we moored behind them. There was a small shed-like structure (elsan facilities ?) with a tap hidden away around the back. Our 175 foot hose would not reach and we needed to use our friend's two hoses to reach the tap - maybe I was exaggerating at 300ft, but it was certainly considerably longer than 200ft."

I wonder if this could possibly have been either the British Waterways repair yard....or maybe the Yarwoods yard further on past Hunts Lock. Maybe a fair while ago?

7 or 8 years ago and I'm pretty sure it was before Hunts Lock and it wasn't the BW yard or Yarwoods (isn't that 'hidden' behind the trees and off the main part of the River ?)

It doesn't really matter - I should have kept a better log.