Climbing out of a shallow river - how hard can it be?

gbclive

Featured Posts

We recently bought a rope ladder with plastic rungs.

Got to use it today when we succumbed to the heat and went for a cracking swim in the Nene just downstream from Doddington lock.

Beautiful clear but weedy water, with the bed shelving gently down and away from a relatively low grassy bank.

Depth at the edge was about 2’ and the grassy bank was only about 18”.

I’m 6’ 2” so I reasoned that to get out I would simply stand up at the edge facing away from the bank and use my arms and legs to spring neatly into a sitting position on the bank.

However - having read various cautionary forum discussions on this and just to be sure, we rigged the new rope ladder to a mooring pin, but thought it unlikely that we would need it?

WRONG! 

The sloping silty river bed was incredibly slippery, even though I was wearing diving boots with good tread.

After a refreshing swim, each time I tried to stand up next to the bank, there was a splash as my feet shot away from under me.

So it turned out the ladder was the only realistic way back up onto the bank.

If conditions are as nice when we stop tomorrow I’ll try the ladder from the counter which will likely be a whole different ball game.

(BTW, aware of Weil's disease)

2D2F2179-5E52-453D-85CE-010F289121B8.jpeg

I went for a full immersion fall one Christmas Eve.  The water was very cold and I was wearing a fleece which became very heavy once saturated.  The only time I've been grateful for the 'Shroppie shelf'.  Although the water was barely three feet deep and the towpath lest than a foot above the water, I think I would have really struggled without the step to help me up.

9 hours ago, dor said:

I went for a full immersion fall one Christmas Eve.  The water was very cold and I was wearing a fleece which became very heavy once saturated.  The only time I've been grateful for the 'Shroppie shelf'.  Although the water was barely three feet deep and the towpath lest than a foot above the water, I think I would have really struggled without the step to help me up.

I fell in a lock above Elland late one November. A lot more than 3 ft deep there. Impossible to get out until my wife stopped a couple of cyclists. 

Interesting item on the Today programme about reducing drownings over the summer. The RNLI lifesaver repeated their standard advice on how to deal with cold water shock.

Basically, float for a minute and do nothing, wait for your pulse and breathing and pulse to settle, and then think carefully what to do next. Easy to say!

Hi Clive,

Shall be interested to see how you get on with the ladder on the counter. I attempted to get a (slightly drunk) and chubby chap out of the Trent not many weeks ago using one-he couldnt  manage it even with me pulling him. 

Cracking spot you are on-one off my fave moorings to stop at - never tried swimming there though!

12 hours ago, gbclive said:

We recently bought a rope ladder with plastic rungs.

Got to use it today when we succumbed to the heat and went for a cracking swim in the Nene just downstream from Doddington lock.

Beautiful clear but weedy water, with the bed shelving gently down and away from a relatively low grassy bank.

Depth at the edge was about 2’ and the grassy bank was only about 18”.

I’m 6’ 2” so I reasoned that to get out I would simply stand up at the edge facing away from the bank and use my arms and legs to spring neatly into a sitting position on the bank.

However - having read various cautionary forum discussions on this and just to be sure, we rigged the new rope ladder to a mooring pin, but thought it unlikely that we would need it?

WRONG! 

The sloping silty river bed was incredibly slippery, even though I was wearing diving boots with good tread.

After a refreshing swim, each time I tried to stand up next to the bank, there was a splash as my feet shot away from under me.

So it turned out the ladder was the only realistic way back up onto the bank.

If conditions are as nice when we stop tomorrow I’ll try the ladder from the counter which will likely be a whole different ball game.

(BTW, aware of Weil's disease)

2D2F2179-5E52-453D-85CE-010F289121B8.jpeg

Serious question. Do you know the correct way to climb a rope ladder?

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Please sir - I do !!!

The way I was taught

Image result for how to climb a rope ladder

Or (not so successful in my experience)

Image result for how to climb a rope ladder

Well posted that man. The problem is they are not ideal for the intended use of narroboaters as  the picture shows if against canal bank or boats hull etc. I carry a lightweight rigid ladder which is more useful.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Picture A or B ?

Picture B is pretty close, unless you got me on a good-day.

If pic b is you, i am impressed at your horizontal climbing technique. 

Edited by rusty69

Just now, Scholar Gypsy said:

As well as a rescue ladder at the stern, this is another argument for a solid aluminium ladder (stored on the roof)....

Yes we cross posted. Mine is immediately accessible alloy on the roof

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Of pic b is you, i am impressed at your horizontal climbing technique. 

That's about as high I can lift my weight these days.

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Yes we cross posted. Mine is immediately accessible alloy on the roof

So if Mrs Smelly has gone out shopping and you decide to do a bit of polishing (ha, ha) and if you fall in how do you deploy the said ladder stowed on the roof ?

It may be a much better method of getting out of the water, but, a rolled up rope ladder, stowed on the stern is at least accessible.

'Real boaters' seem to be able to use them off the side / stern & in deep water

Image result for emergency boat ladder

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's about as high I can lift my weight these days.

So if Mrs Smelly has gone out shopping and you decide to do a bit of polishing (ha, ha) and if you fall in how do you deploy the said ladder stowed on the roof ?

It may be a much better method of getting out of the water, but, a rolled up rope ladder, stowed on the stern is at least accessible.

'Real boaters' seem to be able to use them off the side / stern & in deep water

Image result for emergency boat ladder

Your picture shows a boat shaped hull so it's easier cos of overhang and anyway who's to say he got out from that pic? We never ever go on the roof or gunwales etc when alone on the boat so will not be falling in alone and as for polish! You know the answer to that one ?

1 hour ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

As well as a rescue ladder at the stern, this is another argument for a solid aluminium ladder (stored on the roof)....

Except that, having had stuff nicked off the roof before, it's all strapped down on our boat.