Working while Cc live aboard

Chiefychops

Featured Posts

Hi there, first post with a load of questions!   Sorry if it's long winded.  I've searched and found some answers but open to as many views as possible please.  Negative ones especially, as it's always easy to see the greener grass. 

Our scenario, we are a couple with houses in different parts of the country, and grown up kids still living in them, so selling one or both (downsizing etc) isn't an option at the minute, other than evicting our kids ? .   Both in our 50's and looking towards a more relaxed life,  one of us has a pension income, and potentially rental income from house.   Done the narrow boat holidays, one of us for many years, and more winter jaunts planned for later this year, so we are aware of limitations of living aboard (though I'm sure full time brings a whole new set of challenges). 

Initially i I would like to carry on working for a while, both financially and while I'm still young enough to do so.    I'm self employed and work with two smallish dogs,  my work is spread through the uk mainland, so I have to travel sometimes large distances wherever I live.   I need a vehicle to transport the dogs around.     Is it a practical option to CC ?  And move a vehicle about?    I don't anticipate working more than 10 days a month, and most of that would be in blocks of 2-4 days at a time.  

How do people cope with having a vehicle and cc'ing, I'm not tied to any particular area at all, is it easy to find somewhere to park that's safe to leave a van.  (Appreciate cars can get screwed anywhere) . Do people pay at pubs or farms to park ?  

Lastly for now!  Dogs on boats.....   Two very energetic spaniels, at the minute they are kennelled outside, and hey do spend a fair few night sleeping in cages in van while I'm away, so a bit of confinement isn't strange to them.    How do people get along with living aboard with hyper dogs, and does anyone have a separate area for the dogs to live ?    Do they happily sit in the well deck or stern while you're moving.  I have visions of them either running wild  on the roof, or repeatedly diving overboard.  

Sorry that was so long...... All replies most appreciated.   Ta. 

• Greenie 1

Welcome to the forum - and that's an excellent first post. :)

2 minutes ago, Chiefychops said:

Is it a practical option to CC ?  And move a vehicle about?    I don't anticipate working more than 10 days a month, and most of that would be in blocks of 2-4 days at a time.  

How do people cope with having a vehicle and cc'ing, I'm not tied to any particular area at all, is it easy to find somewhere to park that's safe to leave a van.  (Appreciate cars can get screwed anywhere) . Do people pay at pubs or farms to park ?  

Yes, very much so.  You do need to do a little bit of planning so you can pick spots you can moor and park.  You will do a lot of walking to go and get the car, but as you have lively dogs that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

We try not to pay for car parking if at all possible, and it usually is.  Many pubs will let you leave your car in a corner of the carpark for a few days if you are using the pub - just ask, after you have ordered a meal or a round.

For city centres, we like to find a railway station with a free car park a couple of stops outside the city and use that.  For example, New Pudsey is a £3 ticket into Leeds, but the Q-Park (a longer walk from Granary Wharf than the station) is about £25-£40 per night. 

Depending on where you are, there are usually spaces to park in quieter residential areas within a few hundred yards of a bridge.  We have never had any trouble with the car being dumped all over the place, but obviously don't leave anything interesting on view.

Good luck with it.

Wow that was a far quicker reply than I was expecting,. Many thanks,. That's just the sort of info I was looking for.  

Both of us, at the minute are still fit and active and able to walk or cycle a fair old way.    

The lifelong cautious side in me, is always looking for the problems, that may actually not be there.  But far better to see them now than later on.    We do also have an exit plan, property will always be kept, and ISA's are filling up nicely, thought boat purchase will drain them, continuing to work will keep them growing, while my lovely lady hopefully gets  to retire and relax for a while 

alan...... Lovely dogs,. Unfortunately I don't think I've ever seen my spaniels do that,. Not sure that they actually sleep .... Ever ???

Edited by Chiefychops

56 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yes, very much so.  You do need to do a little bit of planning so you can pick spots you can moor and park.  You will do a lot of walking to go and get the car, but as you have lively dogs that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

One thought is to save the legs and use a pushbike, perhaps a folding variety, to get back to fetch the car, otherwise two hours of cruising can be 2 hours of walking, rather than 30 minutes of cycling.

Just make sure it is light if you cycle along the tow path. Tow paths are very variable and unlit. I've come a cropper a couple of times though never fallen in the drink!

Trailing a car when cc ing is an absolute pain and insurance can be an issue. We avoid at all cost and store our car as much as possible in our garage. We use train bus bike if we have to get it  and return it base as much as possible.

having said that when we were working and cc ing we frequently had 2 cars, one being a work vehicle that was easier( insured everywhere any driver etc).

be prepared to have arguments over parking rights sometimes - people think the area around their house is theirs, and be sensitive. We have lost a few cars and a few windows over the years. We try and never leave a car more than 2 nights. Jags subaru lotus not recommended!!! After going to the land we bought a golf gti - got nicked from the drive!!!!

On 06/08/2018 at 13:18, roland elsdon said:

Trailing a car when cc ing is an absolute pain and insurance can be an issue. We avoid at all cost and store our car as much as possible in our garage. We use train bus bike if we have to get it  and return it base as much as possible.

having said that when we were working and cc ing we frequently had 2 cars, one being a work vehicle that was easier( insured everywhere any driver etc).

be prepared to have arguments over parking rights sometimes - people think the area around their house is theirs, and be sensitive. We have lost a few cars and a few windows over the years. We try and never leave a car more than 2 nights. Jags subaru lotus not recommended!!! After going to the land we bought a golf gti - got nicked from the drive!!!!

You brought the wrong make of car, Get yourself something like a Lada Riva,  Reliant Robin or a  Hillman Imp. No car thief will want to wreck their street cred being seen nicking one of these. 

I cc with a car.  It's fine.  If I'm on a new bit of canal I use google satellite view and street view to scope out parking spots.  Very often there's a layby to park in right by the canal (because landlubbers like to park and walk their dogs on the towpath).  I then keep a note of good parking spots with bridge numbers.  I'm a jogger and can comfortably jog around 6-8 miles without much bother so that's the most I move at a time.  If I need to do a longer move I can use public transport.  An app called Rome2Rio will help with this. 

I move every one to two weeks.  Most visitor moorings are only 48 hours so you'll need to moor a bit further away from bridges, but not much.  From November to March nearly all visitor moorings go to 14 days so you get the pick of the best spots.

17 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

You brought the wrong make of car, Get yourself something like a Lada Riva,  Reliant Robin or a  Hillman Imp. No car thief will want to wreck their street cred being seen nicking one of these. 

You posted this in the wrong section - it should have been in "1970s"  ;) 

(I get your point, but try finding those cars nowadays!)

8 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I cc with a car.  It's fine.  If I'm on a new bit of canal I use google satellite view and street view to scope out parking spots.  Very often there's a layby to park in right by the canal (because landlubbers like to park and walk their dogs on the towpath).  I then keep a note of good parking spots with bridge numbers.  I'm a jogger and can comfortably jog around 6-8 miles without much bother so that's the most I move at a time.  If I need to do a longer move I can use public transport.  An app called Rome2Rio will help with this. 

I move every one to two weeks.  Most visitor moorings are only 48 hours so you'll need to moor a bit further away from bridges, but not much.  From November to March nearly all visitor moorings go to 14 days so you get the pick of the best spots.

I had a friend who worked and CCed, he moved most days, not far, maybe just bottom to top of flight so the car was always walking distance but over 14 days moved far enough to keep everyone happy

14 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I had a friend who worked and CCed, he moved most days, not far, maybe just bottom to top of flight so the car was always walking distance but over 14 days moved far enough to keep everyone happy

I hop from one good mooring/parking spot to the next.  I try to move at least 2 miles every 14 days (often further).  If the next good spot is only a mile on, I move on after a week.  Seems to keep CRT happy.

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

From your avatar I can see that you're a blue androgynous creature with a blank expression and a crumpled hat.

Yes, well, i like my digital persona to be an accurate reflection of my physical appearance! 

53 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I hop from one good mooring/parking spot to the next.  I try to move at least 2 miles every 14 days (often further).  If the next good spot is only a mile on, I move on after a week.  Seems to keep CRT happy.

Personally, I thought explorers went more than 2 miles. Indiana Jones did.?

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Yeah, but he had an a̶a̶r̶d̶v̶a̶r̶k̶ ark, Dora hasn't! 

You don't know that.  I'm not sure i can respect a person who doesn't know who Dr Manhattan is.

8 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Personally, I thought explorers went more than 2 miles. Indiana Jones did.?

Explorers can explore over any range they choose.  Whether or not that satisfys CRTs continuous cruising guidelines.

• Haha 1