Archimedes

SOBB

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Admiral said:

I sold Archimedes to your father. He always loved it.

Yes, we spent good times together on board.I just watched “0ld Glory-Wisbeach” on YouTube, brought back some memories.

22 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Now I'm confused again. 

Alan, could well have been Mountbatten and Jellicoe.

Mike. Might have been there that I saw them. 

Its sad that whereever they are, probably getting vandalised, they haven't been sold. It'll be good to see them at work again. Shortage of diesel Supplies Napton to Warwick.

Thought that I remembered seeing/hearing that shortly after they ceased working & were moored on the K&A Newbury area  it was said bits were being thieved off them

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

It burns 500 litres of diesel per hour!

Silly woman.

I wonder if she knows how many litres of fuel it takes for a jumbo jet to fly to Florida for a bunch of proles to visit Disneyland. The answer puts 500 litres an hour into better perspective. 

Since the year dot the distribution of wealth has always seemed to some unfair, there will always be haves & have not's I have no doubt that the owner is paying a hefty mooring fee, possibly more than the council tax ,income tax etc than the 2 protesters so is contributing more to the local economy than they are I would have thought welcome & encouragement (& take their cash)rather than protest would be the way to go if it's a strapped for cash area,  envy is a strong pill to swallow

• 3 weeks later...

Many fond memories of Archimedes and Ara, sharing a bottle of single malt with Barney who bought the business from Alan and (Trish?). I also used to live on Marcellus no. 308, the proper 70 foot one ?  converted by the late Ian Clifton. Apparently, she was the butty to Archimedes when they were launched in the early 1930's.

On 06/08/2018 at 15:15, Scholar Gypsy said:

You did better than me. Last time I tried to get a mooring there,  they said it was too dangerous for narrowboats to go that far down river ... 

dscf9942.jpg

I've just come back from a sailing barge trip out of Maldon, Essex where I saw a narrow boat moored by the quay, I also saw two more on the hard at Fambridge on the Crouch.

Keith

12 minutes ago, Steilsteven said:

I've just come back from a sailing barge trip out of Maldon, Essex where I saw a narrow boat moored by the quay, I also saw two more on the hard at Fambridge on the Crouch.

Keith

Yes, me too - a lovely day out.  https://nbsg.wordpress.com/2017/09/16/thames-barge-hydrogen/

I have been pondering about a narrowboat convoy to the Chelmer and Blackwater. I know it has been done once (by the Tuesday Night Club, though their blog does say that Maldon to  Brentford in a day was a bit much, at 116 miles and 2 locks !!)

Maldon, Burnham,  both nice towns, and good pubs alongside , but you have to keep an eye on the tides as it mostly dries out at low water. Probably practical especially if using havengore creek, then the roach and crouch for an overnight before cutting inside the sands to bradwell and the blackwater. Much depends on the weather as all are shallow waters and get a bit of short sea chop, but a great trip. Have kept a boat  on the crouch and the blackwater at various times.

• Greenie 1

• 1 month later...

I took this photo of Archie and Ara this morning. 

Gallions Point Marina has been repossessed by GLAP (Greater London Authority) and is under management of RoDMA (Royal Docks Management Authority) and a partner. Owners of items stored on the property have until 26 October to contact management regarding access and continuation of contracts. 

2lo5bv6.jpg

I also took these pictures of notices on the entrance to the marina 

14y0qj8.jpg

23tnyo7.jpg

Edited by magnetman

Both have been refooted and rebottomed in steel. I was told, and as always am happy to be corrected, that when Archimedes was rebottomed the old knees were retained in case someone wanted to put a wooden bottom back on for authenticity. It was Alan who used to run it with his misses Trish that told me this. I may have got wrong end of stick. Other than the cabin extension Archimedes is a pretty nice original "Small Woolwich" motor. HR2 is a bit noisy but a nice bit of power there. 

36 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Both have been refooted and rebottomed in steel. I was told, and as always am happy to be corrected, that when Archimedes was rebottomed the old knees were retained in case someone wanted to put a wooden bottom back on for authenticity. It was Alan who used to run it with his misses Trish that told me this. I may have got wrong end of stick. Other than the cabin extension Archimedes is a pretty nice original "Small Woolwich" motor. HR2 is a bit noisy but a nice bit of power there. 

When I bought Archimedes it was composite. At that time I removed the SR3 from the back cabin and put in the HR2 back into the original engine room. My dad put the extension cabin on to make it easier for living on.

When I sold the boat to Albert he ran it for a while with the wooden bottoms but he did replace the bottom with steel I think in the early 90's

Was a lovely boat to boat with and went like a rocket with the wooden bottoms in....

I am pretty sure Ara is steel bottomed.