Getting rid of chimney drip

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

This makes sense.  So why have a lil hat at all?  Most boats seem to have them.  Is it just coz they look nice?  (Like ecofans)

My boat does not and when the fire is not in use the chimney is stored away and a cheap stainless saucepan sans handle covers  flue plate casting with one side propped on a bit f wood for ventilation.

I was told how to solve this by a Willow Wren boatman many years ago.  Every time you pass a tree whose branches are starting to get in the way, reach out and snap off the last foot of the branch and shove it down the chimney a few times.  It will keep the chimney clear of tar - and also help to keep the trees trimmed back.

11 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Nope, just don't bother with a coolie hat at all. 20 years live aboard  

Phil 

Has your stove never been affected by rain during the times when it's not been lit? My concern with not having one is the stove getting damp and deteriorating through rust (Squirrel). Having needed to replace many over the years that have either blown off or disintegrated, I'm tempted to leave it off.

11 minutes ago, rgreg said:

Has your stove never been affected by rain during the times when it's not been lit? My concern with not having one is the stove getting damp and deteriorating through rust (Squirrel). Having needed to replace many over the years that have either blown off or disintegrated, I'm tempted to leave it off.

That is why I use a tilted inverted saucepan over the roof collar when the stove is not lit but just as important I leave the stove vents open, again for ventilation.

2 hours ago, rgreg said:

As Tony has already posted, only difference is I use a cruising cowl which is basically a saucepan without a handle and is a snug fit on the roof collar. 

Phil 

20 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

As Tony has already posted, only difference is I use a cruising cowl which is basically a saucepan without a handle and is a snug fit on the roof collar. 

Phil 

Ah, right; I use the same during the summer months with the chimney removed, but once I start lighting the stove in Autumn the chimney goes on together with coolie hat. I'm not concerned with rain when the stove is lit but feel it could be damaging when it's not without protection. 

36 minutes ago, rgreg said:

Ah, right; I use the same during the summer months with the chimney removed, but once I start lighting the stove in Autumn the chimney goes on together with coolie hat. I'm not concerned with rain when the stove is lit but feel it could be damaging when it's not without protection. 

Well then, just stick your summer cowl over the chimney. I reckon the taper on the chimney should make the top end small enough to fit inside the cowl. Remember whenever the stove is not lit you still need ventilation to avoid condensation inside the stove & flue.

About a thousand years ago on this forum, someone came up with a method or product that took the staining out/off the paintwork following tar running. 

Anyone remember what it was.

(probably not a thousand years ago).

56 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

About a thousand years ago on this forum, someone came up with a method or product that took the staining out/off the paintwork following tar running. 

I get mrs Rusty to use white vinegar on ours. Dunno if it is detrimental to the paint though. 

Edited by rusty69

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Sugar Soap works pretty well although not always 100% effective 

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Well then, just stick your summer cowl over the chimney. I reckon the taper on the chimney should make the top end small enough to fit inside the cowl. Remember whenever the stove is not lit you still need ventilation to avoid condensation inside the stove & flue.

The summer cowl is too big for the chimney and just blows off. Besides, I don't want to put something on and off when I'm lighting the stove periodically in autumn/spring (in winter the stove's on 24/7 so no issue).

I was really just interested in Phil Ambrose's original post which suggested he never used any cover and wondered what effect that had on the stove life. He later clarified that he does use a cover. 

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I used neat washing up liquid followed by brasso to remove some tar stains off the cream paint of our last shareboat.

I have some 4" pipe cut to about 24 inches.  I've pop-riveted a band of aluminium about four inches up and this just drops into the chimney collar.  Any gunk just goes back down the flue.  I take it off when not using the stove and have a cover for the collar. Takes seconds to swap them over and not a drop of gunk on the roof.  Cheap as well if you buy a two metre length and cut it into three.

I saw a good/neat idea on our marina on a liveaboard wide beam. Square (optional) metal plate slightly bigger than the coolie hat with a circular hole in the centre so that it slides down over the chimney (and probably over the roof collar too) with a small lip around the hole. Small lip around the outside as well so you basically have a flat tray fitting around the base of the chimney. Now cut a hole in the outer lip and attach a piece of rigid small bore tubing long enough to clear the side of the boat, large enough bore to take any tarry deposits without blocking and with a slight downward slope to encourage drainage. Any gunge from the chimbly drops on the tray and, with a slight cant on the tray, will run overboard, missing the boat. The design has the added advantage (I guess) that rain will also fall on the plate and rinse it periodically. You remember rain, dont you? Stuff used to fall from the sky and fill the canal!