Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
RichardtheGardener

Getting rid of chimney drip

Featured Posts

I have been spending part of the afternoon cleaning off the tar which has dripped from the chimney cowl over the last winter and on to the roof. 

 

The wife recommends wrapping a rag around it this winter to catch all the drips, but I was wondering if any of you had any ideas to reduce or get rid of chimney drip? 

 

Thanks

 

Richard  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RichardtheGardener said:

I have been spending part of the afternoon cleaning off the tar which has dripped from the chimney cowl over the last winter and on to the roof. 

 

The wife recommends wrapping a rag around it this winter to catch all the drips, but I was wondering if any of you had any ideas to reduce or get rid of chimney drip? 

 

Thanks

 

Richard  

Buy a chimney from Alex moored at Enslow they are great and you will never have grunge again on yer boat. I have his tel number if u want to ring him. You will not get better. Stop changing yer forum name 😊

Edited by mrsmelly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Buy a chimney from Alex moored at Enslow they are great and you will never have grunge again on yer boat. I have his tel number if u want to ring him. You will not get better. Stop changing yer forum name 😊

The wife just said 'I told you so' when I read your post to her. Looks like we're getting an Alex chimney! Does it not need a cowl then as that seems to be the issue! 

With regards to changing me name. I lost details for old account ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RichardtheGardener said:

The wife just said 'I told you so' when I read your post to her. Looks like we're getting an Alex chimney! Does it not need a cowl then as that seems to be the issue! 

With regards to changing me name. I lost details for old account ;)

Doesn't need one mate the design drops the grunge back into the stove. I will show you mine so you can see how it works. I will be around your way again in a week or so and ring you to arrange 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Doesn't need one mate the design drops the grunge back into the stove. I will show you mine so you can see how it works. I will be around your way again in a week or so and ring you to arrange 👍

Great. We're in Coventry at the moment in the basin. Will be back a week today. 

Our only issue will be that our flue doesn't go straight into the stove top but via a tee joint on the back. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The scientific explanation is identical as why ones nose tends to drip when entering into a warm room from out in the cold.  I'd use a hanky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RichardtheGardener said:

Great. We're in Coventry at the moment in the basin. Will be back a week today. 

Our only issue will be that our flue doesn't go straight into the stove top but via a tee joint on the back. 

 

It will work 👍

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You certainly don't want a coolie hat on top. Its an ideal shape to condense water vapour & tar so t runs down the inside of the cap and drips off outside the chimney.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gareth E said:

Hat or no hat, double skinned chimney, I still get this mess, and it's a bugger to get off. 

We have a double skinned chimney. I have wrapped the inner chimney with exhaust wrap then sealed it with fire retardant foam. Never had any problem with tar stains. The inner sleeve should fit down inside the collar.

Edited by Ray T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gareth E said:

Hat or no hat, double skinned chimney, I still get this mess, and it's a bugger to get off. 

Is your inner skin fitted inside the roof fitting with the outer skin on the outside? I have seen some chimneys fitted with both ouside thevfitting so the tar runs out onto the roof. I also agree with others that you should remove the Chinamans hat when the stove is lit because the lower edge of the hat is outsde the chimney, letting the tar drip onto the roof.

 

Howard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

So I'm supposed to keep taking the hat on and off every time I light my stove?  Really?  Do people actually do this?

It's more for folks who aren't on their boats all the time.......or are finiskybabout their paintwork.😊

For those that live on board all winter then the stoves never out anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

So I'm supposed to keep taking the hat on and off every time I light my stove?  Really?  Do people actually do this?

You can, of course, do whatever you wish but it does help to stop tar drips. When the stove is lit the updraft up the chimney stops rain going down it which is why most people fit the hats. I just take it off when lighting the stove, otherwise I leave it on.

 

Howard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It's more for folks who aren't on their boats all the time.......or are finiskybabout their paintwork.😊

For those that live on board all winter then the stoves never out anyway.

I live on board.  There are times of year when I light my stove sometimes but not all the time.  Like when its a bit cold but not very cold.  In September I might have my stove lit 30% of the time.  In October 70%.  In November 90%.  Then all the time from the end of November to March it's on nearly all the time, except if I'm going away for a few days or I let my fire go out to clean the flue out.  So there's lots of times when my stove is going on and off.  Should I be taking my hat on and off too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I live on board.  There are times of year when I light my stove sometimes but not all the time.  Like when its a bit cold but not very cold.  In September I might have my stove lit 30% of the time.  In October 70%.  In November 90%.  Then all the time from the end of November to March it's on nearly all the time, except if I'm going away for a few days or I let my fire go out to clean the flue out.  So there's lots of times when my stove is going on and off.  Should I be taking my hat on and off too?

I think you are going to have to work it out for yourself.😊

 

Howard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I live on board.  There are times of year when I light my stove sometimes but not all the time.  Like when its a bit cold but not very cold.  In September I might have my stove lit 30% of the time.  In October 70%.  In November 90%.  Then all the time from the end of November to March it's on nearly all the time, except if I'm going away for a few days or I let my fire go out to clean the flue out.  So there's lots of times when my stove is going on and off.  Should I be taking my hat on and off too?

 

You can leave your hat on.

 

 

Edited by David Mack
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have recently seen one boat with a try around the base of the chimney about 1” deep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most tarry drips from coolie hats is caused by damp or wet fuel being fed onto the fire. Thoroughly dry the fuel before loading it on, and that wood is thoroughly dry and seasoned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I live on board.  There are times of year when I light my stove sometimes but not all the time.  Like when its a bit cold but not very cold.  In September I might have my stove lit 30% of the time.  In October 70%.  In November 90%.  Then all the time from the end of November to March it's on nearly all the time, except if I'm going away for a few days or I let my fire go out to clean the flue out.  So there's lots of times when my stove is going on and off.  Should I be taking my hat on and off too?

Better to take the whole chimney off when the stove’s not lit and put a cap on.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

Better to take the whole chimney off when the stove’s not lit and put a cap on.

This makes sense.  So why have a lil hat at all?  Most boats seem to have them.  Is it just coz they look nice?  (Like ecofans)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.