Marina planning application South Oxford canal

Tunnelman51

Featured Posts

In their haste to get to the Cropredy festival, has anybody else noticed the innocuous piece of paper pinned to the fence adjacent to bridge 143 on the South Oxford canal ?

A new marina, access road , ancillary buildings, conservation lake etc, all taking up pretty much most of the land eastwards of the canal between bridges 143 and 144.

I don't know how to post a link, but it can be found at www.publicaccess.cherwell.gov.uk/online-applications/.     Ref 18/0041/SO

There will probably be loads of objections, but if it does come to fruition I can only see one upside-the creation of an extra holding tank of summit water on an already very busy canal.

Is it really necessary? Cropredy marina is looking to expand, and I don't think Fenny is completely full.

Perhaps CRT are going to send a man along with a STOP/ GO board and position him at the pinch point/ southern end of the Fenny tunnel cutting, Oh, and they could also cut back the spreading vegetation and dredge the approaches to same, 'cos these waiting boats are going to need somewhere to park.....

Me? I think I'll just mosey along there with my deckchair and popcorn on a summer sunday , find a shady spot and watch the ensuing melee......

9 minutes ago, Tunnelman51 said:

In their haste to get to the Cropredy festival, has anybody else noticed the innocuous piece of paper pinned to the fence adjacent to bridge 143 on the South Oxford canal ?

A new marina, access road , ancillary buildings, conservation lake etc, all taking up pretty much most of the land eastwards of the canal between bridges 143 and 144.

I don't know how to post a link, but it can be found at www.publicaccess.cherwell.gov.uk/online-applications/.     Ref 18/0041/SO

There will probably be loads of objections, but if it does come to fruition I can only see one upside-the creation of an extra holding tank of summit water on an already very busy canal.

Is it really necessary? Cropredy marina is looking to expand, and I don't think Fenny is completely full.

Perhaps CRT are going to send a man along with a STOP/ GO board and position him at the pinch point/ southern end of the Fenny tunnel cutting, Oh, and they could also cut back the spreading vegetation and dredge the approaches to same, 'cos these waiting boats are going to need somewhere to park.....

Me? I think I'll just mosey along there with my deckchair and popcorn on a summer sunday , find a shady spot and watch the ensuing melee......

Previously discussed:

24 minutes ago, dunfixing said:

marina there will be a nightmare, the canal is already over used in the summer months. 

I've never found it to be too busy round there. The next month or so it's best not to cruise much anyway and wait till Fabbo September onwards when cruising is immeasurably better innitt. There can never be too many marinas as pricing is very much linked to supply and demand and 99 percent of marina boats don't leave the marina anyway. ?

There is quite often a long wait at the locks going up or down to Cropredy with the boats coming out of Cropredy marina, open another at the top and it will cause more delays and waiting.

we went there in June and had to wait for four boats going down and four more coming up.

On 06/08/2018 at 14:03, mrsmelly said:

I've never found it to be too busy round there. The next month or so it's best not to cruise much anyway and wait till Fabbo September onwards when cruising is immeasurably better innitt. There can never be too many marinas as pricing is very much linked to supply and demand and 99 percent of marina boats don't leave the marina anyway. ?

I agree. Have also learnt to stop stressing about a queue of boats, partly as I now live aboard and as a consequence no longer have demanding holiday cruising schedules. A queue now is just a chance to chatter, gongoozle/help with locks or make a drink!

• Greenie 1