Sudden smokey engine while cruising

Featured Posts

Hey all, 

Quick question, I'm currently cruising on the Thames and the Lister Engine on my 40ft narrowboat seems a little smokier than normal. 

We've been doing a fair speed all day (after resolving a dead battery issue) but now this is worrying me! 

If I lift the stern hatch the smoke seems to be coming out of the two boxes (?) with the little levers on the top of the engine. I know nothing about engines. (please see pictures) 

We added about 5 litres of normal (non red) diesel earlier to the existing red diesel just for reference as we did think we'd run out before we realised our previous issue was a battery issue. 

Is this normal? We're leaving quite the trail of smoke. 

Thanks! 

41 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No pictures.

Sorry! Pictures attached. There's nothing around the prop shaft that we can see. Checked out the weed hatch earlier. 

We have been going fairly quick all day. I've dropped the speed back a bit now and the smoke has eased off a bit. 

Screenshot_20180805-184809__01.jpg

Screenshot_20180805-184816__01.jpg

5 minutes ago, FloatyMcBoaty said:

Sorry! Pictures attached. There's nothing around the prop shaft that we can see. Checked out the weed hatch earlier. 

We have been going fairly quick all day. I've dropped the speed back a bit now and the smoke has eased off a bit. 

Screenshot_20180805-184809__01.jpg

Screenshot_20180805-184816__01.jpg

Air cooled SR2. Probably cylinder cooling fins gooed up with oily gunge and causing overheating. These engines have no fully compensating thermostat for load like a water cooled engine, the flywheel fan on the crankshaft stays at constant revs regardless of load so can easily overheat especially in this weather. Slow right down and it should stabilize/

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Air cooled SR2. Probably cylinder cooling fins gooed up with oily gunge and causing overheating. These engines have no fully compensating thermostat for load like a water cooled engine, the flywheel fan on the crankshaft stays at constant revs regardless of load so can easily overheat especially in this weather. Slow right down and it should stabilize/

Also those two hot air outlet ducts going down hill before exiting through the hull side is not good. Hot air wants to rise to escape, in that case the cooling fan is called on to also force hot air downwards to escape taking some of its cooling capacity away. Ideally those ducts need to rise up or at least be level.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

I was going to ask whether you (the OP) was going upstream or down? - Not that it makes a lot of difference (engine wise) because all the locks are 'shut in' and there's  the square root of norra lot of flow - but something's happening that's different....

Is the sump oil level rising?

Not unknown for those engines to start leaking fuel into the sump. That thins the oil, increases the friction so the engine stiffens up and so on. I would aalways keep an eye on oil level on those engines

We had smoke issuing in the engine room in this heat with our air cooled lister after a lot of idling ( at braunston rally). I listened carefully to the engine and heard a slight chuff. Re set the valves, cleaned the ducts and washed the oil filler caps in paraffin. ( there is a hole in them under the rubber flap that can block) . No haze on 2 week bcn trip. I think there was carbon under the seats, causing low compression pressure in the rocker boxes and smoke..

• Greenie 1

On 06/08/2018 at 18:34, roland elsdon said:

We had smoke issuing in the engine room in this heat with our air cooled lister after a lot of idling ( at braunston rally). I listened carefully to the engine and heard a slight chuff. Re set the valves, cleaned the ducts and washed the oil filler caps in paraffin. ( there is a hole in them under the rubber flap that can block) . No haze on 2 week bcn trip. I think there was carbon under the seats, causing low compression pressure in the rocker boxes and smoke..

Thank you all for your helpful replies. 

Are there any good resources or online videos that will give me a better idea on how to carry out the work that you've suggested above? 

1 hour ago, FloatyMcBoaty said:

Are there any good resources or online videos that will give me a better idea on how to carry out the work that you've suggested above? 

A quick bit of a clean up of the cylinder barrel fins without taking things to bits can be done like this. Mix up strong solution of washing up liquid and hot water, about a pint or so. Run engine until hot, roughly as hot as the mixture. Whilst the engine is running pour the mixture down through the flywheel air intake grill and leave the engine running for a while. All lovely bubbles will be emitted from all the gaps in the tin casing and some of the muck should get washed away from the fins.

Edited by bizzard

1 hour ago, FloatyMcBoaty said:

Valve adjustment. Take careful notice of the note below.

1.Remove the two rectangular covers with the oil fillers in them - 2 nuts each. It might be a good idea to get a pair of new gaskets first because they are very thin and fragile.

2. Turn the engine over by and until one valve is fully down.

3. Put a temporary mark on the bottom pulley and another on the engine that lines up with it.

4. Turn engine over by hand one complete turn so the marks more or less line up again.

5. Put a ring spanner on the locknut that is on the opposite end of the rocker to where the valve is.  Get the correct feeler gauge (see note below) and push it into the gap between the rocker arm and top of the valve.

6. Try to move the feeler in and out. It should feel as if you are pulling it off a magnet.

7. If it is too difficult put a screwdriver in the slot in the centre of the locknut. Loosen the locknut and use the screwdriver to loosen/tighten the screw while moving the feeler gauge.

8. When the movement feels right  tighten the locknut while stopping the screw turning.

You will almost certainly find the feeler has gone slack or is now too tight so repeat until it feels just right.

9. Double check locknut.

10. Rub off marks and start again with a different valve - you only have four to do.

NOTE- Some Listers have different push rods and all, I think, use a different setting for inlet and exhaust so make sure you can identify the type of push rod (under the adjustment) and which valves are inlets and which are exhausts - where the inlet and exhaust manifold fixes to the head gives the clue.

• Greenie 1

That air intake grill over the flywheel looks pretty mucky too, I can just see the corner of it in the pic. Also there should be an fresh air intake aperture in the starboard side of the hull side opposite the engine, is it clear of any obstructions

Edited by bizzard

For the OP. Pour the mixture into the ENGINE COOLING AIR INTAKE GRILL, the grill over the flywheel fan at the back of the engine.   Leave that Fleetguard air filter unit on the induction air intake manifold alone.

Edited by bizzard