'Vintage style' 12 volt switch panel

Featured Posts

I'm re-doing our 12v wiring. It's pretty basic stuff but the fuse panel is in the engine room and I'm trying to find something that's a bit in keeping with the traditional surroundings. (At the moment it's in a hideous domestic box). I could put it behind doors but there's not a lot of spare space.

The only thing I've seen that seems suitably 'vintage' is one at Midland Chandlers with toggle switches and glass fuses. It looks a bit cheap and mickey mouse - as do most of their modern ones too.

I don't have the soldering skills to make up my own.

Anyone got any thoughts - or done something similar in a traditional engine room?

16 minutes ago, starman said:

I'm re-doing our 12v wiring. It's pretty basic stuff but the fuse panel is in the engine room and I'm trying to find something that's a bit in keeping with the traditional surroundings. (At the moment it's in a hideous domestic box). I could put it behind doors but there's not a lot of spare space.

The only thing I've seen that seems suitably 'vintage' is one at Midland Chandlers with toggle switches and glass fuses. It looks a bit cheap and mickey mouse - as do most of their modern ones too.

I don't have the soldering skills to make up my own.

Anyone got any thoughts - or done something similar in a traditional engine room?

You don't need soldering skills as most / many switches are push on type anyway. However you will need to be able to drill and cut boards accurately. How about this as a switch panel?

https://www.marinesuperstore.com/wiring/switches/blue-sea-panel-below-deck-12v-dc-cb-6-pos?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=pcn&utm_term=99339289&utm_campaign=MSS&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlM34qujV3AIVyrTtCh0xtQodEAQYBCABEgIi-vD_BwE 

or this one -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-Way-Marine-Circuit-Breaker-Switch-Panel-Digital-Voltmeter-/162527389986

9 minutes ago, starman said:

That has possibilities...

They are very large and the switch inside is ceramic which is diabolical as it degrades in time - and the panel is 60 years old + Usable if you replace the switch with a modern toggle.

This is what I have at the moment for battery masters. I'm wondering whether I might be able to adapt it somehow. 

I think the master switches are a tad underrated and anyway the one for bow thruster battery is redundant as is the neutrals switch I believe. 

Re-site new masters and maybe I can adapt what's left?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg