Ice Breaker Tugs and Ailsa Craig Engines

Adie

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I have just discovered this forum and have noticed references to "Ice Dragon". I own "Ice Dragon"; a historic, 30ft ice breaker tug with a single cylinder, Ailsa Craig engine. I am currently rebuilding both boat and engine and would be interested to hear from anyone who has more information on either. These engines seem to be very rare; I have been aware of "Erebus" for a long time which, judging from a previous thread, seems to be in similar condition. Does anyone know how "Erebus" is progressing?image1.jpeg.583a8e6db941a835f74336ac00df139e.jpeg

Hi and welcome.

Is it an Ailsa Craig RF1 diesel? RFs  in 2 and 4cylinder versions are still about, not many in working order though. Aisle Craig Diesels have not been made since 1960 . There is/was a website run by somebody related to the firm's owners, you may find info there. As you can expect for engines that have not been built for nearly 60 years, spares are thin on the ground, or anywhere else for that matter. A lot of pairs of RFR4s were installed in Harbour Defence Launches and similar in WW2, they did not have a great reputation for reliability, owing to poor quality of wartime cast iron. I have personal experience of a 1943 built  RF2 blowing its cylinder head  off complete with the top of the block and  tops of the liners- not a pretty sight.

Bill

Having more than a passing interest in iceboats I’ve been looking for Ice Dragon for 10 years!

Do you know anything of its history?  It was owned by Alan Picken and operated as a trip boat for some years near Brecon towing a cut down BCN day boat which he called Dragons Tail.  I presume he bought it off British Waterways as most of their old iceboats passed through his hands.  Is the counter stern original or is the boat a conversion from a horse drawn iceboat?

Alan Picken died some years ago but his widow June still lives locally and she may remember something.  Of course you may already be in touch as you probably bought it off them!

as for Alisa Craig engines there is one in the Josher tug “Gorse” which broke a crankshaft a few years back and the owner got it repaired so he must know something about them!

i’ll private Message you June Picken’s email address and a possible way to contact the owner of Gorse.

Paul

Our boating friend had a boat with an FR4 installed some years ago, in Marjorie Rose if I remember well, a Dennis Cooper 70' trad. It was a big lump, very low revving, heavy. Had a habit of coking up unless you worked it hard now and again.

Piston water pump behind the flywheel, not simple to work on. He did have a spare engine as well.

I think GORSE has a spare engine as well. Probably quite a good thing to have. 

I had a look at EREBUS when it was for sale in the early 90s at VC marine in Iver (high line yachting on the slough arm of the GU). At the time it was in excellent condition nice engine and a nice Taylor's gimballed paraffin cooker in there. However as I was looking at boats to live on the modest dimensions of 28ft x 5ft8 (!!) Put me off a bit. Engine was right up the front. RF1 with hand start and I think it had elec start possibly a dynastart. 

I was told by someone else (I think it was Ernie Kendall on Poacher at Braunston) that it had a habit of dipping the sidedecks/gunnels underwater. Of course this is part of the design for an icebreaker but not ideal for a pleasure boat. I seem to remember it had a steel top which would exacerbate this problem. 

A few years after that it turned up at Willowbridge marina near Milton Keynes on the GU. Don't know what happened after that. 

Anyway I know its not the boat in the op but back on topic there was some discussion on Ailsa Craig units a few years ago on here 

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/66250-ailsa-craig/

I know its a bit blasphemous for a traditionalist but the lovely underwater shape of icebreakers makes them an ideal candidate for electric drive. 

Edited by magnetman

Hi, many thanks to you all for your responses and support.

Yes it is a diesel RF1, the photographs are from before it was stripped down; a crack had developed in the block which I have now had stitched. It looks a good job and all being well we should be okay, I’m starting to put it back together now. I only know of three RF1s so I would like to keep this one going, it is a lovely engine.

I did get Ice Dragon from June Picken about 20 years ago but didn’t keep in touch with her so many thanks for the email Paul H. It is thanks to people like the Picken family, with their enthusiasm, that so much of the canal heritage has been saved.

The counter stern is original and, for an iceboat, it is in fact quite stable. It swims like a fish, shouting “whoa” seems to work better than reverse gear! 

I know that Three Fellows Carrying, Long Eaton/Sawley, had the boat at some time, 70s/80s, probably not under the name Ice Dragon.

For the first few years my wife and I travelled hundreds of miles on it, camping with just an airbed and a Trangia stove, brilliant! We then took it out of the water when we started our family, they are now very keen to get it going again.

Paul you must tell me about your interest in iceboats!

Regards, Adie.

74ED858B-7E9F-4431-B283-81C0709845B4.jpeg

DBBF20A7-1DB6-49A2-ACEC-30DC414AC1F6.jpeg

627230C4-898A-4650-A41D-E47DD2FBB1F1.jpeg

On 05/08/2018 at 12:01, Adie said:

Hi All,

I have just discovered this forum and have noticed references to "Ice Dragon". I own "Ice Dragon"; a historic, 30ft ice breaker tug with a single cylinder, Ailsa Craig engine. I am currently rebuilding both boat and engine and would be interested to hear from anyone who has more information on either. These engines seem to be very rare; I have been aware of "Erebus" for a long time which, judging from a previous thread, seems to be in similar condition. Does anyone know how "Erebus" is progressing?image1.jpeg.583a8e6db941a835f74336ac00df139e.jpeg

Adie - You may be aware that I wrote and published two books which contain a photo and details of all known historic ex-working narrowboats (Historic Working Narrow Boats Today vols. 1 & 2).  Between them, they contain not far off a thousand boats.  You can see more about them at www.canalbookshop.co.uk/canalbookshop%20books.html . I didn't know about your ice boat - but do now!  Although a new edition of the booksis not imminent, I try to keep the electronic copy of the book up to date, ready for the day.  Might I please use your photo?  If so, please PM me with your full name, as we attribute photos to whoever took them.  Many thanks.  Peter, CanalBookShop

Hi,

thanks Peter, please do use the photograph (delighted) will pm details.

Don't worry Sam we know what you mean. I don’t use the alternator all the time so the handle and wing nut give adjustment on / off the belt. Well spotted!

You probably notice that the hand start is missing; it only had electric start when I got it. I would like to replace the hand start but don't think that I will be lucky enough to find original A C parts. Any ideas anyone?

Regards, Adie 

• 2 months later...

Hi Henry, delighted to see "Erebus" and good luck with the restoration, the ice boats are great fun. Please keep us up to date with progress, did the Ailsa Craig survive?

Just noticed the Seffle, isn't it a lovely thing? Please tell us more about it.

Imported to Willow Wren along with the big 25hp ones in 1962.

7/8 hp at 1000rpm. Rotary governor, water pump and lubricator. Grease fed mains.

Reverse box. Firework, glow plug or lamp start.

Reportedly fitted in a converted boat called 'Widecombe fair'

10 hours ago, TimYoung said:

Did somebody say Seffle?

25 minutes ago, TimYoung said:

Imported to Willow Wren along with the big 25hp ones in 1962.

7/8 hp at 1000rpm. Rotary governor, water pump and lubricator. Grease fed mains.

Reverse box. Firework, glow plug or lamp start.

Reportedly fitted in a converted boat called 'Widecombe fair'

I suggested a Seffle yesterday in another thread relating to EREBUS and a suitable engine, and I was thinking of this actual engine !

WIDDICOMBE FAIR (COUGHTON) was converted to a Seffle powered pleasure boat by Willow Wren in early 1962, and retained its butty stern. The Seffle serial number was S14BF 10164 and my records suggest it was still in this boat in March 1984, although it had been removed when I was on board a couple of months later.

The last I heard of COUGHTON was 25 August 2007 when it was reportedly hulked and sunk on the Troy Cut and awaiting restoration :captain:

Edited by pete harrison