Noisy drive shaft

fudd

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, fudd said:

Tomorrow morning I’m going to an engineer in Braunston. I’ve told him what I think the problem could be and he thinks it might be that the output shaft needs shimming. Hopefully that’s all it is. I’ll report back. Oh, I found out it’s a PRM160D not a 150. Don’t know what difference that makes though. 

Thanks everyone. 

Mine is just a plain 7 foot long 4” tubular shaft with Uj at either end

Is this a chap called Dale by any chance? Pretty competent machinist but I have to say, I'm not quite sure what 'shimming the output shaft' on a D160D means. I really rather doubt it will make any difference unless this noise has been there ever since the boat was built. A need for shims doesn't really develop out of nowhere, with age or use.  Do you have any more detail please? 

3 hours ago, fudd said:

Just a little twitch, barely noticeable at all really. Maybe I’m panicking. 

Here, I meant are you saying the gearbox moves independently of the engine? It shouldn't. 'Just a little twitch' of movement between engine and gearbox would explain EVERYTHING!

No his name is Jonathan from Braunston boat yard by the last lock before the marina. 

It’s a tapered bearing that may need shimming. It’s as if the propshaft has moved backwards slightly and there’s a bit of movement there. Might be easier to tap the propshaft back in a little bit, I dunno. I’ll wait till tomorrow and see what he says. 

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is this a chap called Dale by any chance? Pretty competent machinist but I have to say, I'm not quite sure what 'shimming the output shaft' on a D160D means. I really rather doubt it will make any difference unless this noise has been there ever since the boat was built. A need for shims doesn't really develop out of nowhere, with age or use.  Do you have any more detail please? 

Here, I meant are you saying the gearbox moves independently of the engine? It shouldn't. 'Just a little twitch' of movement between engine and gearbox would explain EVERYTHING!

I’ll ask about that too. Maybe drive plate knackered. 

2 hours ago, crossley said:

Sounds like a taper mounted bearing. Is it a thin round ring nut with 4 slots in it and a tab washer around the shaft?  If it is, then What you are seeing is the end of the adaptor sleeve. tightening the skf ring nut draws the tapered adaptor collet through the tapered bearing bore clamping the bearing onto the parallel shaft. Once the nut is backed off the bearing can be driven off the taper with a brass drift and a big hammer. They can be really tight. 

I think that’s what it is. 

Ok then., bear in mind the "drive up distance" is important on taper mount bearings. Too loose and the bearing will move on the shaft, too tight and the bearing will overheat. Measure from the end of the adaptor to the front of the nut before disturbing it. Then tighten the ring nut to the same dimension when reassembling. Try and get a "c" spanner so you don't end up butchering the nut with a chisel. 

7 minutes ago, crossley said:

Ok then., bear in mind the "drive up distance" is important on taper mount bearings. Too loose and the bearing will move on the shaft, too tight and the bearing will overheat. Measure from the end of the adaptor to the front of the nut before disturbing it. Then tighten the ring nut to the same dimension when reassembling. Try and get a "c" spanner so you don't end up butchering the nut with a chisel. 

Thanks for the advice but I won’t be doing any of that. I’ll leave it to people wot know. 

16 minutes ago, Bod said:

Don't know which is worse, you saying, or me knowing what your talking about!

Bod

I know what you mean. I used to listen with my Mum on the wireless. 

17 hours ago, fudd said:

Tomorrow morning I’m going to an engineer in Braunston. I’ve told him what I think the problem could be and he thinks it might be that the output shaft needs shimming. Hopefully that’s all it is. I’ll report back. Oh, I found out it’s a PRM160D not a 150. Don’t know what difference that makes though. 

Thanks everyone. 

Mine is just a plain 7 foot long 4” tubular shaft with Uj at either end

Has it been balanced? There would be sort of square patches of steel welded on as weights.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Yup, Music While You Work followed my Mrs D's Diary plus tea and bickies with Grandma

I think House wives choice came on first on weekdays.   Saturday mornings, Childrens choice. After Mrs Dales diary was Listen with mother.

Edited by bizzard

On 08/08/2018 at 19:30, fudd said:

No his name is Jonathan from Braunston boat yard by the last lock before the marina. 

It’s a tapered bearing that may need shimming. It’s as if the propshaft has moved backwards slightly and there’s a bit of movement there. Might be easier to tap the propshaft back in a little bit, I dunno. I’ll wait till tomorrow and see what he says. 

I’ll ask about that too. Maybe drive plate knackered. 

Just another thought Mike. If the Propshaft has got a bit of play in it from for-aft then the thrust at higher revs could try to pull the shaft out of the gear box. It doesn’t happen in reverse when the thrust is pushing it back in. 

That wouldn’t help much. 

19 hours ago, bizzard said:

Has it been balanced? There would be sort of square patches of steel welded on as weights.

I think House wives choice came on first on weekdays.   Saturday mornings, Childrens choice. After Mrs Dales diary was Listen with mother.

I can’t see anyweights in it. 

Wasnt it ‘whistle while you work’ with Billy Cotton. 

14 minutes ago, fudd said:

Just another thought Mike. If the Propshaft has got a bit of play in it from for-aft then the thrust at higher revs could try to pull the shaft out of the gear box. It doesn’t happen in reverse when the thrust is pushing it back in. 

That wouldn’t help much. 

I think you have your thrust logic back to front! Thrust on the gearbox in ahead is pushing INTO the gearbox, assuming no separate thrust bearing in front of the stern tube. 

Shoukd be no noticeable end float on the prop shaft however. This is probakly why Jonno says the tailshaft bearing needs re-shimming. I doubt it will improve the noise you describe though. That is the drive plate failing in my opinion. 

18 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think you have your thrust logic back to front! Thrust on the gearbox in ahead is pushing INTO the gearbox, assuming no separate thrust bearing in front of the stern tube. 

Shoukd be no noticeable end float on the prop shaft however. This is probakly why Jonno says the tailshaft bearing needs re-shimming. I doubt it will improve the noise you describe though. That is the drive plate failing in my opinion. 

Well that’s buggered that theory up. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

We will see! Jonno has an excellent reputation and is more likely to be right than me.  

He wasn’t in yesterday so I’m going to see if he can fit me in today. I could be stuck in worse places. Cheers. 

23 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Yup, Music While You Work followed my Mrs D's Diary plus tea and bickies with Grandma

Followed by Listen With Mother. When the presenter said “Are you sitting conformably?” I always used to shout “No!” then giggle. 

On 09/08/2018 at 12:25, bizzard said:

There are small brass plates soldered onto the shaft so I think it has been balanced. 

Update. Output shaft was shimmed and got rid of the noise. Perfect, until , Jonathan noticed the movement in the gearbox. So gearbox out. Found out that bolts had come loose and drive plate knackered. Had to hoist the engine of its mountings because of the stupid way it was fitted. Captive bolts sticking up through the mounting timbers so we couldn’t slide the rear engine mount forward which meant exhaust off and a load of other stuff witch was a right mare. Hopefully drive plate will arrive tomorrow and I can put it all back together.