Painting Silicone Sealant

Featured Posts

28 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

What paint will stick to silicone sealant?  A water-based paint simply broke into small pieces, and an oil-based undercoat sort of covered it, but very easily peeled off when I tried to paint over it with gloss.

Car plants don’t allow silicones in their paint shops and that even includes some deodorants as NOTHING sticks to silicone.  Even silicone doesn’t stick to silicone.

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

How do they stick the silicone to the pan then?

(And I thought that was PTFE anyway.)

Silicone.....or some chemical such as polysiloxanes to get technical....stick very well to things. Ever tried Sikoflex?.....but then the surface of the sealant is very inert. Yep PTFE also used as anti stick especially on pans. Even epoxy finds it hard to stick to silicone and epoxy sticks to most things. 

Its not surprising really. Silicones are crosslinked polymers and there are many polymers it is difficult to stick to...for example High density polyethylene. That's a pig to stick things to. I know. I've got a duck made of it and there's nothing stuck to him.

I could discuss surface OH groups that facilitate bonding but this Bombay Saphire is far too nice to spoil.

I've found that on externally applied silicone that it if its left alone for a good while to get weathered it loses its surface slipperyness and takes paint fairly well.

Edited by bizzard

The Fairy Liquid has certainly got to be worth a try!  Meanwhile I've bridged the silicone with a thick layer of oil-based undercoat, which stayed in place when I carefully applied the gloss.  Masking tape was a mistake, though - just pulled everything straight off.  So a steady(ish) hand was employed after that.

1 hour ago, PeterF said:

Tricky Stick (click here) is some sort of priming solvent that helps superglues stick to difficult plastics such as silicone rubber, polyethylene, I have used it successfully with these. No idea if it could be used prior to painting.

The Tricky stick info on that site says its for cyano adhesives ie cyano acrylate ...which is 'superglue' to help it stick to things that you cant normally stick to. Not a clue what it is as there is no msds sheet. It is possible that this only works for superglues so may not work for epoxies, alkyds, urethanes etc. It is likely to work for a coating if it works for an adhesive using the same chemistry but I dont know of anything that sticks to silicone well......or polyethylene for that matter.