Recommend a boat painter?

The dog lady

Featured Posts

We are thinking about a complete repaint for a boat we are in the process of buying. Can anyone recommend a good painter within reach of Crick? We have heard conflicting advice about hand painting v spray application. It's a huge investment for us so any input/advice at this stage would be very welcome.

Edited by The dog lady
spelling

From Crick I would suggest one that is fairly close and has a good reputation from the people I've spoken with is John Barnard at Debdale Wharf (  http://www.johnbarnard.biz/  ) but recommendations are always a bit qualified. I was chatting with a guy at Brownhills back in 2014 and commenting what a brilliant paint job he had on his boat which had just come out from a boat painter at Norton Canes, at the time he was very pleased with the job. In 2016 I met him again (I can't remember where) and struck up conversation again starting with,"You were the one with the brilliant paint job weren't you?", the reply I got was,"Don't talk to me about the paint job, it's been a nightmare". Apparently within 6 months spots had started breaking through the paint. Since I'd originally spoken with him in November I can only assume that the time of year wasn't very favourable for painting boats. Others I have spoken with have had nothing but praise for Norton Canes so it can be a bit hit and miss, which is not good given the cost of a repaint.

The problem you will find is that if they are any good there will undoubtedly be a long waiting list.

39 minutes ago, sarahavfc said:

Just to confirm, we weren’t painting Boats at Norton Canes in 2014. 

I made a point of not naming anyone, sorry if it seemed otherwise. When I said about it being a bit hit and miss, I meant the process not any specific painter. 10 people could have a brilliant job done (as the boat I saw at Brownhills appeared at the time) but sadly it will be the unlucky one that will make the most noise.

Hi,

Oxon Boat painters did a good job on my boat, but bear in mind most boat painters are probably very booked up. The winter months are not a good time to paint boats, check conditions in the covered dock and is it heated.

I would research 'micro blistering', horizontal surfaces do seem prone to the problem, take care with the choice of paint, avoid red - it fades badly. Craftmaster paint is excellent.

When re-painted, take care of it, don't use Fairy liquid to wash it, use a good quality car shampoo, and don't use a pressure washer to clean the surfaces.

Good luck.

L

Robert Naghi from Nottingham painted ours and did not charge a fortune.

8 hours ago, LEO said:

When re-painted, take care of it, don't use Fairy liquid to wash it, use a good quality car shampoo, and don't use a pressure washer to clean the surfaces.

L

Why not, why and why not?

23 minutes ago, Athy said:

Robert Naghi from Nottingham painted ours and did not charge a fortune.

Why not, why and why not?

Hi,

Fairey Liquid ruins the paint surface and removes the shine, car shampoo is designed for the job and some contain wax and is you have any trace of micro-blistering a pressure washer will 'blow off' the top of the blisters and leave the undercoat exposed. The best way is a large sponge and a bucket of warm water with a suitable car shampoo....

And take care using a pressure washer near the rear view camera on a car.......................

Hope that helps.

L

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, LEO said:

Hi,

Fairey Liquid ruins the paint surface and removes the shine, car shampoo is designed for the job and some contain wax and is you have any trace of micro-blistering a pressure washer will 'blow off' the top of the blisters and leave the undercoat exposed. The best way is a large sponge and a bucket of warm water with a suitable car shampoo....

And take care using a pressure washer near the rear view camera on a car.......................

Hope that helps.

L

It does indeed, thank you very much for your swift reply.

We occasionally use a hosepipe when cleaning 'Trojan' (if we're at a water tap and there is no one waiting). Does that count as a "pressure washer"?

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

It does indeed, thank you very much for your swift reply.

We occasionally use a hosepipe when cleaning 'Trojan' (if we're at a water tap and there is no one waiting). Does that count as a "pressure washer"?

I use a hosepipe to wet the paint and to rinse it off.............

It's tricky with boat paint, I have had problems with compounds dripping off trees where I moor - A large hazel tree attracts aphids which causes the problem and Lime trees also drip a sticky substance......Bird droppings are another nuisance, if sun dried they are very difficult to remove - hot water and soaking seems to be one way but it takes a while to be effective.

L

Thanks to everyone who replied. We've been quoted around £10K for a complete re-paint by two outfits - one hand paints and the other is emphatic that two-part paint and spraying is the answer. I accept we will have to wait quite a while but there is a fair degree of rust on the roof and aft deck and around some of the brasswork. We've been advised that it won't get any worse in the short term but it's unsightly and spoils the look of the boat.

I will follow up some of the recommendations on here so thanks again.

15 minutes ago, The dog lady said:

Thanks to everyone who replied. We've been quoted around £10K for a complete re-paint by two outfits - one hand paints and the other is emphatic that two-part paint and spraying is the answer. I accept we will have to wait quite a while but there is a fair degree of rust on the roof and aft deck and around some of the brasswork. We've been advised that it won't get any worse in the short term but it's unsightly and spoils the look of the boat.

I didn't pay anything like that for a 52 ft boat in 2012. I payed John Sanderson £5,200 for a complete strip back to bare metal, all fittings removed job, and numerous coats of hand brushed paint. The price even included decoration and sign writing by Dave Moore. We sold the boat two years ago but saw it again this year, the paintwork still looks excellent.

I agree that Helvetia was a very good paint job, with excellent sign writing and still looks good now. 

Any rust that is there will continue to spread and dig into your steel, being told it doesn't matter is just daft. Scrape what you can, treat it and blob some paint on , several coats if you have the time. Stopping it happening is important especially if you are waiting until next year...or beyond. 

The price seems quite within midlands, southern lines, make sure you specify exactly what you want with the repaint and don't get stung for extras ( planks, poles should be included, as should front and back lockers etc). 

Of the two I would recommend the hand paint, as you get a lot more paint on your boat and key areas like hinges, under handrails,  locker lids, channels don't always get the paint required when sprayed.

On 05/08/2018 at 20:08, The dog lady said:

£10k seems about right for a 'back to metal jobby' on  58' - 62' boat.

I've been told that an advantage of a hand painted job is that there is more depth of paint and therefore more scope for being able to rub down an area with a scratch.

• 2 weeks later...

,We had our boat painted at Aston Marina about six years ago, full repaint using Craftmaster paint, after about 15 months we noticed micro blisters appearing all over the boat. We talked to the Marina operator at that time and they asked Phil Speight to come and inspect the problem. Phil diagnosed the issue as follows, the boat had been stripped back to bare metal and then cleaned with solvents, due to the cold weather even though the boat was in a shed the solvents had not completely evaporated before the first primer coat was applied, hence trapping solvent under the paint. Once the boat was exposed to the sun all the horizontal surfaces become rather warm, this cause the solvent to expand and push through the paint causing the blisters.

Aston took full responsibility and completely  repainted the boat taking it back, as previously, to bare metal. The person who originally had made the mistake had moved on and our boat was repainted by Nigel, I have to say that even after 5 years we still receive compliments.

Mistakes happen but it is how the mistake is dealt with that matters and without question Aston dealt with it in a fashion which can only be described as excellent, even blacking the boat for free whilst it was being repainted.

I understand that Aston is now under different management and Nigel now operates as an independent boat painter at the marina. I would have no hesitation recommending him if you are looking at a quality job. Hand painted and you can still use it as a mirror.

Ken

Edited by KenK

6 hours ago, crosser said:

blisworth tunnel boats are brilliant painters...  well worth a look but they are booked up for next year..

Had our last share boat painted at Blissworth when they first took over and sold off the hire fleet. Had to have one side repainted elsewhere as it blistered within a year and they wouldn't accept any responsibility.