Boat sit wanted: mid Oct to end Nov

janetah

Featured Posts

We're having our boat painted in Solihull mid- October to the end of November (or thereabouts) and wonder if anyone would like us to look after your boat for that period.  We're early 60s, fairly experienced and careful/tidy liveaboard boaters and would, of course, pay something towards expenses etc.

We're based at Sawley Marina in NW Leicestershire and have family commitments there, so somewhere within reasonably easy reach - an hour or so by car - would be best for us.

Many thanks for any offers / suggestions. 

1 hour ago, Stewart Kirby said:

It’s the nearest Travelodge for you I think.

Yes. If the OP thinks about it, they are simply asking someone to lend their boat to a stranger to live on for six weeks.

I cannot think of a single upside for the boat owner, and plenty of downsides.  Like the paint job taking longer than six weeks and them not getting the boat back when they expected. Or worse, finding it has cruised off never to be seen again like the still-missing boat Que Sera Sera.

14 hours ago, janetah said:

We're having our boat painted in Solihull mid- October to the end of November (or thereabouts) and wonder if anyone would like us to look after your boat for that period.  We're early 60s, fairly experienced and careful/tidy liveaboard boaters and would, of course, pay something towards expenses etc.

We're based at Sawley Marina in NW Leicestershire and have family commitments there, so somewhere within reasonably easy reach - an hour or so by car - would be best for us.

Many thanks for any offers / suggestions. 

Always worth a try. Hope you get a positive response. Far too many cynics here. However, I would not let my boat be used in this way, but worth a shot.

Edited by Nightwatch

2 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

If you dont try you dont get. We had our boat ‘sat’ while we worked 7 /8 months of year in australia for 3 years. Saved us mooring fees as ‘sitter’ had a job with mooring and used boat 4 days a week. No $$ changed hands.

True, but in your case there was an upside for you. Saving on the need to take a mooring. In the OP's proposal there is no upside for the boat owner as far as I can see. If the OP can think of an upside for the boat owner they are seeking it would be a good idea to mention it in their advert. 

And I bet you already knew the person doing the boat sitting, or at least had some sort of personal connection. Or did you really place a similar advert and lend it to a random stranger?

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

1 hour ago, Nunovyrbizz said:

You may be exactly what I've been looking for. I have been worried about the security of my pride and joy because I work away quite often. She's bright and airy, has excellent 360 degree views of the neighbouring waterway. Malibu is designed for two in a traditional wooden boat style. I'm going to be out of the country during Oct & Nov so if you would like to care for my baby, please get in touch and we can discuss expenses but these would be minimal. Pic attached. 

2361182621_29e6f295ca_o.jpg

if it had a trad stern  then yes I would have done the job

Just now, Sea Dog said:

Or realists perhaps?  We do need the cynics though, because there's a lot of folk turning up in rose coloured spectacles: equilibrium restored! :D

'Xactly. I'm only trying to be helpful with my cynical realistic observations about the OP's advert and advice on how they might improve it to attract a suitable victim.

Besides, cynics always see themselves as realists, not cynics :)

Thanks for all contributions!  Cynics included, it's good to have questions asked, points made we haven't considered.

We've done house sits before, works very well and personally I'd be delighted to have sitters to look after/clean/keep our boat warm in the winter months when we're away. 

Agree with you, Roland - if don't try, you don't get.

5 hours ago, janetah said:

Thanks for all contributions!  Cynics included, it's good to have questions asked, points made we haven't considered.

We've done house sits before, works very well and personally I'd be delighted to have sitters to look after/clean/keep our boat warm in the winter months when we're away. 

Agree with you, Roland - if don't try, you don't get.

I hope you get a positive response from your request...

But we come back to if the boat is being lived in full time while being sat then what BSS does it need? What Gas testing? What are the insurance company requirements? What happens if the boat beaks down while being sat, do you want fairly unknown people tinkering with it?

14 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

But we come back to if the boat is being lived in full time while being sat then what BSS does it need? What Gas testing? What are the insurance company requirements? What happens if the boat beaks down while being sat, do you want fairly unknown people tinkering with it?

Spot on.

You are subject to all sorts of legal and commercial liabilities if something went wrong.

23 hours ago, Nunovyrbizz said:

You may be exactly what I've been looking for. I have been worried about the security of my pride and joy because I work away quite often. She's bright and airy, has excellent 360 degree views of the neighbouring waterway. Malibu is designed for two in a traditional wooden boat style. I'm going to be out of the country during Oct & Nov so if you would like to care for my baby, please get in touch and we can discuss expenses but these would be minimal. Pic attached. 

2361182621_29e6f295ca_o.jpg

Pump out or cassette?