Bluebird returns to water

Ray T

Featured Posts

That photo doesn't scale right on my tablet so I thought it was a dodgy look alike, but the link has pukka photos. An amazing restoration. Whether it should have been recovered and done at all I'm not sure, but credit where credit is due - top job.

2 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I believe the original boat was made by the Brothers Norris not to far from where I live. I wonder if their company was involved in the restoration.

I think the restoration was carried out over something approaching 17 years by the engineer/diver who located the wreck.

Just now, Lysander said:

I remember seeing Bluebird K7 on display in Hull in the 1960s and being completely awed by the scale of it. I'm not sure how I feel about the rebuild. ?

His daughter seems delighted with it.

The truly astonishing thing about this restoration is the extent of the originality. There are many places where parts could quickly, easily and cheaply made such as sheet metal work but in fact the original crumpled part has been carefully teased and beaten back to shape.

14 hours ago, Jerra said:

I think the restoration was carried out over something approaching 17 years by the engineer/diver who located the wreck.

His daughter seems delighted with it.

I heard a radio interview with them both and they were extremely happy with the recovery and rebuild. 

6 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I heard a radio interview with them both and they were extremely happy with the recovery and rebuild. 

I didn't hear that one but as it was being restored in the NE which covers our local TV news for BBC I have seen  her talking about it a lot.  I am waiting to see the pictures of it at speed on the Loch in Bute.

One local was mentioning talking to the man himself in the days before the fatal run and he was told there were  12 square inches of hull in contact with the water when at speed.

• Greenie 1

It is nice to think that the challenges of yesteryear were made by swashbuckling heroes with charm and panache, but from what I remember of what have read I understand that Donald Campbell did not fall into that category.  They should not have bothered to restore the machine.

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

It is nice to think that the challenges of yesteryear were made by swashbuckling heroes with charm and panache, but from what I remember of what have read I understand that Donald Campbell did not fall into that category.  They should not have bothered to restore the machine.

Does the character of the individual detract from the technological achievement of first building and then restoring Blue Bird?

• Greenie 2

What ever one may think of Campbell as character, I make no judgement, he was one of those brave men who wanted to push the boundaries instead of just sitting in his cave musing on his belly button. He knew the risks and was prepared to accept them.

A lady in this category to me is Ellen MacArthur.

• Greenie 4

11 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

The truly astonishing thing about this restoration is the extent of the originality. There are many places where parts could quickly, easily and cheaply made such as sheet metal work but in fact the original crumpled part has been carefully teased and beaten back to shape.

A labour of love. 

• 3 weeks later...