Baofeng VHF Radio

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Some time ago a poster was detailing his "bargain handheld VHF radio".

From memory it was about £20 and manufactured by Baofeng.

I was wondering how it behaved and any up-to-date experiences of using it ?

I have just paid a small mortgage for an Icom 'floater' following dropping my old one (non-floater) into Plymouth Harbour last week, and wondered, irrespective of the legality of the Baofeng how it performed.

Those Baofeng one are almost certain to be illegal, they cover more frequencies than marine VHF I think.

I had to buy a new Icom ICM25 at a marina on the Trent, after managing to break the aerial socket on my existing Icom ICM35, i agree they are expensive, particularly the second one!  I still need to find out if it is possible to get them repaired, then I would have two.

29 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Those Baofeng one are almost certain to be illegal, they cover more frequencies than marine VHF I think.

They are.

They do.

Which was the point I made to whoever it was that posted about them - he had however programmed it so that the TX / RX frequencies showed up as Marine channel numbers, and it would be easy enough to disable the UHF frequencies.

Its also illegal as it can TX / RX on channel 0 & 00 (Coastguard and SAR)

I now have 4 hand-helds and 3 'base' stations on marine VHF and one Aircraft TX / RX VHF 720 channel  hand-held (left over from my old flying instructor days) - you cannot have too many radios.

I used to be a 'Ham' (G3LCR) and would 'get' all over the world, then with 11metre Sideband (a bit naughty) it was fun QSL ing with CBers from Australia, to the States, Scandinavia, Europe South Africa etc etc.

I thought the Baofeng might be a good winter fun project to play around with.

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

If I read you correctly Alan, you've already replaced your vhf but if it's any help, I have a floating Standard Horizon Hx300. Legal, reasonable kit and sub £100. I got mine from Cactus Navigation iirc.

Many thanks, but yes already replaced (my other 3 handhelds are on the other boat) and we are off back to Plymouth next week.

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They are.

They do.

Which was the point I made to whoever it was that posted about them - he had however programmed it so that the TX / RX frequencies showed up as Marine channel numbers, and it would be easy enough to disable the UHF frequencies.

Its also illegal as it can TX / RX on channel 0 & 00 (Coastguard and SAR)

I now have 4 hand-helds and 3 'base' stations on marine VHF and one Aircraft TX / RX VHF 720 channel  hand-held (left over from my old flying instructor days) - you cannot have too many radios.

I used to be a 'Ham' (G3LCR) and would 'get' all over the world, then with 11metre Sideband (a bit naughty) it was fun QSL ing with CBers from Australia, to the States, Scandinavia, Europe South Africa etc etc.

I thought the Baofeng might be a good winter fun project to play around with.

G3LCR !!! 

Either it's a re-issued callsign or you're a "very" Old Timer.  dah-di-dah. 

Mike, G4LTI.  

Edited by Aguila
Typo.

I got my licence in 1979 at the age of 36, but had a G8 before that. Also held a ZD8 at one time and still have an EA7 call. 

Baofeng UV5R's are a cracking little radio and are a doddle to re-program. Same with Baofeng UV82's but they're a bit bigger / heavier / more robust. 

19 minutes ago, Aguila said:

I got my licence in 1979 at the age of 36, but had a G8 before that. Also held a ZD8 at one time and still have an EA7 call. 

Baofeng UV5R's are a cracking little radio and are a doddle to re-program. Same with Baofeng UV82's but they're a bit bigger / heavier / more robust. 

The 82s looks good, but I was also looking at the 8watt version 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153088523089?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Mid / Late 70s I went rogue and went onto 11mts with a 'highly modified Multimode' with 5khz spacings & 26Mhz "Super-Low" added.

I was mobile with a mag-mount 6 foot base loaded whip and a 400w Zetagi amplifier. Still got all my QSL cards.

Ahhhh - the good old days.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Some time ago a poster was detailing his "bargain handheld VHF radio".

From memory it was about £20 and manufactured by Baofeng.

I was wondering how it behaved and any up-to-date experiences of using it ?

I have just paid a small mortgage for an Icom 'floater' following dropping my old one (non-floater) into Plymouth Harbour last week, and wondered, irrespective of the legality of the Baofeng how it performed.

They are very well made at any price. I replaced the aerial and it works even better. As you point out Coastguard channel and 2m Amateur band. What's not to like at £21 or less.