Elsan facilities at Peels wharf closed

colmac

Featured Posts

As above, just tried to empty the loo at the place near Peels wharf at Fazely junction only to be told they are no longer open. This means there are no loo facilities between Fradley and Atherstone. Not a huge drama but I don't remember seeing anything about this, does anyone know when this was actioned?

45 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

I was enquiring as to whether the water point at the former Peel's Wharf services was still extant.

Yes it is still there as I watched someone use it a couple of weeks ago, don’t know if you are supposed to though. As mentioned there is one on the towpath side opposite, and one outside Fazeley Mill Marina if you are going that way.  As to elsan, you aresupposed to be able to use the marina one, but as I heading to Atherstone I did not bother.

Don’t forget there are full services about half a mile before Atherstone bottom lock as well, you don’t have to wait until the ones at the top of the locks.

As for the water point, we wanted to use it yesterday and were told by a bloke ( not CRT ) that the water tap was broken, he then told us we couldn't use it anyway. The one across the other side is still in use though.

2 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

We used the water point there the other week, no one said anything whilst we did so.

Me too. I didn't realise it was closed until I saw the laminated A4 notice tied to a nearby fence stating the fact; by then I had filled up.

6 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

The run up to the marina is hardly taxing, and the facilities are first class. Maybe adds 20 mins to your journey if you divert from the Coventry.

And very friendly they are too. 

Full notifications were given by C&RT on their stoppage alerts.

From memory it was last year.

Fazeley Mill marina has the poshest elsan on the system, a water point outside and a winding hole too, so not too arduous a task to visit.

Their diesel is only 73p as well.

Rog

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, dogless said:

Full notifications were given by C&RT on their stoppage alerts.

From memory it was last year.

Fazeley Mill marina has the poshest elsan on the system, a water point outside and a winding hole too, so not too arduous a task to visit.

Their diesel is only 73p as well.

Rog

The deisel alone is a good reason to visit!

Used the water point a few months ago. Chap (builder, not Cart), had no issues with us using point. Not sure what the long term plans for the tap are? Perhaps the new owners have other ideas to cart? Guess it depends on where the water meter is!

27 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

The run up to the marina is hardly taxing, and the facilities are first class. Maybe adds 20 mins to your journey if you divert from the Coventry.

But apart from the water point, only available during business hours and no recycling bins that I could find.

18 minutes ago, dogless said:

It's available 24hrs, and a skip right next to it.

Out of hours you have to pop over the gate, as understandably the gate is locked.

But again, it's not too onerous a task if you need it.

Rog

If they are saying that it is available out out hours, what is to stop you taking the boat in?

The CRT notice says the following, so I was assuming that was the case

These facilities will be available for 7 days a week between the hours of 9 and 5.

I asked at the marina if the facilities could be used 24hrs and was told yes.

The elsan, and skip are easily accessible by taking the boat into the entranceway, causing no disturbance to moorers.

Alternatively it's possible to stop on the water point outside and hop over the gate.

Rog

3 minutes ago, dogless said:

I asked at the marina if the facilities could be used 24hrs and was told yes.

The elsan, and skip are easily accessible by taking the boat into the entranceway, causing no disturbance to moorers.

Alternatively it's possible to stop on the water point outside and hop over the gate.

Rog

Good to know.  I know where they are as we had a short term mooring there a few years ago.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Also use to sell diesel at a reasonable price, don't know if that is still the case as I am not in the area now

Last time we were there was April and still reasonable price. 

22 hours ago, colmac said:

As above, just tried to empty the loo at the place near Peels wharf at Fazely junction only to be told they are no longer open. This means there are no loo facilities between Fradley and Atherstone. Not a huge drama but I don't remember seeing anything about this, does anyone know when this was actioned?

Not forgetting that if you are coming down the T & M onto the Coventry, the facilities (elsan) at Fradley are a trek further down the T & M.

George

• 1 month later...

We were moored opposite Peels Wharf for a few days this week and there must have been 10 to 15 boats a day trying to use the facilities there and being sent away by the staff there (Manstal Limited) who were telling them to go to Fazeley Mill Marina but not telling them there was a water point near the junction. Some official signage really is needed.

I was under the impression that the water point was going to remain but when I queried this with C&RT I received this reply.

Thank you for your enquiry for clarification on the situation at Fazeley.  The notice you forwarded has since been removed from our website and the below one is in its place advising of the replacement facilities location.  There is another waterpoint opposite the old office [They mean near the junction] and we will ask the local team to try and make some better signage to give to the owners of the Fazeley location to display.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/11858/fazeley-mill-marina-

We hope this clarifies the situation.

6 minutes ago, Wiltshire Moonraker said:

We were moored opposite Peels Wharf for a few days this week and there must have been 10 to 15 boats a day trying to use the facilities there and being sent away by the staff there (Manstal Limited) who were telling them to go to Fazeley Mill Marina but not telling them there was a water point near the junction. Some official signage really is needed.

I was under the impression that the water point was going to remain but when I queried this with C&RT I received this reply.

We've just moved from opposite the old offices. I emailed the Trust to suggest they put a large sign on the railings simply saying 'Services Closed' otherwise you cannot read the printed notices until you actually moor. I hot a reply similar to yours. 

Talking to the house owner directly opposite the old offices who said the owner of the company who have bought the offices, not necessarily Manstal as they may only be renting, was a right bastard who owns a lot of property in the area. So don't expect the water point be come back into use too soon. 

The boat moored behind us, Wrens Nest, said he actually used the tap at the weekend evening and the water has not been cut off. But some boaters who pulled up during the day were told politely but firmly by the builders that it is out of use. 

I can understand that hire and share boaters might be unaware of the closure but shouldn't all private now owners know?