Remote control / fly by wire - I know it can be done!

jimxtc

Featured Posts

Both the narrow boats owned by the Griffin brothers who own Wyvern Shipping have both conventional tiller steering at the rear, and wheel steering from the front cabin.  These are the much travelled Ocean Princess and Avonturier. 

It's always amusing to pass either in one of the Grand Union tunnels with no cabin lights on.  I think many would conclude a steerer may have fallen off the back! 

2 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

There are any number of inspection launches on canal with both wheel forward and tiller rear steer. As oddities you may well benefit as demand is probably low. I think some are hydraulic , i saw one last week with a ram going to the rudder.

in the 80s we towed our butty up the grand union with a 10 ft beam wheel steer wide beam on one trip. That was interesting .

with your description of macular degeneration i suspect going into locks would be far easier steering from the front than the rear, as the blind spots would interfere less. Of course i am making a huge supposition as only you are aware of your own eyesight.

the downsight of wheel steer is lack of feel through the tiller, but given practice im sure you will master the art.

a quick google search of wheel steer hire boats brought up lee valley narrowboats who it appears can rent out a forward steer hire boat by the day. Maybe a quick hire might be an investment. 

Good luck

The push-pull cable system I described definitely had a degree of feedback. I am far from sure hydraulic would and the friction in endless cable/chain & pulley system probably damps any feedback.

My last boat was fly by wire from new but reto fitting the control systems would be eye wateringly expensive, especially if not already fitted with hydraulic steering. Just a suggestion but have you considered a front camera and a large daylight viewable screen? that is used on large ships and very effective, also a cheaper and transferable solution.

Edited by NMEA

On 04/08/2018 at 00:59, howardang said:

Yes there is but a) if the control position is in the front cockpit you would have to stick your head over one side to look back while for the other side it would be more difficult and b) if the control position is inside the boat you woul have to stick your head out of a window, otherwise you won't have any visibility astern. I would think that most boats wouldn't have an opening window big enough so yet more cost.

There are many vessels that steer from near the bow, big and not so big - Bizzard  has posted a photo of what looks like a Laker for example- but they have all been designed properly to allow them to be able to do it safely.  This idea on a narrow boat ha.s the potential for being much more trouble than its worth.

Howard

10 years living in a forward drive cruiser and had no trouble because I did the sensible thing and fitted mirrors .

And as for Macular Degeneration, Chris has had this condition for over 20 years so I understand and someone mentioned peripheral vision, well given that MD gives you a black hole in the centre of your vision, the peripheral remains good. I know another boater who has the condition much worse than Chris and he too manages very well 

Phil 

I am currently on the Stratford canal on a 54’ boat with rear steering, I have tuned the boat in a winding hole, entered a lock on my own and operated all the Hatton flight of locks, I have proved to myself that I can handle a boat and most things single handed I believe apart from seeing the front of the boat from the back!  A smaller boat (maybe 30’) with centre steering just passed us, may be a Sea Otter?  I think I could handle one of those.  I mean, you travel at walking pace - what could possibly go wrong?!

1 hour ago, jimxtc said:

I am currently on the Stratford canal on a 54’ boat with rear steering, I have tuned the boat in a winding hole, entered a lock on my own and operated all the Hatton flight of locks, I have proved to myself that I can handle a boat and most things single handed I believe apart from seeing the front of the boat from the back!  A smaller boat (maybe 30’) with centre steering just passed us, may be a Sea Otter?  I think I could handle one of those.  I mean, you travel at walking pace - what could possibly go wrong?!

Go for it, don't let MD rule your life. You know your limitations and strengths so just work with them and I'm sure you will be fine. 

Phil 

Once you have your system sorted can you also get a sign made to go on the roof to explain what's happening to other boaters!  I passed a shortlist narrow last year and went to say 'hello' to the steerer. But there was no-one on the back deck. Gulp! Thinking back all I could recall was the couple sitting in comfy armchairs on the front deck under the cratch. V civilised!

You can get a tiller pilot for a yacht which is part of an autopilot system . Somewhat over the top  as you would not need the full GPS autopilot capability  on a canal . Try brands such as Raymarine or Simrad . The steering would be via a small rotary control. Not sure this would be any good with your limited vision. also not sure the tiller pilot movement would be sufficient for a  narrow boat. But it is an  principle that came to mind.

Similarly electronic throttles are available for motorboats . The throttle is electric and operates an actuator near the engine which in turn controls a cable for the last couple of metres to the engine. A twin station set up is possible with switch over at the press of a button. 

https://shop.tnorrismarine.co.uk/pages/teleflex-seastar-ke4-electronic-control-system

None of this is cheap.

Have you considered a smaller boat with a centre cockpit?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 16:29, Phil Ambrose said:

Go for it, don't let MD rule your life. You know your limitations and strengths so just work with them and I'm sure you will be fine. 

Phil 

Thank you for your support Phil.  I don't let MD rule my life, I have had it for two thirds of my life and have to find solutions to many problems, you just have to think laterally sometimes!  I completed the Birmingham mini ring from Warwick, I did 63 miles and 91 locks without incident.  I don't profess to be any kind of expert and I know there is a lot to learn but I an sure I can do it - what could possibly go wrong??!!  Haha

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 16:44, Opener said:

Once you have your system sorted can you also get a sign made to go on the roof to explain what's happening to other boaters!  I passed a shortlist narrow last year and went to say 'hello' to the steerer. But there was no-one on the back deck. Gulp! Thinking back all I could recall was the couple sitting in comfy armchairs on the front deck under the cratch. V civilised!

I was actually thinking that I would have a sign made up to go on the roof at the front saying something like 'caution visually impaired skipper' and hope it doesn't scare anyone!

10 minutes ago, jimxtc said:

I was actually thinking that I would have a sign made up to go on the roof at the front saying something like 'caution visually impaired skipper' and hope it doesn't scare anyone!

I think that may be taken as a joke - much like some of the car 'bumper stickers' you see.

On a serious note, in the event of an accident (your fault or not) it could be almost taken as an admission of liability - much like the signs that people have saying (something like) "Dangerous Pug Dog Lives Here" and they get bitten. You have acknowledged responsibility in advance.

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think that may be taken as a joke - much like some of the car 'bumper stickers' you see.

On a serious note, in the event of an accident (your fault or not) it could be almost taken as an admission of liability - much like the signs that people have saying (something like) "Dangerous Pug Dog Lives Here" and they get bitten. You have acknowledged responsibility in advance.

I do see your point Alan but think it only fair to inform people like the guy who would not share a lock with me, at least he would know.  How about I strap my white cane to the front of the boat?  Only joking!

On ‎07‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 09:51, NMEA said:

... have you considered a front camera and a large daylight viewable screen?

Given how well you got on recently, then if you need any additional help this might be the best solution.  Simple and probably relatively cheap.

3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Given how well you got on recently, then if you need any additional help this might be the best solution.  Simple and probably relatively cheap.

Nice thoughts everybody but you need to understand the constraints that effect the vision of somebody suffering fron Macular Degeneration. 

Phil