Assistance required!

rawsondsr

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, rawsondsr said:

Had to haul it half a mile just to Moor up, all I have is cheap garden pruning shears, won't touch the mattress fabric, let alone the wires, guess I'd better stump up a load of cash for rcr

No immediate help, but if you carry the 'right equipment' it seems you rarely need to use it.

I have carried a small diving kit for many years and so far (touches wood) since carrying it, have not had a fouled prop.

IMG_20160924_101301.jpg

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I.K.Brunel is buried in the cemetary at whatsaname on the Padding Arm. He's sure to come up with a solution if you give him a knock.

Kensal-Green-Cemetery-Kensal-Green-Londo

Just hope you don't get the barrister

Richard

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rawsondsr said:

Garden shears as that's what was on the boat, a d I doubt a knife is going to get through a mattress! 

Gonna walk to a DIY shop and see what I can do

The bread knife is to cut through fabric before using the cutters

1 minute ago, nbfiresprite said:

The bread knife is to cut through fabric before using the cutters

We have a steak knife for that job. It was found in the cut, so it seems appropriate

Richard

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

For bolt croppers you really need to get in the water with the mattress and prop as they are very difficult to use through a weed hatch

Depends on the size of the weed hatch, I have a large one, yours must be a small one. I had to cut off two mattress, both on the BCN. All done through the weed hatch. It was winter after all. 

23 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I find cable cutters are good down a weed hatch upto a few mm of wire, but springs are very hard and can be difficult.  Something like these 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-vise-grip-cable-cutters-8/61667#_=p

Now I wonder if I can get something else into the tool box 

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

For bolt croppers you really need to get in the water with the mattress and prop as they are very difficult to use through a weed hatch

I bought a smallish cheap pair from Wilko which work well through the weedhatch and have proved surprisingly effective given their size and price.

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

I.K.Brunel is buried in the cemetary at whatsaname on the Padding Arm. He's sure to come up with a solution if you give him a knock.

……. and just across the path from him and down a bit is the grave of The Great Blondin, who used to walk very high tightropes (not only across Niagara Falls) and never even used so much as a mattress under …….. Wait a minute!!!!

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, RLWP said:

hqdefault.jpg

Indeed,  Roger Waters one in Hyde Park was far more mobile until savaged by blades (authorised and risk assessed and wielded by trained stewards in hi vis) to make sure it was out of the way before the finale. 

11 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

I find cable cutters are good down a weed hatch upto a few mm of wire, but springs are very hard and can be difficult.  Something like these 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-vise-grip-cable-cutters-8/61667#_=p

Those cutters are for electrical cables, with copper cores, and will not cut steel wire. 

Try compound side cutter/ end cutters. 

Much more powerful. 

Bod

15 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

If you picked it up on CRT waters they are duty bound to help I believe.

But Paddington Arm, sharp intake of breath through teeth.

Really?? That seems very unfair on CRT because you can be pretty sure it wasn't them that threw the mattress in the cut.

After 5 hours in the water, i've got it off, covered in cuts and scratches now as well, all i need to do now is remove it from the water to prevent anyone else getting fouled up - a passing boater said 'just leave it, let it be someone else's problem', err, no, im getting it out - up a nearly meter high bank, one way or another!

Edited by rawsondsr
  • Greenie 3