Boat For London Liveaboard £18,000

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

I have no connection with the boat or seller, but just thought it may be of interest (and better than a 'shed') it would no doubt fit the ambiance of the City.

34 foot long

Beam 11' 6"

Traditional Bukh 29 Diesel Engine

Ready for conversion to liveaboard - rated for 90 people.

Ideal project for those with time on their hands.

There is one just arrived in our Marina in Hull - UGLY, UGLY beast - would sit well in London

https://www.findafishingboat.com/totally-enclosed-lifeboats/ad-94665

cddab180-19dc-4dbd-a75c-1ea1d030c292_large2000.jpg

36 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have no connection with the boat or seller, but just thought it may be of interest (and better than a 'shed') it would no doubt fit the ambiance of the City.

34 foot long

Beam 11' 6"

There is one just arrived in our Marina in Hull - UGLY, UGLY beast - would sit well in London

I have one of them moored just up from me HERE, but this one is shorter, good for 54 people according to the writing on it. You're right,, they are BREATHTAKINGLY ugly. And so BIG, when moored next to a narrow boat.

Must be loadsa room inside though. But if I had one to live on, I think I'd paint it green, or even better, camouflage. In camo it would fade into the background... almost! 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

34 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

34 foot long

Beam 11' 6"

Good investment. Stick it in London and it'll be worth 150k by the bank holiday weekend.

And will be way bigger than any new build!

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I have one of them moored just up from me HERE, but this one is shorter, good for 54 people according to the writing on it. You're right,, they are BREATHTAKINGLY ugly. And so BIG, when moored next to a narrow boat.

We moored up in Lowestoft Marina for a few days last Summer - they make and test these lifeboats there - it was interesting watching them being dropped off / slid off the gantry.

It's a TESC from the Buchan field -- I will have been in it (or one of its mates), in North Sea block 21-1A many years ago during a drill. 

The 90 people rating refers to everyone sitting like sardines on two (maybe three) levels all the way around. Just the job for London, and nearly as packed as the Tube.

5 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

The 90 people rating refers to everyone sitting like sardines on two (maybe three) levels all the way around. Just the job for London, and nearly as packed as the Tube.

Give 'em a bit more space and say a capacity of 50.

Air BnB at (say) £15 a night = £750 a night

Some of these Japanese 'micro-hotels don't have much space

(More room in a mortuary freezer)

Image result for japanese micro hotel

• Greenie 1

There are other designs of oil rig lifeboat more suited to canals than this one. And he sells them for under 8k usually. 

I remember about 5 or 6 years ago, lifeboats were going for 2000-3000 pounds(sometimes less). 

I quite like them. Stay on the canal system for a while, then out to sea if you want. 

7 minutes ago, Canal321 said:

I quite like them. Stay on the canal system for a while, then out to sea if you want. 

Oh I don't know, I rather think that once they're occupied by folk who clearly have neither taste in boats nor love of the Inland Waterways, they should be towed straight out to where they're designed to be at their best - somewhere where the oceans are perilous and a long way from rescue. 

• Horror 1

Hmm. Interesting...

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I rather think that once they're occupied by folk who clearly have neither taste in boats nor love of the Inland Waterways

Lol just lifeboat owners? Maybe not

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Canal321 said:

I remember about 5 or 6 years ago, lifeboats were going for 2000-3000 pounds(sometimes less). 

Which isn't a bad price for a beta marine engine & sterngear that has had an almost religious maintenance schedule, and less than 50 hours running on it.

You get a free boat with it too :D

40 minutes ago, David Mack said:

There's already quite a few of the orange monsters in London.

And much of the way up the Southern Grand Union.

They clearly come in quite a range of sizes, some even more unsuitable for canal use than others!

6 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

And much of the way up the Southern Grand Union.

They clearly come in quite a range of sizes, some even more unsuitable for canal use than others!

I think you are right.  People would be better off with a 60' x 12' widebeam instead. :icecream:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Imagine having a view onto the canal and that hideous monster mooring opposite.