Flexible solar panels

leeco

Featured Posts

Can’t answer that but be aware that they have two issues - they’re less efficient because being attached to the hot roof they have no airflow below them, and they promote rust below them if they’re not completely sealed. 

Bumped into (not literally) some friends who have just had a semi-flexible panel from Photonic Universe installed. They used strips of sikaflex running cross-wise so water wouldn’t be entrained and so there would be some air gap for cooling. They seemed very pleased with it.

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Bumped into (not literally) some friends who have just had a semi-flexible panel from Photonic Universe installed. They used strips of sikaflex running cross-wise so water wouldn’t be entrained and so there would be some air gap for cooling. They seemed very pleased with it.

Works well on a boat.  The campervan might go a touch faster though. 

I have almost the same panel on the roof of my boat (mines the older 140w version), held down with sikaflex

I fully expect to have rust under the panel when I remove it to repaint the roof (so far there is no trace of rust coming out where water drains from underneath it)

I deliberately did not fix down the very edge of the panel so that when the time comes to remove it I can (hopefully) slide some stainless wire in the gap and use it like a cheese wire to remove the panel from the roof without destroying the panel.

14 hours ago, WotEver said:

Can’t answer that but be aware that they have two issues - they’re less efficient because being attached to the hot roof they have no airflow below them, and they promote rust below them if they’re not completely sealed. 

Even when they are sealed.

13 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Works well on a boat.  The campervan might go a touch faster though. 

Thinking about it, a very good seal on the leading edge should be sufficient to stop it flapping in normal driving.  I assume you won't be reversing at 70 mph :D

The rest of it can be stuck down as described earlier.

20 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Thinking about it, a very good seal on the leading edge should be sufficient to stop it flapping in normal driving.  I assume you won't be reversing at 70 mph :D

The rest of it can be stuck down as described earlier.

But, but... How do you get the seal on the bloody roof. 

blakeneyseal1.jpg

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

But, but... How do you get the seal on the bloody roof. 

Use outdoor grade double sided tape to stick a pair of kippers up by the centreline fixing. Never fails.

(I believe it's seals it works for, but thinking about it it could just be seagulls) 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Nah - you are thinking about throwing bread onto your neighbours (boat / caravan) roof

Oh, how many happy hours has that brought? When they're inconsiderate noisy gits late at night and then have no idea why the seagulls, pigeons or crows have picked on then so early in a morning when they've had a late night at everyone else's expense - priceless!  :D

1 hour ago, Boredrider said:

Stixall, roughly one tube under each panel.  Four years, and they're still there!

The roof's gone - rusted like a collander - but the panels are fine. ;)

One thing I’ve noticed is on my boat I have all the best equipment outback controller sterling inverter and on this camper it’s all the cheap gear and you can see the difference.

my motto is buy cheap buy twice 

4 hours ago, leeco said:

One thing I’ve noticed is on my boat I have all the best equipment outback controller sterling inverter and on this camper it’s all the cheap gear and you can see the difference.

You can’t use the phrase “Best equipment” & “Sterling” together......

6 hours ago, leeco said:

Mmmmm, I'd agree with the outback bit!