Wigrams turn marina

Featured Posts

Great photo Rusty. What f stop setting did you use and what was the depth of field? Also what was the focal length of the lens and the asa? Had the eagle eaten all the starlings? Did the electrical post get in the way? 

Edited by Dr Bob
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

Great photo Rusty. What f stop setting did you use and what was the depth of field? Also what was the focal length of the lens and the asa? Had the eagle eaten all the starlings? Did the electrical post get in the way? 

Please. 

f stop = 1.8

Fl=6.8

Wb=9

Lens=Goodman 

Please f stop:)

• Haha 1

On 03/08/2018 at 17:17, Rob VP said:

As a marina that isn't officially residential I think it is only a matter of time before they start to attract negative attention from the locals.   They used to discreetly turn a blind eye to liveaboards, now they are very open about accepting liveaboards. In my opinion, the type of people it seems to attract will not help.  The amount of people there that actually use their boats for anything other than living on is low, and it has a strange caravan park/council estate vibe to it.

You what?

Exactly what do you think liveaboard boaters are going to do to attract negative attention from the locals?

I've never encountered any negativity from the locals in Napton. You wouldn't be projecting your own prejudices, would you? What on Earth do you mean by: "...the type of people it seems to attract..."?!!

It has a caravan park/council estate vibe, does it? Well, I've lived on both types of places. Where are you from? Windsor bloody Castle?

• Greenie 2

14 minutes ago, Kernunnos said:

You what?

Exactly what do you think liveaboard boaters are going to do to attract negative attention from the locals?

I've never encountered any negativity from the locals in Napton. You wouldn't be projecting your own prejudices, would you? What on Earth do you mean by: "...the type of people it seems to attract..."?!!

It has a caravan park/council estate vibe, does it? Well, I've lived on both types of places. Where are you from? Windsor bloody Castle?

Feeding Trolls is to be discouraged.

Just had a chat with the owner of a boat we have seen many times and liked. He moors at wigrams and enjoys it. He mentioned his costs though and said he pays a residential surcharge.  Maybe they now have some official ones, though knowing the policy of stratford council to residential mooring i would be surprised

3 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Just had a chat with the owner of a boat we have seen many times and liked. He moors at wigrams and enjoys it. He mentioned his costs though and said he pays a residential surcharge.  Maybe they now have some official ones, though knowing the policy of stratford council to residential mooring i would be surprised

Yes, you do pay more if you are are residential but I think it is only £200-300/year. Havent a clue how the residential status is dealt with by the council for council tax etc.

3 minutes ago, Rob VP said:

They don't have any residential moorings, just 'High Usage' leisure moorings.   The fact that even the moorers think they are residential demonstrates the problem.

S sorry Rob, I'm confused. You refer to a problem. What problem?

3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Nah! Not a problem. Been going on for years and years and years. If the boat leaves the marina a couple of times a year, they are not living in the marina full time. It bothers no one, only nosey interfering trouble stirring people. 

My point is that in previous years there were a lot less people and they were more discreet.  Now it is pretty much full and half of the residents don't even realise that they aren't officially residential.  It will attract the attention of nosey interfering people from the village. They object to all local planning applications for new houses, so I can't see them approving of a pop up shanty town.

8 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Nah! Not a problem. Been going on for years and years and years. If the boat leaves the marina a couple of times a year, they are not living in the marina full time. It bothers no one, only nosey interfering trouble stirring people. 

So if I go away from my house for a couple of times a year I won't have to pay council tax!   Yipeee.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Rob VP said:

They don't have any residential moorings, just 'High Usage' leisure moorings.   The fact that even the moorers think they are residential demonstrates the problem.

What a load of rubbish! Where do you get this from? Of course they have residential moorings.

Here is a clause from our mooring agreement.

Where appropriate, the Company reserves the
right to transfer the Vessel’s mooring to a
different Grade, including a residential
mooring grade and to charge the Owner the
difference in mooring fees at any point during
the Contract or upon renewal of the contract if
it considers that the Owner is using the Marina
for residential purposes.

There are many other clauses about residential use and reclaiming council tax as well.
Edited by Dr Bob

Hang on its not a shanty town. While i was one of those resident in the village when it was planned , that was never part of the objection. They were on safety and environmental grounds. Some of the housing going on locally is far more detremental than a few lived on boats, who pay quite a big fee, and who if they become too messy can be asked to move on.

seen the slum outside braunston on the tank road recently? Scrap cars scrap boats scrap metal...

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

What a load of rubbish! Where do you get this from? Of course they have residential moorings.

Here is a clause from our mooring agreement.

Where appropriate, the Company reserves the
right to transfer the Vessel’s mooring to a
different Grade, including a residential
mooring grade and to charge the Owner the
difference in mooring fees at any point during
the Contract or upon renewal of the contract if
it considers that the Owner is using the Marina
for residential purposes.

There are many other clauses about residential use and reclaiming council tax as well.

The only residential berths they have are for staff. I suggest you get your facts straight before attempting to rubish me.  Planning records are public...

one marina i was in the council asked for Band A council tax (£1000) for 8 boats this was "divided" to £50 a live aboard boat as the share. Residential is only for boats in marina for the full calendar year .Live aboard is supposedly no more than 10 months in marina yet some councils are happy if they go out for only one month

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Once again, rubbish! See my post above. I have a written contract. Methinks you are stirring. End of conversation.

And you think that trumps planning law?  Me thinks you are an ignoramus.  Stop being so arrogant and look up their planning applications if you don't believe me.

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

Yes we had the we dont want you kind of people once when moored at newbury outside a new shanty house. 

Dr S asked them what kind of people they wanted . I asked what she had against mortgage free home owners , who worked as nhs consultants..

then we lit the cabin range

Do you fail to understand you are only considered a worthy person and to be " doing well " if you have a large debt ( mortgage ) round your neck until the day before you die?

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

Yes we had the we dont want you kind of people once when moored at newbury outside a new shanty house. 

Dr S asked them what kind of people they wanted . I asked what she had against mortgage free home owners , who worked as nhs consultants..

then we lit the cabin range

I hope you ran your engine too.

(But only until 8pm of course!)