Central heating system fill up ?

Featured Posts

I have had to move a radiator in my pals boat, to accomodate a new cupboard, and had to drain the system to do it.

Now I need to refill it. Its a gas powered Alde boiler with 4 radiators.

All plumbed with plastic 22mm pipes and standard domestic metal radiators.

Ooops......its the heat

What do I refill it with ?

It clearly had some type of chemical as when I got it on my hands it was a slightly sticky feel maybe water/glycol mix, but completely clear fluid, very clean system to be fair very little evidence of corrosion just a little brown staining inside pipes.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Put the stuff you drained out back in.  You saved it rather than chuck it in the canal didn't you? ;)

That advice is suspect if the antifreeze is more than two tears old. What came out might be five or 10 year antifreeze but who knows. If it was last drained and refilled more than two years ago its best to refill with new. The antifreeze part will be fine but the corrosion inhibitors may be used up and if its an upright Alde you don’t want that with a steel heat exchanger.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

That advice is suspect if the antifreeze is more than two tears old. What came out might be five or 10 year antifreeze but who knows. If it was last drained and refilled more than two years ago its best to refill with new. The antifreeze part will be fine but the corrosion inhibitors may be used up and if its an upright Alde you don’t want that with a steel heat exchanger.

Or just add extra inhibitor.