Interesting Error Message

Featured Posts

Just now, Athy said:

I interpret that as meaning, "since the rules are interpreted in a tolerant and liberal way". The forum's stance on threads which treat on politics has been mentioned several times in the last few months.

This is nonsense Mike.

If we applied rules that can be 'liberally interpreted' to the roads what would happen then?

You either have a rule set out in black and white, which the forum has or you make it clear that political subjects are allowed as long as the debate is kept to a civil discussion. 

I struggle to understand why a simple paragraph in the forum guidelines cannot be amended if the latter is the case.

From the forum rules

"Posting any material, anywhere on the site, that is deemed to have a primarily political theme that is not strictly related to inland waterways and/or boating is prohibited. In addition, content containing a religious theme, or content that makes commentary on religious issues, is not permitted."

That's an unequivocal statement - there is no way you can interpret it in a "tolerant and liberal way".

For crying out loud just change it to something like "any political or religious themed threads will be closely monitored by the moderating team"

4 hours ago, MJG said:

Sorry Martin, no idea where the quote box came from and can't seem to delete it.

1 minute ago, Ange said:

From the forum rules

"Posting any material, anywhere on the site, that is deemed to have a primarily political theme that is not strictly related to inland waterways and/or boating is prohibited. In addition, content containing a religious theme, or content that makes commentary on religious issues, is not permitted."

That's an unequivocal statement - there is no way you can interpret it in a "tolerant and liberal way".

For crying out loud just change it to something like "any political or religious themed threads will be closely monitored by the moderating team"

Sorry Martin, no idea where the quote box came from and can't seem to delete it.

It's simple isn't it?

I really don't understand the problem. 

28 minutes ago, Ange said:

The problem then is that what do you actually expect the moderating team to do? Well for one, remove illegal material such as stuff inciting hatred on grounds of race etc. That is easy. But what about the stuff that doesn't agree with your political views? A recipe for disastrous disagreements about what is the one true and pure path, and what is everything else (the rather distasteful bits). I don't think you have quite grasped that different people have different views and each and every one of them is just as entitled to them as you are to yours, and to express them, provided they remain within the law.

I for one would be quite happy if political threads were disallowed as per the FR&G. I generally don't bother to read them because the various participants have entrenched views and no amount of debate will change anything, making the whole thing a waste of time and a source of friction. People don't actually properly read what other people have written, before launching off in some (probably virtue signalling) rant in supposed response.

What I do struggle with is people who seem very keen to read them all whilst at the same time banging on about how awful they are and how they should be deleted. It just isn't logical or reasonable.

29 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

The problem then is that what do you actually expect the moderating team to do? Well for one, remove illegal material such as stuff inciting hatred on grounds of race etc. That is easy. But what about the stuff that doesn't agree with your political views? A recipe for disastrous disagreements about what is the one true and pure path, and what is everything else (the rather distasteful bits). I don't think you have quite grasped that different people have different views and each and every one of them is just as entitled to them as you are to yours, and to express them, provided they remain within the law.

I for one would be quite happy if political threads were disallowed as per the FR&G. I generally don't bother to read them because the various participants have entrenched views and no amount of debate will change anything, making the whole thing a waste of time and a source of friction. People don't actually properly read what other people have written, before launching off in some (probably virtue signalling) rant in supposed response.

What I do struggle with is people who seem very keen to read them all whilst at the same time banging on about how awful they are and how they should be deleted. It just isn't logical or reasonable.

I get the impression that you are about my age (give or take a few years).

Long ago - and I mean long - I gave up expecting my fellow man to be logical, more recently I have abandoned the expectation of reasonableness as well.

Of course this attitude of mine may be illogical and even unreasonable.

But I don't think so.

If the forum rules say unequivocally that no discussion of religion or politics is allowed then it shouldn't be allowed.

If it is then change the wording.

Is that so difficult?

• Greenie 2

6 hours ago, nicknorman said:

This reminds me of a cartoon by the late, great Daily Express cartoonist Giles. After prince Philip, ever the diplomat, had opined that "The Daily Express is a bloody awful newspaper", Giles had one of his t characters commenting "Well at least he must read it, or he wouldn't know that it was a bloody awful newspaper".

No one is dragged kicking and screaming to any thread about any subject: if the title doesn't look appealing, there's no compunction to read it.

39 minutes ago, Athy said:

This reminds me of a cartoon by the late, great Daily Express cartoonist Giles. After prince Philip, ever the diplomat, had opined that "The Daily Express is a bloody awful newspaper", Giles had one of his t characters commenting "Well at least he must read it, or he wouldn't know that it was a bloody awful newspaper".

No one is dragged kicking and screaming to any thread about any subject: if the title doesn't look appealing, there's no compunction to read it.

Totally off topic, for which I apologise in advance: we have an elderly neighbour who is a visually exact French equivalent of Giles’ grandma. She is lovely, unlike the Daily Express.

Rather than using the topic title to decide if it is worth 'opening', I have more and more come to choose by looking at the name of the 'poster'.

There are a few 'new names' that have appeared over recent months that rarely ever post about boating matters, and seem to always post about headline news for one of the sensationalist news papers.

One supposes that they are disgruntled ex-members under a second name trying to stir things up, I guess only the tech-team will know

Apparently its easy enough to find out names and addresses from the IP address. (I don't know how, but was reading a 'security' article about it)

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Rather than using the topic title to decide if it is worth 'opening', I have more and more come to choose by looking at the name of the 'poster'.

There are a few 'new names' that have appeared over recent months that rarely ever post about boating matters, and seem to always post about headline news for one of the sensationalist news papers.

One supposes that they are disgruntled ex-members under a second name trying to stir things up, I guess only the tech-team will know

Apparently its easy enough to find out names and addresses from the IP address. (I don't know how, but was reading a 'security' article about it)

Yes, one of the Moddies is very good at this - I have no idea how it's done - and has rooted out several "sock puppets", which is probably a mixed metaphor. But I think you may be referring to genuinely new members.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They are 'new' members with the name they are using, but have they been members before - obviously some are new/new but others ??

As I mentioned, several of the latter category have now left these pages.

9 hours ago, Ange said:

From the forum rules

Quite!

Frankly Athy's reply is just ridiculous.

The fact that political threads/posts are actually handled in a totally different way from what the rules require may have been discussed at various times, biut that can't sensibly be used to defend the current situation.

So can Istart a thread that is "a little bit racist" or a "little bit sexist", and expect tht it be tolerated by the moderating team, as long as I don't cross some currently totally undefined line?  Presumably not?  However threads currently slipping in under the fact that "political" content isn't currently really policed clearly come pretty close to being that on occasions.

It is pretty obvious that some fairly recent "new members", (in some cases demonstrably actually old members), have joined purely to try and produce reactions with political stuff.  They don't actually post hardly at all about boats and boating, after all.

• Greenie 1

50 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And some would appear to be still posting.

29 minutes ago, Athy said:

Not to my knowledge, though I have no proof.

I have reported an obvious duplicate ID being used by one political poster.  The report was acknowledged as being correct, but deemed to be harmless.  Both IDs remain - a breach of the rules.

Also, although not necessarily coming within the scope of the more political posters, it is simply impossible not to recognise one of the latest reincarnations of a very well known banned member.  OK, he is isn't currently actualy being that controversial, but by creating another ID, (or series of them), the bans are clearly meaningless.

So are the moderating team aware of this, and have they decided to ignore.  Or can you actually not spot the obvious reincarnations of some "former" members?

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

So are the moderating team aware of this, and have they decided to ignore?  Or can you actually not spot the obvious reincarnations of some "former" members?

Alan. that's rather a "Have you stopped beating your wife?" type of question.

However, to its two parts I would answer "No" and "Yes" (with the caveat that I'm taking "You" as a collective plural). At least one "reincarnation" has been sent to Room 101 in the last few weeks. But if you think that you have spotted another one, do feel free to report it if you so wish.

Edited by Athy