Interesting Error Message

Featured Posts

49 minutes ago, billS said:

...or just don't bother reading controversial threads in the Virtual Pub.

Why don't we have a separate bar and lounge in the pub. It he bar was not shown on "New Content", then people would have to make a conscious decision to go there. The rest of the forum and the lounge could be moderated with zero tolerance of political threads and postings, whilst the bar could be very lightly moderated. This way no one could be offended by political discussion unless they go looking for it.

We could call the bar - Thunderbar.

I've always thought this would be a good idea, although I'm not keen on your suggested name :)

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I've always thought this would be a good idea, although I'm not keen on your suggested name :)

Wunderbar.  Not to be confused with the brand of underwear famous for making... bosoms... look bigger and more impressive than they actually are. 

Just on the subject of “liberal values” it always amuses (no actually, slightly depresses me) that those proclaiming the most liberal values are those who strive the most to silence anyone with different views. Which doesn’t seem to me to be very liberal!

• Greenie 2

But there's no need - there is already an area on the internet which is almost completely unmoderated and allows discussion of controversial or political topics - just go there if you want that kind of thing.

This forum shouldn't need to participate in the "race to the bottom" of lively off-topic discussion. It should set a reasonable framework of moderation but its important that the rules are consistently applied rather than the present situation.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, billS said:

We could call the bar - Thunderbar.

Sounds like the Politics forum that started all the grief last time round. I agree the rules could be applied more consistently and I don’t understand why trolling sock puppets aren’t chucked off more expeditiously, but this place remains the best waterways related forum by a mile for me.

As Bilbo said:

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

It's the ilumimati (or however it's spelled) working in the background to hide the flat earth, the truth is out there

:)

The Earth is definitely flat. If it was round as the heretics claim, what does the giant tortoise that must be supporting it, stand on?

5 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I hope you didn't also consider the PM you sent to me the other day after I called out your behaviour "an attempt to patch things up"!

It seems to me Nick you love continually dishing it out, but actually don't much like it when people challenge your behaviour.

And as you asked...................

Whilst these purely "political" type threads continue to be allowed against forum rules, there are a swathe of people who will constantly be fired up to start posting stuff I strongly disagree with.  Whilst I generally can't be bothered to respond to people who have no better argument than "Corbyn is an absolute joke" or "I will leave this country if he is ever elected", (to those saying that, please do, by the way!), I agree strongly with Ange that if people are allowed to post this stuff, any of us should have the right of reply.

If you wan't to go and discuss it in some place I'm not part of that's not down to me, but the rules are very clear it should not be allowed on here, as they currently stand.  Some of our "newest" members are clearly "former" members who, however much they claim to loath this platform, have still re-registered under new names to escape previous bans.  It seems there is no will amongst those running the forum that that should change.

As someone who has said in the past that Corbyn is a joke I would just like to clarify that is shorthand for his politics being unrealistic, unaffordable and make him hopefully unelectible. 

But it would get repetitive typing out all the reasons why that is the case each time, so simply calling him out for the clown he is saves bandwidth and reduces the risk  of RSI.

Besides if you want a detailed in depth and profound discussion about his politics i dont think a boating forum is the place to get it, do you?

1 hour ago, MJG said:

As someone who has said in the past that Corbyn is a joke I would just like to clarify that is shorthand for his politics being unrealistic, unaffordable and make him hopefully unelectible. 

But it would get repetitive typing out all the reasons why that is the case each time, so simply calling him out for the clown he is saves bandwidth and reduces the risk  of RSI.

Besides if you want a detailed in depth and profound discussion about his politics i dont think a boating forum is the place to get it, do you?

Which is why perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad idea to keep a boating forum, (or at least this one) free of political discussion.  It is after all what the rules say.

But seeing as the rules seem to count for nothing until everybody else stops, (or is at least told to), I'm not necessarily going to hold back.

The thing about Corbyn is that he has from the outset been widely dismissed as a total joke or a clown, and of course continues to be.

Now we are told nearly half of Tory members believe he will be the next PM.

Huffington Post Article

If there is any grain of truth in that, he really isn't doing badly for a total joke or clown, is he?

4 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

Sounds like the Politics forum that started all the grief last time round. I agree the rules could be applied more consistently and I don’t understand why trolling sock puppets aren’t chucked off more expeditiously, but this place remains the best waterways related forum by a mile for me.

As Bilbo said:

Perhaps you could help out the Mods and name these supposed trolling sock puppets. 

Phil 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Which is why perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad idea to keep a boating forum, (or at least this one) free of political discussion.  It is after all what the rules say.

But seeing as the rules seem to count for nothing until everybody else stops, (or is at least told to), I'm not necessarily going to hold back.

The thing about Corbyn is that he has from the outset been widely dismissed as a total joke or a clown, and of course continues to be.

Now we are told nearly half of Tory members believe he will be the next PM.

Huffington Post Article

If there is any grain of truth in that, he really isn't doing badly for a total joke or clown, is he?

Yes, I agree, I withdraw the unelectable,

I forgot The trump and brexit effect. AKA the desire for change, any change brings about many unintended consequences.

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I interpret that as meaning, "since the rules are interpreted in a tolerant and liberal way". The forum's stance on threads which treat on politics has been mentioned several times in the last few months.