Interesting Error Message

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

I have reported your continuing “out of the blue” attack. It will be interesting to see if the forum rules are upheld or whether, as a former member of the “team”, you get preferential treatment.

Now you're adding to ridiculous! So if you're found to be silly it's because I used to count their beans?

5 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I have reported your continuing “out of the blue” attack. It will be interesting to see if the forum rules are upheld or whether, as a former member of the “team”, you get preferential treatment.

The forum rules are randomly and arbitrarily applied as any fule kno.

(Which is why I no longer financially support the forum.)

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Shouty outrage at that - the very best sort. 

Did you read the thread first or just leap in with auto-outrage?

What thread?

I'M SHOUTRAGED now. And it's ALL YOUR FAULT.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ange said:

Now you're adding to ridiculous! So if you're found to be silly it's because I used to count their beans?

I’ve reported a couple of personal attacks recently from “well regarded” members. I’m not quite sure why there has been a spate of it when I mostly only post on here helping people with technical stuff these days. However the posts were left standing, which makes me think the same is likely to happen now. It’s interesting that these personal attacks have come from people who I have met and seemed to get one with fine, and have started since I became a member of Thunderboat. That seems to be an unforgivable crime.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

I’ve reported a couple of personal attacks recently from “well regarded” members. I’m not quite sure why there has been a spate of it when I mostly only post on here helping people with technical stuff these days. However the posts were left standing, which makes me think the same is likely to happen now. It’s interesting that these personal attacks have come from people who I have met and seemed to get one with fine, and have started since I became a member of Thunderboat. That seems to be an unforgivable crime.

As one who used to promote the idea that one 'chooses' to be offended and should be condemned for so doing, you you seem to be doing a LOT of 'choosing' here these days. Hypocrisy in my opinion, or shit stirring.

(Probably the latter.)

I find it very interesting that you appeared on this thread to mock Alan and then are so aggrieved when you're accused of mocking.

You reap what you sow Nick - yes you do give a lot of good advice but then you can't help yourself

6 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I think you place too much importance on your membership of the boat of thunder.. 

The moderation is an inconsistent mess, but I don't think there's ever been a denial this is the case, or any great motivation to do much about it. It is what it is - this forum has 'rules' which are a bit daft in places - and which might/might not be applied. People need to understand this, and I think the vast majority do. Indeed these days there is now a choice of "canal" forum, there used to be much more limited choice. It does seem that the forum does well (in terms of visitors, users etc if not actual financial sustainability) despite, or maybe because of this. 

By the way I'm not reading or responding to the personal messages that Nick's sending me. Let's keep this conversation in the public domain

Edited by Ange

1 minute ago, Ange said:

I find it very interesting that you appeared on this thread to mock Alan and then are so aggrieved when you're accused of mocking.

You reap what you sow Nick - yes you do give a lot of good advice but then you can't help yourself

Yes I did mock Alan just a little but - but he deserved it (in my opinion!). It’s an old argument I know, but I just don’t get the rationality of people who make a big fuss about certain types of thread whilst avidly reading them - when the seemingly obvious and much easier solution is to simply not read them.

And you should remember that he is quite free with his mocking of me! But it is a stretch too far to map my occasional mocking of Alan, onto you. 

1 minute ago, Ange said:

By the way I'm not reading or responding to the personal messages that Nick's sending me. Let's keep this conversation in the public doy

Nick is having a LOVELY time tonight baiting the forum regulars. He isn't upset really, don't worry about it. He wants you to go over to TB really ;) . 

23 minutes ago, Ange said:

By the way I'm not reading or responding to the personal messages that Nick's sending me. Let's keep this conversation in the public domain

Well that’s an odd thing to say because you did reply to my PM trying to “patch things up”. But the tone of your reply made it clear there is no hope of doing so.

28 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

As one who used to promote the idea that one 'chooses' to be offended and should be condemned for so doing, you you seem to be doing a LOT of 'choosing' here these days. Hypocrisy in my opinion, or shit stirring.

(Probably the latter.)

I still promote that idea. But I don’t see your point, have I said anywhere that I am offended? No I am merely under personal attack for no apparent reason and as I understand it, the correct action is to report the issue rather than retaliate, which is what I’ve done.

Of course it doesn’t take long for the playground bullies to come along and join in the attack. Plus ca change.

Edited by nicknorman

16 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I still promote that idea. But I don’t see your point, have I said anywhere that I am offended? No I am merely under personal attack for no apparent reason and as I understand it, the correct action is to report the issue rather than retaliate, which is what I’ve done.

Of course it doesn’t take long for the playground bullies to come along and join in the attack. Plus ca change.

You DO make me smile!

I still can't quitew decide if you mean all your twaddle on here or if you are just here for stirring and fun. 

The latter I still think, on balance. 

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You DO make me smile!

I still can't quitew decide if you mean all your twaddle on here or if you are just here for stirring and fun. 

The latter I still think, on balance. 

Well do YOU know why out of the blue, Ange thinks I’m the devil incarnate and feels it necessary to publicly proclaim it? I am mostly on here to help people with electrical stuff. Things like helping them to calibrate their Smartgauges! But for some reason recently whenever I venture into a non technical topic (something I rarely do these days) I just get attacked. It didn’t used to be like this on here, not sure what has changed.

Anyway, I’m sure that any time soon this whole thread will get deleted. Sooner the better!

Bless you Nick - you really are the vctim aren't you.  Have you ever considered that you Imight have wounded and hurt people on the internet? Seriously have you ever considered you might be wrrong,? The worst for me has you taking the moral high ground whilst rejoicing in people's hurts

Edited by Ange

15 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Well do YOU know why out of the blue, Ange thinks I’m the devil incarnate and feels it necessary to publicly proclaim it? I am mostly on here to help people with electrical stuff. Things like helping them to calibrate their Smartgauges! But for some reason recently whenever I venture into a non technical topic (something I rarely do these days) I just get attacked. It didn’t used to be like this on here, not sure what has changed.

Anyway, I’m sure that any time soon this whole thread will get deleted. Sooner the better!

Calm down and get a grip Nick. You're reaping what you sowed. Have a good look at yourself. Yes you are EXCELLENT at technical help but you post shit stirring/non technical stuff equally as often here I reckon, should I trawl through your posting history. Shall I have a look?

• Greenie 3

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Calm down and get a grip Nick. You're reaping what you sowed. Have a good look at yourself. Yes you are EXCELLENT at technical help but you post shit stirring/non technical stuff equally as often here I reckon, should I trawl through your posting history. Shall I have a look?

Yes please do. In particular look for posts where I have “mocked and disparaged” Ange, since that is the original accusation. And let’s limit to a reasonable time frame, say in the past 3 years.

I have more than 16,000 posts. No doubt there is the occasional mocking which is reciprocated (or more normally, the reciprocation). People who are unable to work locks properly without fear and paranoia and faffery have come in for some stick  but only when they proclaim they are god’s appointed expert on the subject, having been boating for just a few years.

More normally, on a non-technical subject I often have a different view to the group. I spend time carefully setting it out, with reasons. But it is not read properly, misread, has meaning not present in the original, added etc. Mostly I think there are a group of people on here including you who cannot fathom that people might have a different but equally valid view from themselves. It isn’t possible! The groupthink is the only possible view!  Therefore the only other possible explanation is that I am insincerely shit stirring, doing it to get a reaction etc. Rather sad, but unfortunately a very prevalent modern ill. Tracey Ullman has it down to a T:

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Well that’s an odd thing to say because you did reply to my PM trying to “patch things up”. But the tone of your reply made it clear there is no hope of doing so.

I hope you didn't also consider the PM you sent to me the other day after I called out your behaviour "an attempt to patch things up"!

It seems to me Nick you love continually dishing it out, but actually don't much like it when people challenge your behaviour.

And as you asked...................

Whilst these purely "political" type threads continue to be allowed against forum rules, there are a swathe of people who will constantly be fired up to start posting stuff I strongly disagree with.  Whilst I generally can't be bothered to respond to people who have no better argument than "Corbyn is an absolute joke" or "I will leave this country if he is ever elected", (to those saying that, please do, by the way!), I agree strongly with Ange that if people are allowed to post this stuff, any of us should have the right of reply.

If you wan't to go and discuss it in some place I'm not part of that's not down to me, but the rules are very clear it should not be allowed on here, as they currently stand.  Some of our "newest" members are clearly "former" members who, however much they claim to loath this platform, have still re-registered under new names to escape previous bans.  It seems there is no will amongst those running the forum that that should change.

8 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Some of our "newest" members are clearly "former" members who, however much they claim to loath this platform, have still re-registered under new names to escape previous bans.  It seems there is no will amongst those running the forum that that should change.

Or, that the forum rules should be implemented.

Either don't have rules, or, have rules and enforce them.

...or just don't bother reading controversial threads in the Virtual Pub.

Why don't we have a separate bar and lounge in the pub. It he bar was not shown on "New Content", then people would have to make a conscious decision to go there. The rest of the forum and the lounge could be moderated with zero tolerance of political threads and postings, whilst the bar could be very lightly moderated. This way no one could be offended by political discussion unless they go looking for it.

We could call the bar - Thunderbar.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

I hope you didn't also consider the PM you sent to me the other day after I called out your behaviour "an attempt to patch things up"!

It seems to me Nick you love continually dishing it out, but actually don't much like it when people challenge your behaviour.

And as you asked...................

Whilst these purely "political" type threads continue to be allowed against forum rules, there are a swathe of people who will constantly be fired up to start posting stuff I strongly disagree with.  Whilst I generally can't be bothered to respond to people who have no better argument than "Corbyn is an absolute joke" or "I will leave this country if he is ever elected", (to those saying that, please do, by the way!), I agree strongly with Ange that if people are allowed to post this stuff, any of us should have the right of reply.

If you wan't to go and discuss it in some place I'm not part of that's not down to me, but the rules are very clear it should not be allowed on here, as they currently stand.  Some of our "newest" members are clearly "former" members who, however much they claim to loath this platform, have still re-registered under new names to escape previous bans.  It seems there is no will amongst those running the forum that that should change.

No to the first bit. In your case I wrote a phrase of a few words that you decided to wrap in a whole lot of imagined meaning which was only in your head. You described my phrase as grossly offensive etc even though it was an entirley made up (by you) outrage. The mods, unsurprisingly, didn’t agree with you at all. Therefore my PM to you was more one of explanation and yes, remonstration for “going off the deep end” and publicly attacking me for no reason.

As to the rest, you are not the custodian of CWDF and therefore you don’t have to log into every political thread to be the guardian of what you see as your liberal values. As I said, it seems odd to me to be so desperate to read stuff you find so objectionable. I can’t help being reminded of Mary Whitehouse and TV smut.

FYI this is what I sent to Angie by PM:

“Hi Ange

i rather surprised and slightly upset by your comments about me. I thought we were “OK” and I have no recollection of mocking or deriding you. Are you sure it was me?”

Obviously I won’t post what she came back to me with, but it wasn’t very nice.

Edited by nicknorman