Interesting Error Message

Featured Posts

Just got this when trying to open a thread, (I wasn't actually trying to post anything).

Yes, I was logged in as me.

As I have one of the highest post counts going it doesn't make a great deal of sense.....

Sorry, there is a problem

Members are required to have a post count of 10 or more to post in the 'virtual pub' off topic area.

Error code: 2S136/V

Tempted to say the post count is held as a 16 bit signed integer (with apologies to those who don't write computer code) and once you reached 32,768 posts it "ran off the end" to a big negative number.

Another 30,000 posts or so and you'll be fine...

43 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

Tempted to say the post count is held as a 16 bit signed integer (with apologies to those who don't write computer code) and once you reached 32,768 posts it "ran off the end" to a big negative number.

Another 30,000 posts or so and you'll be fine...

Happened to me as well, same message, it will take me 50yrs to achieve Alan's numbers 

;)

17 minutes ago, RichM said:

Which topic are you trying to view? I tested some random topics in the Virtual Pub with normal user permissions and it worked ok this end. Need to be able to replicate the problem.

Thanks

RichM

When you are in a hole, keep digging.

Which in other circumstances also gives

Sorry, there is a problem

We could not locate the item you are trying to view.

Error code: 2F173/O

As it is one of those threads designed to try and stir up a situation where it will cause someone to get it locked, my guess is that it has had "moderator intervention", and left in some kind of unsatisfactory state - but that's purely a guess.

I wouldn't be disappointed if these political threads clearly started with a knowledge that they break forum rules always got deleted as soon as they appear.

Either that or drop the forum rule, but the current situation where some rules can be repeatedly broken, and others not is a complete joke IMO.

• Greenie 2

OK makes more sense now. Thank you. After having a look at the topic in question I can advise that it is not a technical issue per se but the error message you see is misleading. - It is however automatically generated by the forum software as a result of the topic in question no longer being visible. 

All other active topics in that forum should be visible. Apologies for any confusion caused. 

Cheers

RichM 

Technical admin

2 minutes ago, RichM said:

OK makes more sense now. Thank you. After having a look at the topic in question I can advise that it is not a technical issue per se but the error message you see is misleading. - It's automatically generated by the forum software as a result of the topic in question no longer being visible. 

All other active topics in that forum should be visible however but apologies for any confusion caused. 

Cheers

RichM 

Technical admin

If it is no longer visible, why does it still appear in a "View new posts"?

Normally if a thread has been hidden, then it is completely hidden, isn't it?

Edited by alan_fincher

Just now, RichM said:

OK makes more sense now. Thank you. After having a look at the topic in question I can advise that it is not a technical issue per se but the error message you see is misleading. - It's automatically generated by the forum software as a result of the topic in question no longer being visible. 

Technical admin

Well it's still showing up in "View new content".

35 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

As it is one of those threads designed to try and stir up a situation where it will cause someone to get it locked, my guess is that it has had "moderator intervention", and left in some kind of unsatisfactory state - but that's purely a guess.

I wouldn't be disappointed if these political threads clearly started with a knowledge that they break forum rules always got deleted as soon as they appear.

Either that or drop the forum rule, but the current situation where some rules can be repeatedly broken, and others not is a complete joke IMO.

I agree. It's well overdue for the rules to be amended or enforced. Otherwise, as Alan says, it makes a complete farce of the forum rules.

32 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Yet another doppleganger?

*sigh* undoubtedly

I've no idea what's going on behind the scenes but I suspect it's what made me walk away - lots of good intentions but no decisions/action

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

You’ve got to admit that it’s highly amusing that you spend time trying and failing to get onto a thread, spend time complaining that you can’t get onto the thread, and then go on to say that you’d quite like this thread that you have expended so much energy on trying to view, to be deleted. Seems quite perverse!

As an alternative and time saving tip, why not just decline to view the thread in the first place, once you have determined that it’s the sort of thread you’d like deleted?

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

You’ve got to admit that it’s highly amusing that you spend time trying and failing to get onto a thread, spend time complaining that you can’t get onto the thread, and then go on to say that you’d quite like this thread that you have expended so much energy on trying to view, to be deleted. Seems quite perverse!

As an alternative and time saving tip, why not just decline to view the thread in the first place, once you have determined that it’s the sort of thread you’d like deleted?

Because sometimes you have to keep an eye on unsavoury topics just in case the pro Tommy Robinson anti Muslim brigade go unapposed and end up backslapping themselves in their new truth. I'm 100,% with Alan on this. There are better posters than me, far more eloquent and I look at the thread in the hope I won't need to speak up, but desperately hope someone will step forward first.

Now feel free to mock and deride me as you've done in the past.

Just now, Ange said:

Because sometimes you have to keep an eye on unsavoury topics just in case the pro Tommy Robinson anti Muslim brigade go unapposed and end up backslapping themselves in their new truth. I'm 100,% with Alan on this. There are better posters than me, far more eloquent and I look at the thread in the hope I won't need to speak up, but desperately hope someone will step forward first.

Now feel free to mock and deride me as you've done in the past.

Oh really, when did I mock and deride you? I think you are making that up. I might have disagreed with you at some point, is that the same thing in your book? I think you should provide evidence (in which case I will apologise) or withdraw your accusation.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Oh really, when did I mock and deride you? I think you are making that up. I might have disagreed with you at some point, is that the same thing in your book? I think you should provide evidence (in which case I will apologise) or withdraw your accusation.

Of course you did. I could find the relevant posts with a lot of time spent searching but you wouldn't apologise, just excuse your behaviour. So no, I won't find the posts nor will I withdraw the accusation.

Edited by Ange

9 minutes ago, Ange said:

Of course you did. I could find the relevant posts with a lot of time spent searching but you wouldn't apologise, just excuse your behaviour. So no, I won't find the posts nor will I withdraw the accusation.

This is an unfounded personal attack and against the forum rules and guidelines.

That's actually quite funny under the circumstances! I look forward to being reprimanded by the moderating team.

I'm always amazed that someone so quick on the attack is so sensitive

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Which in other circumstances also gives

Alan this request repeatedly falls on deaf ears. It makes the forum rules look utterly stupid, yet no matter how many times it's pointed out, nothing changes.

2 minutes ago, Ange said:

That's actually quite funny under the circumstances! I look forward to being reprimanded by the moderating team.

Could you remind us all when was the last time I attacked you - quickly or otherwise?

7 minutes ago, Ange said:

I have reported your continuing “out of the blue” attack. It will be interesting to see if the forum rules are upheld or whether, as a former member of the “team”, you get preferential treatment.

12 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

This is an unfounded personal attack and against the forum rules and guidelines.

This is actually meant to be a serious post? Really? As in Really?

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

I have reported your continuing “out of the blue” attack. It will be interesting to see if the forum rules are upheld or whether, as a former member of the “team”, you get preferential treatment.

You are starting to sound like a child Nick.