1924 Trip on the Regents Canal

Hawksey

Featured Posts

Great film.  A shot of Gardiner's department store at its eponymous Corner too.

Why was the tow cast off when the horse was on the bridge just past Hampstead Road?  Was the barge going to pass under the towpath bridge and into the warehousing?

4 hours ago, sans allumette said:

Multiple (free to watch) canal-related films on the BFI site:

LINKY

Thanks. Northchurch vid has some footage of

Dipper

Cygnus and Baildon

Edited by mark99

7 hours ago, Tacet said:

Great film.  A shot of Gardiner's department store at its eponymous Corner too.

Why was the tow cast off when the horse was on the bridge just past Hampstead Road?  Was the barge going to pass under the towpath bridge and into the warehousing?

I would say because another boat was approaching and had a better approach to Camden lock (which was open and ready) if the boat in the film passed on the "wrong side" and reattached the tow rope when they arrived at the next bridge. These barges had big rudders so steering once underway was a doddle. A similar maneuver was shown earlier in the film (5:18) the boat was not the wrong side in this case but seems to be steered under momentum no tow line visible. 

One of the things I really like about old films and pictures is that everyone knows what to do to make the whole thing work properly. These days if someone went the "wrong side" or "green to green" and the other steerer didn't understand it there would be all sorts of agro. Even if the contravening steerer was simply trying to make everything easier it could still be misinterpreted by someone who can't see the bigger picture. 

Edited by magnetman

• 2 years later...

A new, I think,  version of this, heavily 'restored'. I have mixed feelings, at one level it's amazing but also feels a bit too good to be true. Maybe that's because I grew up knowing that those times were lived in murky monochrome.

The clean up of the film has even made the air clearer than today, little sign of the then ubiquitous coal smoke!

Apologies, I managed to miss the other post of this item.

I like seeing the old Islington tunnel keepers house in pictures or films. 

Nothing left on the front  it has all been bricked over.

I did some rooting around on top by the maple trees and there is a manhole cover. I didn't open it but did wonder what may lie beneath...

In the pictures it looks like a proper house. That would take a lot of filling in.

Of course it's possible it was just demolished completely and replaced with an earth bank but that seems to be a lot of work. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

Regarding the tunnel keepers house, it looks like it stood proud from the tunnel face wall, if so, it would have been a very simple one room above the other, with a privy to one side. I suppose there is the possibility that it went into the back wall, but that surely would have been a dark place!

• Greenie 1

A couple more interesting films. The first is Rotterdam in 1925, with some good views of inland shipping and tugs.

The next is for those who like steam trams, though there is a short view of a canal lift bridge.

18 hours ago, Pluto said:

A couple more interesting films. The first is Rotterdam in 1925, with some good views of inland shipping and tugs.

The next is for those who like steam trams, though there is a short view of a canal lift bridge.

I've watched the second film - which offers much more than just steam trams (which don't appear until more than half way through anyway). There are electric trains and trams, a plethora of road vehicles, many of which look like Model T Fords but probably aren't, a widebeam 'bus which just squeezes through a gap. My favourite moment comes just before the 10-minute mark when the most gorgeous steam tank loco chugs across the screen pulling a local passenger train. It looks ancient, but a bit of internet digging suggests that it's one of the 1005 class 0-6-0 tanks built in Germany for the Dutch railways only a decade earlier. One is preserved and spent time on the Bluebell Railway earlier this century.

Edited by Athy